Code of Conduct

Default UK female Perfumista wanted for interview / possible freebie too

See this post here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214714

In brief:

Hi there,

I am writing a piece for a national newspaper (working title: 'The Rise Of The Perfumista').
    As you might have guessed it is about people who are passionate and very well informed about perfume, as well as the blog sites that have fuelled the phenomenon.

I hope this isn't a breach of forum rules but I would really like to ask forum members, what it is that they think makes people so passionate about perfume, driving them to collect fragrances in the way that others collect shoes?

There is also a theory (mine!) that people who love fragrance, also tend to love food, wine and the finer, more sensual things in life.

I was also wondering if there is anyone out there (ideally female) who would be prepared to talk to me about their perfume collection and love of fragrance?

Any comments/feedback appreciated

mille merci

mimi pompom
    AND

Hi all,

thanks again for the responses. I am still looking for a UK-based perfume addict (must be female) to talk to me about their passion for perfume for the newspaper article I am writing.

If anyone knows a female UK based perfume-lover who might fit the bill I'd be very grateful and can offer a bottle of the latest reworked Chanel No5 as a reward/bribe for talking to me! (Again, I hope this doesn't break the rules of the forum!)

(Also, can change names if people don't want to be identified in print)

mille merci

Mimi ;-0
    Please respond to this thread or send a PM to mimi pompom

Default Re: UK female Perfumista wanted for interview / possible freebie too

It's a pity I'm not British as I'm pretty much like the person described.
    Well, I guess many of us here feel the same.

I am just wondering now if other members are only passionate about fragrances or about odours in general ?
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Ah hell yes, count me in!
    Erm, I live in Switzerland now though. But I'm home visiting my Mum for a fortnight!

Aw hell. Clemmie! Sestra! Indie! Kewart! Moondeva! Come on down!!!!!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 3rd September 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Hi,

I am based in Staffordshire and was afflicted with perfume mania this January. Since then, all my free time has been spent reading up about the subject and building an extensive library of samples, loitering in airport Duty Free shops and branches of Boots, opening the minds of my one-perfume owning "fragrance loyalist" friends, and chatting to other perfumistas on blogs. I am in my 40's and greatly regret the fact that I have had this "Rose to Damascene Experience" so late in life!

Would love to help - could come to London if that is where you are.

VM I hate civet (but love many other notes!)
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 4th September 2008 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Erm, I live in Switzerland now though. But I'm home visiting my Mum for a fortnight!

Wordbird, you are too kind in hinting that I know what I'm talking about. I think you would be perfect for the job, and I bow to the greater knowledge of all you name above. The phenomenon that is Moondeva has been gone too long from Basenotes. I wish she would return to dazzle us once more.

Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post

Pick me! Pick me! *jumps up and down waving hands in the air*
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Ooh Clem! You'd be perfect! And you, Wordbird! You're both brimming with ideas and insights

EDITED TO ADD: Actually at the moment I type this message... youre also BOTH sitting on 924 posts! Quel coincidence!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 4th September 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Oh dear - I can't compete on posts as I only joined Basenotes today (!), following a tip off about this thread from a Nowsmellthis member - to which I am a fairly prolific contributor under my real name (Vanessa). If affiliation with a particular blog site affects a person's eligibility for this interview, I am most royally stuffed!

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Oh dear - I can't compete on posts as I only joined Basenotes today (!), following a tip off about this thread from a Nowsmellthis member - to which I am a fairly prolific contributor under my real name (Vanessa). If affiliation with a particular blog site affects a person's eligibility for this interview, I am most royally stuffed!
    I think she is just looking for a female perfumista from the UK, regardless of where they normally hang out.

Besides - you're officially one of us now! (many of the members here have 'dual nationalities' with NST, MUA etc..) and you've got five posts! and there are thousand of people signed up here that have never even posted!

Thanks, Grant. I actually visit Basenotes every day, but to date have mostly used the Fragrance Directory and Reviews section. I almost feel I know some of the regular reviewers on there and what they like (especially Vibert and SirSlarty) and find their comments really helpful in guiding my sample purchases. I guess now I could go on and post my own...!

Talking Re: UK female Perfumista wanted for interview / possible freebie too

I support VM I hate civet!

This is a really nice thread because it's bringing the lurkers out of hiding.
    Hi VM I Hate Civet! Hi Dr Mu! Nice to meet you both.

And Sestra, you're being far too modest.
    I wish we could get Moondeva back again too.

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I never thought it was a competition on how many posts we'd placed here...how funny! I really don't mind either way, I think Wordbird would be spectacular too.

I've been a bit out of it on the forum lately as my dad had major heart surgery, and I've been trekking up and down the country quite a bit. He's home now (less than 4 weeks after his op - and at 81 I think that's amazing!). We shall see how all this turns out, eh?

*bounce bounce*
    Bill Cosby

Welcome back Clemmie, it's good to see you posting again.

