Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, September 6, 2008 ★★★ OPPOSITE-GENDER FR

Thank you all for creating a lovely atmosphere here today, and keep those insights coming. Even when we are told about departed loved ones, there is a certain kind of celebration and appreciation for what these dears mean. We honor them.

Mostly we all have to thank Twolf. It was she who suggested we expand today's S'n'S to gender-crossing fragrances. Let's say it all together now, children:

Thank you, Twolf!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, September 6, 2008 ★★★ OPPOSITE-GENDER FR

Wearing two of my favorite men's scents for today's gender bending SnS: Gucci Envy Men on one side and Aramis Havana on the other.

The Envy Men works much better on my skin than the feminine version (though Turin and Sanchez rate the feminine one much higher, I suspect because it's substantially more complex). I love ginger notes, and this one is light, citrus-kissed, and for me a perfectly lovely summer scent. Which was needed today in Boston -- it's been BEASTLY humid. Ugh.

Havana... One of my very favorite fragrances, period. On me (who tends to bring out sweet notes), it's sophisticated -- tobacco, sweet/pungent spices and a hint of tropical shade. Not an all out seduction scent, but classy, unexpected (particularly on a woman) and gorgeous. Wish there were more left in the bottle I got for my husband.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 6th September 2008 at 08:30 PM.
    Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

WOW! Great lively thread, folks!

I'm curious what Guess Men (green bottle) would smell like on a woman. I like this one for a fougere--some old school with modern touches. Believe it or not, Hummer 2 smells also interesting--smells like an oriental fougere with its spicy and warm notes tactfully added in without sacrificing its fresh fougere notes.

But the ultimate challenge I'd like to impose on a woman to wear is KOUROS! If there's a woman who's worn Kouros PLEASE REPORT! :toppie:

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Wearing Grey Flannel, it smells all herbal essence and soapy on me. It's nice.

So as I wrote before I went for the most masculine perfume I had in the house, Third Man by Caron.

I smell myself and when I look in the mirror I am surprised, this is not the scent of a 25 year old woman, but because it is so wrong I love it.

It makes me feel more confident, maybe a bit more aggresive even. More daring I think, and sexy.

That is a surprise, but I feel sexy..the kind of warm mature sexiness that some people have, like Michelle Pfeiffer for instance. It's a bit dangerous if you are twice their age and that makes it so alluring.

To be honest I'm waiting for the Axe effect and have women swarming all over me, sadly there are no morning trains in Reykjavik .

So how does it smell, it has something fresh and citrussy, maybe bergamot, and a hint of cloves and some other spices that are edible, add a good dose of tabacco as well that gives it its age, and I'd bet something musky.

This perfume screams for pants, killer stilettos, a loose tie and red lipstick.

I need to spray my so with this for sure.

rawr!
    Last edited by Lian; 6th September 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post

But the ultimate challenge I'd like to impose on a woman to wear is KOUROS! If there's a woman who's worn Kouros PLEASE REPORT! :toppie:
    Send me the sample and I'll wear it I thought Caron Third Man was pretty manly too, is it very manly or not so much?

After dipping into the masculine fragrances I' no longer afraid of Kouros, I sniffed it in the store and thought it wouldn't suit my bf but it might actually work on a young female as a complete mind****.

I wouldn't wear 4 spritzes of it to the office though

By coincidence one of the scents I tested today was Jicky. Tried the parfum and wasn't surprised that the opening was very strong and off-putting, so I forgot about it and continued shopping and testing untill I caught a whiff of a beautiful scent which I realised should be Jicky. It had changed into a soft slightly powdery perfume with maybe the merest hint of citrus detectable but I honestly couldn't pick out any one note as it's so smooth. I had anticipated something a little more 'vintage' smelling if you know what I mean. L'Heure Bleu
    and Mitsouko are identifiable to me as 'vintage' scents but Jicky is as timeless as Caron's Bellodgia. I can definitely relate Carthusia's Ligea La Sirena to Jicky and also Vivienne Westwood's Anglomania with its soft powdery drydown. I couldn't detect any civet in Jicky but to be fair I had just tested Rose Poivree ten minutes before and that has got to be the strongest civet frag I've ever encountered!
    Last edited by chaelaran1008; 7th September 2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling

For today's S&S, I wanted to find a male fougere to wear. However, I wasn't near organized enough and this morning found me staring at the perfume closet and my sample and decant boxes wondering what to wear.

