Code of Conduct

Default Parfums de Nicolaï

The best one and the most long lasting one. Which one?

Default Re: Parfums de Nicolaï

New York
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Re: Parfums de Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    New York
    Me too!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Same here. New York, New York.

Teddius

Blog Entries

Cologne Nature.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Blog Entries

I like Pour Homme, but I heard it's possibly being discontinued (it was not on the PdN website, which was pointed out to me by Prince Barry). I'm still undecided between that one and New York. Very different animals - must test. BeautyHabit still has samples and bottles of PH for sale.

I want to be a part of it....

New York, New York...
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

I'd say New York as well.

Off-Scenter

Something about the Nicolai style leaves me cold. The scents are well-composed but I haven't found any of them compelling. Odalisque and New York please me more than most of the line, but I have to admit that even those two bore me to some extent.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

New York does it for me.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Yup, good ole NY!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I love New York . . . the city. I love the Yankees and the Giants too! I've been all over the world and I have to say New York is my favorite city by far. So I have to say without a doubt my favorite Nicolai scent is Pour Homme. Discontinued? My luck.

Cheers,
    Al

So far I have been underwhelmed by PdN. New York is supposed to be one of the masculines that works well on a woman, but I can't say I even remember what it smells like, it was so unmemorable. Odalisque seemed like a great quality composition, but wasn't quite my style. I have tried others also--the most interesting was Vie de Chateau, but I think that one may also be discontinued.

Definitely will have to revisit this house as I still have most of my samples....

I am still virgin of Nicolai - but hopefully today I'll receive my four samples. You surely know the feeling of extreme curiosity

By the way: one of the samples is Vie de Chateau. I ordered it as unisex, but in the directory it is noted as feminine. What is the truth? From the notes listed I would tend to the unisex side.
    Last edited by Sandy; 4th September 2008 at 04:55 AM.

Lucky Scent has Vie de Chateau as a masculine...I think it could go either way.

I've only sampled New York so far and it's awfully long lasting.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

My favorites EDTs are: New York and Pour Homme
    My favorite EDCs are: Cologne Sologne and Haute Provence

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    So far I have been underwhelmed by PdN. New York is supposed to be one of the masculines that works well on a woman, but I can't say I even remember what it smells like, it was so unmemorable.
    I tend to agree with you. I had a few expectations from New York as I've read more than 1 basenoter say that it's a greatly shape sifting frag, it's like wearing 3 different fragrances at once. Upon application however it very quickly settled down to be one of the most olfactory sense overwhelming powdery base.

I was disappointed.

New York is a first class fragrance in every way -- one of a handful of scents that,
    as Luca Turin writes, "Just smell great."

Longevity is good. Nicolai Pour Homme lasts longer, and is also a winner.
    New York is very special, though.

One more thing about Parfums de Nicolai: They haven't messed up New York by trying to
    modernize it, or whatever houses do to tweak their scents. I just got a new bottle from Beauty Habit.
    [Great online store, by the way. I've been a longtime customer of theirs.] It's just as superb as the
    bottle I got a few years ago.

The price seems to be going up on this one, though. Too popular, I guess.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 4th September 2008 at 06:04 AM.

I have Vetyver (cumin, soap, vetiver), Baladin (herbs, leather, vetiver) and Balle de Match (grapefruit, incense, vetiver), and love them all.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

NY is excellent and long lasting, but I also love the lighter Balle de Match (grapefruit), Sologne (classic Edc) and Haute Provence (Lavender). I find pour homme a bit too "dusty"
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    but I also love the lighter Balle de Match (grapefruit)
    I've got a sample of Balle de Match coming. Looking forward to sampling it.

another vote for NY. anyone who admires classics(like Chanel PM) would appreciate the genius behind this scent....the perfect combination of herbs, spices, and animalic notes controlled beautifully till the end by oakmoss on one of the most satifying base of amber and leather overtones...this is pure and real all the way to the base.

again, i dont think this is a type of scent that a guy would wear to college...this commands a little respect and should be worn on either the right ocassion or someone who is of age... a definite confidence booster for me and most importantly, a journey worth savouring right from the start, until the end.

i also understand, how dated it might smell when compared to the releases of the so called "niche" houses of today...call me old fashioned, but i love my NY and i would imagine a grumpy me in my 60's throwing away half of my collection that i have today only to wear NY..
    Last edited by jenson; 4th September 2008 at 10:02 AM.