Ooh wow sounds like lots of good candidates now! Maybe even have a bit of a sniff-fest with Clemmie, Sestra, VM I Hate Civet (lol at your name! I'm not a fan of civet either, having just discovered how it smells!) and Wordbird if she's in town!

[QUOTE=Clemmie;1301849] I never thought it was a competition on how many posts we'd placed here...how funny! I really don't mind either way, I think Wordbird would be spectacular too.

Hey, I'm sure you didn't...that was just my (over)reaction! to Dimitri's happening to draw attention to your and Wordbird's humungous number of posts at the same moment as he was supporting your "candidacy". I guess it made me feel that I was trying to break into a bit of a closed shop... But I have gone past that now, and actually the social dynamics of the various blog sites might make an interesting strand in Mimi Pompom's article! Nowsmellthis strikes me as less personal than Basenotes on the whole, though people sometimes address a comment directly to another member (apart from the moderator doing so, I mean). Yes, initial impressions are that Basenotes is a lot more informal and chummy!

I haven't got the hang of this quoting lark, have I?!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 7th September 2008 at 01:12 PM.

Hiya VM I hate Civet,

My bad... I wasn't trying to exclude you in any way shape or form... I've just had numerous exchanges via PM or snail mail with both Clemmie and Wordbird in the past, and felt either one of them would fit the bill perfectly. (Unfortunately I couldnt say the same for you, as, well I havent a clue about you!)

I only noticed that their post counter was identical, when you drew attention to your own by stating you had just joined BN. There's definitely room for more here, and we expect that you'll stick around and contribute your wisdom and insights. The more the merrier!

I hope we haven't got off on the wrong foot here.

Hi Dimitri

We most certainly haven't got off on the wrong foot, and thanks for your welcoming words - I was probably being oversensitive as a newbie, but after just a few posts, I must say I do feel slightly less of one now! I would like to apologise on my side for missing out one of the "i"s in your name in my recent post on the men's discussion about niche vs designer frags...

VM

No harm done VN... for some reason a lot of people do the same, but what the heck - I know who we're talking about.
    But if ever in doubt, throw in a few exra 'i's for good measure... I have 8 'i''s in my full name anyhow!

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Welcome back Clemmie, it's good to see you posting again.
    Thank you Sestra. I have missed being here.
    Bill Cosby

Does anyone know if MimiPompom found someone already, or whether she is not planning to make a decision "tout sweet"?

Does anyone know if MimiPompom found someone already, or whether she is not planning to make a decision "tout sweet"?
    No idea. Would be nice to find out wouldn't it?
    Bill Cosby

I think she has spoken to someone. I don't know who though. I've also no idea when it will be out, or if indeed if BN will be included. If I find anything out, I'll of course let uyou all know

cheers

I don't know if she's speaking to others (more experienced and possibly capable of forming more coherent answers) but I had a chat with her.
    She said she was only looking really for a couple of quotes, so I'm hoping if she does use anything I said I don't sound like the complete numpty that I am in phone conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by chaoskitty View Post
    I don't know if she's speaking to others (more experienced and possibly capable of forming more coherent answers) but I had a chat with her.
    She said she was only looking really for a couple of quotes, so I'm hoping if she does use anything I said I don't sound like the complete numpty that I am in phone conversations.
    'Numpty' - I love that word.

Well I'm glad Basenotes was able to help Mimi and I hope she'll send us a link to her article when it's published. I'll be very interested to read an objective view of the perfume-spotter's world (oh be honest, it's a bit like train spotting only much more glamorous and decadent and you don't have to drink brown beer unless you really like the stuff).

As for being a numpty - I think we all kind of are in our own ways. I'm a doofus about lots of things (perfume things, though I'm generally a doofus a lot of the time anyway) and have a tin nose when it comes to picking out notes, but I do have rather too much time on my hands (I do a lot of washing up and cooking) so I find myself thinking about perfumes. It's a harmless obsession.

And can I second (or maybe third or even fourth) the point that it doesn't matter how many posts you've made or how long you've been a perfume maniac or even if you own more than X number of bottles. Everyone and anyone can think interesting thoughts, ask interesting questions or make interesting points. Which is what happens here and it's why I like BN.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 17th September 2008 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaoskitty View Post
    I hoping if she does use anything I said I don't sound like the complete numpty that I am in phone conversations.
    Love that word 'numpty' too! In fact now that you mention it 'Perfumista Numpty' sounds like a great name for a mate of Harry Potter's. I can just imagine her being totally accident prone and wreaking havoc in the chemistry lab. Sorry, I digress, I bet you were fine chaoskitty and I hope we can all read the article at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Fabulous! Thanks for posting that.
    Bill Cosby

You don't sound like a numpty at all, Chaoskitty! Great stuff!

