Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, September 6, 2008 ★★★ OPPOSITE-GENDER FRAG

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals • Feb. 2007~Animalics • March 2007~Chypres • April 2007~ Florals • May 2007~Fruity • June 2007~ Citrus • Sept. 2007~Fougere • Oct. 2007~ Amber • Nov. 2007~Spicy • Dec. 2007~ Gourmand • Jan. 2008~Orientals • Feb. 2008~Animalics • March 2008~Chypres • April 2008~Floral • May 2008~Fruity • June 2008~Citrus • July 2008~Green • August 2008

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd September 2008 at 07:38 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, September 6, 2008 ★★★ OPPOSITE-GENDER FR

Weeeeeell, I'm away from my regular stash, so I will have to see what I can find from my travel collection (darling! I'm so cosmopolitan! *snort*) Bulgari Black is the obvious choice since I am Jicky-less.

Though I suppose this would be an ideal prod to go to the men's counter and try something truly different. You know - 'getting your Anteus out of the bathroom cabinet'. Hmm. Should I be brave and post a request for suggestions on the men's board? Ooooh!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, September 6, 2008 ★★★ OPPOSITE-GENDER FR

I knew I bought m bf perfumes for a reason, I'll go manly all the way and not go for bvlgari black or jicky since I wear that regularly already.

So it could be m7 fresh, fou d' absinthe, habit rouge or third man.
    Currently wearing: Chyprι Fruitι by Montale

Im in on this one too... I will have to do a panty-raid in my wife's knickers drawer (where she keeps her perfumes) and swipe something that will be challenging to pull off.

Methinks the hardcore gourmand-ness of La Prairie's Silver Rain is a likely contender!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I will have to do a panty-raid in my wife's knickers drawer
    Oooooh, can I watch

It will be Sean John Unforgivable for moi.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 4th September 2008 at 04:07 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

Are fougere scents still part of this month's Sniff 'n' Speak?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Weeee--I wanna play too!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me choose for Saturday ~ and am I right, are these fougeres? Ideally I feel I ought to REALLY go all the way and choose a men's fougere.

Here are a few I am considering, are these all fougeres? (And while I have looked at last year's thread about fougeres, I'm just not sure about all of these.)

Gris Clair
    Jicky
    Grey Flannel (pretty sure this is a true fougere)
    Fahrenheit?
    Habit Rouge (sample for husband)?

Thanks for looking!

Oh yes. I am so in the mood to wear Jicky. I wonder just how many will join me?

I hope someone picks Egoiste or Anteus because I would certainly like to hear an in depth description of these, especially Egoiste. This will be interesting for me to read because I'd like to know more about men's colognes. I know about the directory, but I'd like to hear more.

I think I'll sport me some Grey Flannel. Hmmm...or M7? I think Grey Flannel...

I would like to join with you on this one too! I will try something more masculine, but I have several fragrance that already is something unisex. But I like leathers so, I will try from my housemate - Creed Royal English Leather!
    Last edited by MashaL; 10th November 2008 at 01:26 AM.

I might wear Egoiste,but I wear than one regularly already,so would be fun to try something else....*hmmm*

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Are fougere scents still part of this month's Sniff 'n' Speak?
    Sure, I just ran out of space on the subject line. You're a real by-the-rules kinda guy, aren't you, sweetie? I like that--push your chair in when you leave the table, too, I bet.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    Weeee--I wanna play too!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me choose for Saturday ~ and am I right, are these fougeres? Ideally I feel I ought to REALLY go all the way and choose a men's fougere.

Here are a few I am considering, are these all fougeres? (And while I have looked at last year's thread about fougeres, I'm just not sure about all of these.)

Gris Clair
    Jicky
    Grey Flannel (pretty sure this is a true fougere)
    Fahrenheit?

Thanks for looking!
    Your research and interpretation are as good as mine. (Don't let my many posts impress you. If Basenotes were a school, I'd have been held back and repeated many grades a second time.) But others will probably give you more guidance.

Delighted to have new peeps MashaL and Pepe La Pew chiming in.

SMM sent me a bunch of goodies a few weeks back.

I'm gonna dig through them and see what works.

Though I could use it as an opportunity to swipe the SO's Farenheit too
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post

Thanks for looking!
    Take his whole bottle
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Thanks Quarry! I ought to be a wee bit less lazy, huh!

Silverbullet: I agree Habit Rouge is awesome stuff. We don't have a bottle, (notice how I include all of my husband's stash into my own?) so I may be using up OUR tiny little vial on Saturday.