I tried all the Parfums de Nicolaï three and a half years ago when I found their shop in a shopping centre under my hotel in Paris. I thought they were all nice enough, the style was something like a cross between Trumpers and L'Artisan, and I even bought one of theirs for my wife.

But I wasn't overly taken with them - there weren't any of the men's ones I felt were must haves, though I was tempted to buy the Vetiver one most of all. Perhaps it would have been better if I hadn't tried them all at once.
    Renato

Thumbs up Re: Parfums de Nicolaï

New York, absolutely

Vie de Chateau is awfully long-lasting for something that is supposedly in the edc/eau fraiche camp.

So is Cologne Nature - smells like it's going to disappear in 20 min., but four hours later, there it is, still murmuring.

Cologne Sologne is my absolute favorite of this line.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 4th September 2008 at 04:12 PM.

I have only tried 3, my order of preference:

1. Vetyver
    2. Pour Homme
    3. New york

I like all 3 but the Vetyver is the one i need to get.

I've sampled them all except Cologne Sologne and was not impressed with anything. I do not get longevity of any kind, even with the EDP strength. Almost every scent has an old-fashioned, staid feel. Eclipse is probably my favorite, but I do not think I'll be purchasing it. It's one of those lines where the top notes are impressive and interesting, but beyond that (about 10 minutes into the wearing), not so great. Definitely sample before purchasing.

Seems like "New York" is the answer to every PdN thread !
    -

Is NY that great or the rest of the line that unimpressive?

Balle de Match is actually quite good. It borrows something from M7 fresh and stays classy but fresh just like the classic citrus colognes. Good longevity.
    Last edited by irish; 5th September 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I, like many above, have not yet found a Parfums de Nicolai scent that's grabbed me yet.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

First (maybe second) impresiion is a disappointment. Yesterday I received my samples of New York, Balle de Match, Vie Chateu and Cologne Sologne. Of these it was Sologne which I found very nice and likeable, but it's so short-lived that I wouldn't buy it.
    New York is full of ambre which I simply don't like at all. The opening herbal burst is really promising, but what's left is just sweet ambre. Of course: to my unexperienced nose

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    is NY that great or the rest of the line that uninpresive?
    Hmm, that's highly subjective. I dislike New York for the very reason many others like it, and that reason is it's Powdery approach. I don't get anything else in this except powder, powder and some more powder. It's like someone blew up a tin of talcum powder in the room.

I should say upon testing and wearing almost all of them that the winner is longest lasting Baladin (suede and vetiver), sadly discontinued. The next is Vetiver.
    These are Nicolais that I wear quite often.
    Pour homme is rare option.

While Vie de Chateau, New-York, Haute Provence and Fig-Tea I wear very seldom.
    Vie de Chateau gives me confectionery feeling with musk instead of dried herbs and coumarin.
    From New-York I did not get any otherworldly 5starred smell (sorry, guys).
    Fig-Tea is great, but my wife feels sick in a seconds after I apply it (I suspect it`s some artificial musk molecules thet works that way. She also sick from Secretions Magnifiques ELDO and Frangipani OJ but bears Premier Figuier and any tea fragrance - so it could not be flowers, figue or tea).

I`d recommend Baladin and Vetiver to any vetiver lovers as they are unusual variation of vetiver monotheme.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I've had several phone calls with Nicolai recently, and Baladin has NOT been discontinued. They don't advertise it on their website because, as I was told, it's a fragrance for connoisseurs. Peculiar reasoning. After all my complaining, maybe they'll put it back on the website.

I agree with you, Baladin and Vetyver are both excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I should say upon testing and wearing almost all of them that the winner is longest lasting Baladin (suede and vetiver), sadly discontinued.
    Last edited by ebear; 5th September 2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    I've had several phone calls with Nicolai recently, and Baladin has NOT been discontinued. They don't advertise it on their website because, as I was told, it's a fragrance for connoisseors. Peculiar reasoning. After all my complaining, maybe they'll put it back on the website.

I agree with you, Baladin and Vetyver are both excellent.
    hmmmm, that`s the weirdest reason.
    sounds like `we do not want your money, you average JoeBloggs! Show us your home library, go through our IQ test and then maybe we`ll allow you to come in Paris and buy our Baladin, the connosieurs` fragrance`.

