Code of Conduct

Default Help me classify my fragrances and help me pick similar ones please :)

Hi,

Over the past few days, I've been reading about fragrances and actually made my first niche fragrance purchase (Creed Silver Mountain Water). I'm off to Stanford in a few days and would like to treat myself to a couple of more bottles of fragrance, so I love smelling good.

I was reading a post from another thread which said that if you must, the bare minimum number of colognes should be this:

"
    1 daytime summer office scent
    1 daytime summer casual scent
    1 daytime summer formal scent
    1 daytime winter office scent
    1 daytime winter casual scent
    1 daytime winter formal scent
    1 evening summer romantic scent
    1 evening summer casual scent
    1 evening summer formal scent
    1 evening winter romantic scent
    1 evening winter casual scent
    1 evening winter formal scent"

So I'm trying to classify my likes in fragrance and get more. Here are the ones I have and what I think of them:

Acqua Di Gio (don't ask - it's from many years ago. I'm guessing its a daytime casual/office scent, right? But I don't want to use it!)
    Lacoste Essential (Ditto, but I'm not a fan!)
    Escada Sunset Heat for Him (daytime summer casual?)
    Dior Homme, Givenchy Pi, Rochas Man (i'm guessing this is for more evening scents?)

I'm guessing Creed SMW would do best as a daytime casual scent, and the Dior Homme/Pi/Rochas Man scents should be used as night times? If you were me, how would you wear them? I'm afraid that those three will be too cloying for daytime summer wear.

What would classify as a good daytime winter scent? Could I wear the Pi and the Rochas Man out in the daytime if it is cold out? I'll be near San Francisco

And how which other ones are similar should I try out? I have tried GIT and Virgin Island Water (I LOVE VIRGIN ISLAND WATER!)

Also, any other tips would be wonderful. (E.g., I don't know if I'm applying enough or not enough. I don't want to be offensive especially if I'm going to college. With Pi, I do one spritz to the wrist, and then put it on the other wrist. 1 spritz to front of neck, 1 spritz to back of neck, and 1 spritz to the chest)

Thanks!

EDIT: I also like Fahrenheit 32, YSL L'Homme (but it's too cliche). I'm going to be in college so I don't want to be too offending!
    Last edited by Mr. Right; 4th September 2008 at 12:05 AM.

Smile Re: Help me classify my fragrances and help me pick similar ones please :)

Hi..and a massive welcome to the number 1 site for frags.....

Don't look too deep into things.. wear what you want.. when you want! A good spraying method that works for me is to hit the stomach, chest, inner elbows (forget the wrists as the scent just rubs off whenever you make contact with anything) behind the knees and one shot to the back of the neck for sillage. Also.. give one spray to your shirt from a distance so as not to stain the garment.. The reason for spraying under your clothes is this.. the clothes help to trap the scent in and when your body heats up.. wafts of glorious sillage will be introduced to your nose

WAIT 10 mins.. then spray over all the same areas (as above) again. This gives you a double layer and fantasic longevity! Make sure you do all this at least 90 mins before you are due to leave the house.. by then.. the scent will have been on your skin long enough to hit complete drydown and smell at its best!

A good rule of thumb is this..Heavy scents such as Pi for night/winter.. light scents such as Acqua Di Gio for day/summer.. like I've said before..anything goes..A heavy Oriental such as Pi if sprayed very lightly can work in the day.

Good luck
    Last edited by deck89; 4th September 2008 at 01:18 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Default Re: Help me classify my fragrances and help me pick similar ones please :)

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is this. I'm a procrastinator. Usually I'm rushing to hop out of the shower and out and running. So I don't really have these 10 minutes in between. Right now, I apply 5 sprays. So are you suggesting I do 5 sprays, wait 10 minutes, and then do another 5 sprays for a total of 10 sprays? I just don't want people to die

So I went fragrance glancing today and tried on other "light" scents that people have recommended me based on what I like. I tried Herrera and also Hanae Mori; I liked neither. I really don't want to wear Acqua!

I even tried D&G Light Blue for women. It is one of the more tolerable ones. If I had to pick a day scent, it would be Clinique Happy but it does not last very long on my skin.

Can you and anyone else recommend me daytime fragrances based on what I like and have already?

Thanks.

P.S., I tried Hypnotic Poison for women because of claims that it was unisex. My, I am in love! I'm not sure if I should get a bottle.

Default Re: Help me classify my fragrances and help me pick similar ones please :)

Bond No. 9, The Hamptons is a amazing scent, light, summery, yet still sweet and very non-generic, i.e., nothing like ADG. Bond No. 9 also has a sampling program, 6 samples for $10. PM me if you need the contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post

Acqua Di Gio (don't ask - it's from many years ago. I'm guessing its a daytime
    YSL L'Homme (but it's too cliche).

Just had to point that out...

That said, I have L'homme, love it. I don't see anything about it that counts as cliche.

I mean, it's not a super intense, crazy smell, but I hate those anyway (so far.) It's a good, light, warm smell that is amazing at times.

If you're putting on 4-5 sprays of Pi, you're doing more than I would. For me, Pi would be 3 MAX. That said, I don't like to leave a 'smell trail," I want it to be a thing for people who are close to me, to be like "Hey, is he??... He is, that smells good." But that's me.

It may not be your thing, but of the ones I like that are totally inoffensive, give Lanvin Vetyver a try. It's cheap too. A bit too 'green' for my tastes in the opening, the middle is good, and after an hour or so, it's downright awesome. That's a 4 sprayer though for me.

The other I just got into is Burberry Touch. To me, it's a peppery, violet scent. According to reviews, I think I'm the only one who doesn't think it's super sweet. Regardless, I love it, and got a cold-compliment the last time I wore it.

Smile Re: Help me classify my fragrances and help me pick similar ones please :)

Ok.. Daytime fragrances that are long lasting are..Based on what you like

Geir
    Tere D Hermes
    Acqua Di Parma Assoluta (Lovely Citrus)
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Tommy T
    Dolce & Gabanna ph
    Azzaro Chrome
    Try the Creeds Erolfa, Neroli Sauvage, Original Vetiver, Green Irish Tweed, Himalaya (These have average longevity apart from GIT which is fantastic)
    Bond no 9 either Riverside Drive OR Hamptons (Similar to SMW but better longevity)
    Last edited by deck89; 5th September 2008 at 08:42 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

I really like Riverside Drive alot too, great smell, amazing, its got this sweetness to it but it is not "hot" like other sweet scents so it woks just fine in summer. I am going out with a ladyfriend this evening and I, will, in fact, be wearing RD.