Generally though, I don't think the urge to possess exclusive perfumes is necessarily what it is all about for most of us perfumistas though, which seems to be the drift of the article - it is more about smelling everything and finding things to love, whether niche or mainstream. And yes, the niche ones may well turn out to have the edge, but I don't think we start out with that fixed idea to pursue only the very upper end fragrances, discontinued lines etc because of their cachet, in the way one might covet a Birkin bag. What do you all reckon? Did the piece come across like that to you?

You don't sound like a numpty at all, Chaoskitty! Great stuff!

Generally though, I don't think the urge to possess exclusive perfumes is necessarily what it is all about for most of us perfumistas though, which seems to be the drift of the article - it is more about smelling everything and finding things to love, whether niche or mainstream. And yes, the niche ones may well turn out to have the edge, but I don't think we start out with that fixed idea to pursue only the very upper end fragrances, discontinued lines etc because of their cachet, in the way one might covet a Birkin bag. What do you all reckon? Did the piece come across like that to you?

Thank you VM.

I think she was certainly gearing it towards a link with exclusivity, sort of akin to Chloe bags and that sort of thing. I certainly got that sense in the chat I had with her, that the scents that had obviously cost more, or were less accessible was more of what she wanted to know about. Though I suppose there's not much voyeuristic joy reading about owning Tesco perfume, as there is about reading about people clammouring after something discontinued that potentially costs a lot of money.

Certainly the majority of my scents I've grabbed off shelves, so I'm not really in it for the thrill of the chase. But shopping for perfume in Boots probably doesn't make very grabbing copy

The basic premise seems to be that as a lover of perfumes I belong to 'a growing band of fashion fanatics'. I fail to recongise myself in that description. As the piece was written for The Daily Mail, a sensationalist celebrity-obsessed rag, I'm not surprised by the fashion-victim tone in parts of the article. What's all that stuff about handbags and shoes? It doesn't relate to me in any way.

In any poll of Top Ten perfumes, even perfumistas will list ones that are fairly easy to find at a reasonable price, though I concede that many are overpriced to start with in high street stores. On the other hand, you can pick up a bottle of e.g. Roma by Laura Biagiotti, or Byzance by Rochas, and many more treasures, for relative peanuts in The Perfume Shop chain stores.

That a perfume lover will go on to seek out more than can be found in the high street is hardly unusual. The same can be said of anyone with a passion for something. Never ones to eschew a fast buck or the allure of mystique, houses like Guerlain (bloody vandals) will jump on this and manipulate the market, creating yet more exclusivity in their range. Once again, hardly unusual behaviour inside or outside of corporate business.

A follow-up article on the destruction of masterpieces would not go amiss, and concentrate on the aesthetics. It might not be lurid enough for the Daily Mail, though. It would have to be accompanied by a grainy photo with the caption 'First pictures of Mitsouko killer's hidden lair'.

Your headline is killing, Sestra!

Actually I was once interviewed for a feature in the Money pages of the News of the World (amazingly, they do have one!) to do with those current account mortgages where your savings offset your mortgage. The article focused majorly on the benefit of "payment holidays", even though I had clearly told the journalist I didn't think I would ever use this facility, but had got the mortgage with the aim of making "overpayments" to clear my debt sooner. However, after sustained probing, he had got me to concede that such a facility would be useful in theory if I ever went through a bad patch workwise - and when they published the article it had some cheesey title about this product being "a safety net in hard times" or some such nonsense, which made me look like a bit of a loser. Hopefully none of my clients take the NOTW....

Now in this piece in the Mail the quotes from Chaoskitty look absolutely fine ie they would be true of many of us - owning many bottles, the hunt for occasional rare things etc - but the general slant of the piece does strike me as very fashionista-ish. That deeper bond we have with perfume - quite unrelated to things like being seen to be "on-trend" - isn't coming through at all.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 22nd September 2008 at 03:24 PM.

My headline would have been more accurate if I'd included the word 'Evil'. For those unfamiliar with the Daily Mail, it would have given a better idea of its general tone. The DM sees the world as Evil, then delights in bringing 'First pictures of evil nnn....' Will they ever print the Last picture?

The article wasn't that bad, but it assumes a natural connection between someone with style, and someone just following fashion. The two may not be related at all. It also suggests perfumistas will fall for anything if it's expensive enough.

Chaoskitty is clearly a woman of estimable style and elan!

I'm sure your clients would sooner insert pudenda-shaped vegetables in to one another's derrieres than read TNOTW.........................oh, I see.

The odd thing is, that MimiPompom initiated that thread on "People who are passionate about fragrance", and we all poured our hearts out there, and it is quite apparent from scrolling down that the "must have IT bag" motivation is not a main driver - I'd argue, not one at all - for most perfumistas. So it is funny that there was all that raw data on what makes us tick and the role perfume plays in our lives and she sort of rode a coach and horses through it with her "on trend"/"fashionista" premise - and yes, there is a big distinction between being stylish and yearning after designer brands.

So I enjoyed it, and thought it extremely well written and researched, and yet the angle continues to trouble me!