I also had to work today, so I wasn't feeling particularly adventurous with something totally unknown. I wear and love quite a few male scents, but I was really wanting to wear something a little different, not one of my old standards. And then it hit me: CUIRON. A quick search showed that the last time I wore it was June 17, 2007. Off to the decant boxes, where it was still in the gold organza gift bag, carefully labeled and stored with a few other decants that a good friend gave me last summer.

The notes include: Top Notes: Plum, 'Fluid' Leather, Fresh notes .
    Middle Notes: 'Sensual' Leather, Suede notes.
    Base Notes: 'Noble' Leather.

Leather is definitely the star here, but don't be afraid of all the different leather notes. It's not overpowering at all. It has the effect of being in a comfy study filled with wonderful leather objects. Your eyes look around the room and see an overstuffed leather couch, some leather-bound books, a leather briefcase, some suede slippers and you feel at home here. I think I smell some bergamot in Cuiron and the plum note tends to be on the tart side. Both add some freshness, but not necessarily sweetness. I like Cuiron a lot ... it's very special on my friend and it's a winner on me too.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Ended up with Bulgari Blu Pour Homme. It's quite light and unisex (although, like ComDiva, my skin sweetens most notes). It's hard to describe the notes--it's rather light.

I'm going to try either Drakkar Noir and/or Grey Flannel later tonight. Will report in later.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Institution

A while back, a generous Basenoter gifted me Joy by Jean Patou in the EdT, EdP and parfum versions. If I remember correctly, these are samples from vintage bottles (not the newer reformulated ones).

I decided today would be a good time to try them.

I have heard of Joy forever - but I never ever smelled it. Reading Turin's review in The Guide piqued my curiosity even more for smelling it, so I did.

The Eau de Toilette is light, airy, extremely floral (almost transparent) and reminded me of something Estee Lauder might have come out with. Perhaps I smelled this on a woman in my youth - I got a little deja vu trying to figure out 'where I've smelled that before', but finally I gave up guessing and just enjoyed the scent. I liked the fact that the aldehydes did not show themselves to my nose (always a nice thing, when I'm testing women's vintage fragrances). I joined my husband and niece (10 yrs old) to the movies, with both arms spritzed with this and neither of them blinked an eye at my SOTD. I think my skin toned down the florals and aldehydes slightly and even made it a little 'soapy' to my nose (in a good way). Full bottle worthy? Probably not. But I admire the fragrance a lot.

Next it was the Eau de Parfum: WOW!!!! This is incredibly different. More intense. Darker. Incredibly indolic. Dark roses and an aldehyde note that's fuzzy not sharp. Sillage and longevity are incredible (applied my sample at 4:00, it's 8:45 now and I can still smell sillage from my arms and hands as I type this).

Now I know what you ladies are raving about. BIG thumbs up!

I have a drop of the parfum. If the EdP did such wonderful things to me, I'm afraid my head might explode if I apply the parfum tonight. Maybe I'll save it..?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th September 2008 at 01:48 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Perfume Addict, Rhiannon- you make me weepy.

Wordy- I adore Mouchoir de Monsieur- it feels a lot like Jicky, but more cinnamony and very civetty...

So many beauties, so little time.