Good thing I just got my husband Grey Flannel. Looks like I'm swiping some.

I'm excited to hear GF is a true fougere, because as of yet I don't really have a true sense about what that category smells like.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Well, this is a dilemma.

It will be too hot here for Grey Flannel, the fougere of choice.

As for opposite gender, I tend not to think in those terms. I probably have a Diptyque sample (one of their jardins maybe) or maybe Poivre Samarcande. The Hermessence line tends to be considered female by the people-at-large. And PS works very nicely in hot weather.

Some rummaging around the sample truck tonight might turn up something.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Right: I'm going to go and ask the boys for some suggestions on which men's frag to wear, given that I have to be able to get to a tester in an ordinary department store or chemist's.
    I'm actually a little bit nervous about this - how silly is that?

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Right: I'm going to go and ask the boys for some suggestions on which men's frag to wear, given that I have to be able to get to a tester in an ordinary department store or chemist's.
    I'm actually a little bit nervous about this - how silly is that?
    Oh Wordbird, I so understand! I actually posted a thread asking for help for a frag for my husband a little while ago and I was so nervous!!! But they were all so sweet and helpful--you have my e-support, go forth!

<--have a slice of cake for support

Want some spice from 1986? One squirt and this spicy, woody, oriental should last the whole day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQVYIFDVeo

Shocking and I don't know if this is even possible, but I googled Calvin Klein's Obsession for men in several places and got all these notes. I gave up before I found more.

Bergamot, Lavender, Myrrh, Clove, Nutmeg, Amber, Sandalwood, Musk, Mandarin, Spice, Lemon, Sage, Fern, Carnation, Moss, Vanilla, Benzoin, Vetiver, Patchouli, & Coriander.

Please be kind, I'm brand new.

I go over to the boys side all the time--they're just fine

I have some fougeres in my collection. However, I am not going to count SJP Covet among them unless this scent clicks in some way for me. I wrote about it in yesterdays SotD thread, so I won't repeat here.

One men's fougere I tried recently (and liked very much) is Divine L'Homme Sage. However, I really am yearning to be in on the Jicky action, so we'll see how I feel on Saturday!

I've got lots to choose from. My favourites are Dior Homme and Terre d'Hermes but I wear them anyway, so a different one is called for tomorrow. I wonder if I can carry off Knize Ten? It might be too big for the company I'm keeping, so I'll probably aim for something else.

I missed the last two SnS days so I'm glad to find another one. I enoy these days.

Thanks Q.

I think I'm going to do what Wordbird did and ask for some advice on the Men's Fragrance board.

Update: my poor little request is sinking down to the bottom. I guess I'm on my own!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 5th September 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Azzaro pour Homme for me.

It is one of my favorite fougeres - I should wear it more often!

My wife, Gabrielle Rose, likes to participate in our Sniff 'n' Speak days and will join us in Jicky.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Oh drat I forgot to go nick my bf's Azzaro PH bottle. So therefore I'm in Green Irish Tweed today.

Well, I didn't manage to get any of the boys' recommendations from the counters yesterday, so I"m in one of the two samples I did manage to snag: Lolita Lempicka au Masculin.
    It's not bad. Lolita Lempicka with more brawn.
    Actually, I feel like I'm cheating because this could easily be a female frag.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 6th September 2008 at 09:01 AM.

Aww, Wordy- just relax and enjoy .

I know the dilemma- I love L'Homme Sage, too.
    Was tempted to steal my son's Habit Rouge.

Last night, before bed- I trult pitied my DH-
    I had on:
    Bois Du Portugal
    New York
    Troisieme Homme
    Maharadjha
    Chanel Pour Homme
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Tabarome Vintage

Today, I'm a-Jicky-in'.
    Swimmin' in EDT...
    Soooooo good.

Today I'm in Chanel Egoiste. This is one of the first male scents I tried...And I was really pleased to find out the drydown was a bit similar to the gorgeous Bois des iles. On me Egoiste smells of sweet citrus (tangerine or orange?) , fresh coriander leaves and maybe a touch of roses to begin with.Later on it develops into a sweeter and spicier scent. The most pronounced notes to my nose is cinnamon and sandalwood. There's also quite a lot of the typical,sparkling Chanle aldehydes in the mix and this is very pronounced in the topnotes. All in all this has become on of my all-round scents that I enjoy both at work and when going out,winther and summer. Suprisingly unisex too in my opinion too.