Finally in the still of the evening I go to town with my Antaeus, glossy black hunk of a bottle, I gingerly give a spritz...instant smell of roses dried in the sun, a beloved leather jacket,
    incense wafting through the open door of a church from the cool interior outside to where I am standing. Perhaps a touch of herbs dried with lavender.
    There is an angularity to this fragrance, but beneath that a warm softness. Strong, but very approachable.
    I've used four sprays, one to each forearm and one to the collarbone and one to the side of my neck. Very light sprays, mind you.

Right now I could totally see myself wearing this out, perhaps to an art gallery, but it would need to be accompanied with something uber female to accentuate it, like red lipstick and my glossy red heels.

Mental plan to schedule a special outing with my Antaeus and see what happens.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Riannon, thank you for your story.
    And the Habit Rouge, what a gorgeous fragrance.
    Lian, my man wears Third Man exclusively. I love it. And I think it is very wearable for a woman, but since I associate it so with him, I'll let him wear it
    and appreciate it on him.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

So I went ahead and wore Platinum Egoiste this evening. The first note to hit my nose was a faint lavender quickly followed by rosemary. After a while it dried down to a medicinal powdery scent, not unpleasant but not anything to write home about. I like it on my husband but can't say I would wear it again.

I have a story to tell regarding this perfume. Quite a few years ago before I had discovered Basenotes and before I would venture into men's perfume, my husband sampled Platinum when we were shopping at Bloomie's. When Christmas came around that year, I bought him a bottle but mistakenly got the regular Egoiste. Well, needless to say, he wore it for a bit but then realized it was not the one he wanted. It sat in his cabinet for at least 1 to 1 1/2 years untouched. Our daughter bought him the Platinum and he told me to get rid of the Egoiste. I offered it to our son but he did not care for it, so I gave a full big bottle to my Mom's caretaker to give to her son.

It's hard to buy fragrance for my husband as he is very picky and prefers citrus scents above all others but complains that they have no sillage. I bought him a bottle of Eau de Campagne by Sisley another after he tested it and thought he loved it. Shortly after he had it, he decided he did not like it. Luckily, my brother loves it and I gave it to him. Had I known how it really can be a unisex scent, I would have kept and given it a go.

By the way during the day I did wear Eau Sauvage and really enjoyed the clean lemony smell drying down to a beautiful vetiver. No sillage, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    I completely forgot to post here as well. Thank you, my dear Quarry.

For Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, the 'Opposite Gender Frag'

When I was young, I 'borrowed' my fathers fragrance. Somehow that scent became something wonderful on the skin of a sixteen year old girl.
    It was his signature scent.

When he died, I took the last bottle I gave him with me and there it stayed in a drawer, untouched.
    Maybe I should have chosen something different today but I followed my instinct.

Habit Rouge

Back in time, where I was his young daughter
    Thanks for this Riannon - you are a very special person.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I sprayed Grey Flannel (so that's what a fougere smells like) on one arm and Drakkar Noir on the other.

Now these are fragrances that I identify as definitely masculine. Love them on DH, not so much on me. But it was fun trying them!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume ~ Jean de Boufflers

I couldn't post yesterday, but I decided that I would wear Knize Ten despite my misgivings. I should have listened to my doubting mind - it was awful. It smelled like the fumes that assault me when I'm filling my car with petrol as I hold my breath and turn my face away. KT made me feel nauseous. It had to come off at the first opportunity, which wasn't soon enough. But getting it off was not easy. I had to scrub and baste myself in cream.

Of all the choices I had, I made the wrong one. That's the joy of testing.

To Knize Ten wearers - please apply sparingly.

For the evening I wore Dior Homme. I know that is playing safe but it *is* very beautiful. I have yet to find another prominent iris scent that I like as much.

On my 'to try' list: Mouchoir de Monsieur and Third Man.
    Last edited by Sestra; 7th September 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Afterthoughts on Antaeus:
    The drydown phase became decidedly manly on me and it made me feel that I was wearing a overly heavy mantle on my shoulders...it weighed me down in a way.
    For now, this is a scent I need to appreciate on men and in very small doses once and while on myself.

today I went running for my girly frags and decided on Fifi Chachnil just to help me gain a little equilibrium after last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I went with Egoiste ...I bought it for myself because it reminded me of Feminite du Bois.
    After wearing the Egoiste all day, I discovered it has a lovely, musky drydown. Quite different from Feminite du Bois. I like this, and think I would like it even more on a man if I ever smelled it on one.

In the midst of these lovely, exciting and some very touching words, I am sorry I only have this to share - 'Bulgari pour Homme' makes me smell like drycleaning just back from the laundry.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

Today, I am wearing:

Creed Royal Scottish Lavender

I could not find notes for this fragrance. I noticed in the directory that these were mentioned:
    Lavender, vanilla, sandalwood, ambergris

When I wore it, I noticed:
    Citrus, lavender, incense, ambergris

It was relatively short lived, and very masculine at first. The incense stage was pleasant, and I wish the ambergris was stronger. Probably the best part is how it is a lavender fragrance that doesn't smell of ammonia. I can't say that justifies the price, but at least I can enjoy it without scrubbing, unlike many other fougeres I have tried.

Blog Entries

A week and a half ago, I had a monster head cold and twice chose Grey Flannel for my SotE (I skipped SotD). The first night I found it decidedly masculine, but comforting. The strong violet and oakmoss powered thru my stuffed up sinuses, eased my cranky, I-don't-feel-good mood, and carried me into relaxed sleep. A night or two later I might have been running a fever, or maybe the evening was just hotter, but I found the notes too sharp and mannish, and was more irritated than comforted with my choice. After another heat spell this weekend, I wasn't really looking forward to trying out a masculine fragrance. Sure, I could've taken the easy way out and been shower fresh in Thierry Mugler cologne. But no, SnS is an opportunity for me to challenge myself. Inspired by Chaya's great news, I decided to wear Chanel Allure Homme.

And I feel like I've inadvertently taken an easy way out! This wears very pretty and sensual on me. I felt sheepish at the beginning with the blast of citrus. Like, why didn't I wear this in June for SnS citrus? Fougere, masculine? No and not really! Then it changed. I wasn't expecting fougere; I knew it's an oriental, but this still is sooo not what I expected. It's beautiful, soft, floral, a little sweet, and yet still masculine. Easily unisex, but masculine in that I don't think many men would feel borderline uncomfortable wearing it, as say JPG Fleur du Male. I don't feel masculine wearing this. It's not like dipping into DH's Maison Berdoues Vetiver so I can butch up and go fix the sprinkling system. I feel very sexy and feminine. I feel Femme Fatale. Best of all, I smell good!

per Osmoz:
    top notes
    Mandarin, Lemon, Peach, Bergamot
    heart notes
    Freesia, Geranium, Rose, Jasmine
    base notes
    Benzoin, Tonka, Sandal, Vanilla
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Perfect timing! I just got my blind-bought bottle of CDG 2 Man in the mail!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnut View Post
    Perfect timing! I just got my blind-bought bottle of CDG 2 Man in the mail!
    Do tell!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Wow, I really like CDG 2 Man. I've read lots of reviews for this and there is an overwhelming feeling that it is _very_ masculine. Can't say that I necessarily disagree... but I do think it's wearable on a woman just because it doesn't read like a traditional, fresh "cologne-y" kind of scent. I put it on as soon as I got it out of the box, and at first it smelled citrusy and has this kind of oddball chemical smell that I can't quite place. Also very, very peaty. Then the smoky, woody notes came to the fore, with some of the spice coming through as well. I reapplied before I went to bed and when I woke up there was this heavenly sweet, spicy smell with a healthy dose of skin (kind of a manly skin smell, possibly from the cumin?)- very, very sexy. Overall I am very happy with this stuff. Have not experienced any reactions yet about the gender-appropriateness of it, but I think I smell great! I'll be wearing this a lot this fall. Thanks to the folks who suggested it!
    Last edited by marnut; 10th September 2008 at 08:52 PM.