By the way, Baladin smells close to their air freshener named Vetiver de Java (I have both), so it should be quite simple by formula and with not so expensive ingredients...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish
    hmmmm, that`s the weirdest reason.
    sounds like `we do not want your money, you average JoeBloggs! Show us your home library, go through our IQ test and then maybe we`ll allow you to come in Paris and buy our Baladin, the connosieurs` fragrance`.
    I got the impression that the decision was about being concerned that non-connoisseurs might not appreciate it because it's somewhat unusual. That doesn't make the argument any less odd, though.

I think what's really behind it is this: they were indeed considering discontinuing it (as a representative of theirs in London told me), but too many people argued against doing that. So while they're not actively promoting it (hence its absence on the website), it still is in production. If enough of us do order it (which can be done by e-mail or phone), maybe it'll regain its well-deserved spot on the website.
    Last edited by ebear; 5th September 2008 at 10:13 AM.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

For those interested in a couple PdNs, see my sale thread (url below)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    First (maybe second) impresiion is a disappointment. Yesterday I received my samples of New York, Balle de Match, Vie Chateu and Cologne Sologne. Of these it was Sologne which I found very nice and likeable, but it's so short-lived that I wouldn't buy it.
    New York is full of ambre which I simply don't like at all. The opening herbal burst is really promising, but what's left is just sweet ambre. Of course: to my unexperienced nose
    I also like Sologne; but being that it is of the EDC family (i.e. Eau de Cologne Impériale), it is not intended to be long lasting; Haute Provence is another gorgeous fragrance from her EDT collection that requires reapplication.

I think Vie de Chateau is very original and highly wearable; Pour Homme smells like nothing else and always garners compliments when I wear it. I think New York is a masterpiece myself and I never tire of wearing it. Another underrated but lovely scent is Vanille-Tonka, a not-too-sweet but awesome vanilla/tonka/frankincense creation.

I personally really like Patricia de Nicolai's creations. She is obviously a very talented nose who has some pleasing and unique fragrances, and does her Guerlain heritage proud. I also appreciate that she is able to keep the price point fairly reasonable for a niche product of high quality. Whether or not you agree with her particular sensibilities, I think that Patricia de Nicolai is a highly talented perfumer who deserves every bit of respect she gets in the fragrance world.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I also like Sologne; but being that it is of the EDC family (i.e. Eau de Cologne Impériale), it is not intended to be long lasting; Haute Provence is another gorgeous fragrance from her EDT collection that requires reapplication.

I think Vie de Chateau is very original and highly wearable; Pour Homme smells like nothing else and always garners compliments when I wear it. I think New York is a masterpiece myself and I never tire of wearing it. Another underrated but lovely scent is Vanille-Tonka, a not-too-sweet but awesome vanilla/tonka/frankincense creation.

I personally really like Patricia de Nicolai's creations. She is obviously a very talented nose who has some pleasing and unique fragrances, and does her Guerlain heritage proud. I also appreciate that she is able to keep the price point fairly reasonable for a niche product of high quality. Whether or not you agree with her particular sensibilities, I think that Patricia de Nicolai is a highly talented perfumer who deserves every bit of respect she gets in the fragrance world.
    Very well said! I like Balle de Match, Vetyver and Sologne. Pour Homme is absolutely unique. I find New York too powdery, but almost everything Patricia de N. does is interesting and classy.
    Last edited by fool; 5th September 2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: lousy spelling

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    [...]
    I completely agree with this. It's the reason her Cologne Nature is my favorite of her creations. Her absolute artistry just shines in that scent - clearly.

While her other scents I've tried are very well done (Baladin, Vetyver, Sologne, and Pour Homme), the Cologne Nature is the most enjoyable for me.

Ms. de Nicolai is a nose to be respected and one who also appears to understand the craft involved.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Thumbs up Re: Parfums de Nicolaï

"Start Spreadin' the News"

New York , New York!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Zerby; 24th October 2008 at 06:46 PM.

I've had a chance to try out a few more PdN's since this thread first appeared. I'm in the minority, but I don't like New York and traded my bottle... I've also received a bottle of Pour Homme, which I love. I've also tried samples of the Vie de Chateau and Baladin, which are both great. I have a 30ml bottle of the Eau d'Ete, which is a nice little summer citrus, it just doesn't last very long.

I also really love Vanille Tonka. It's a wonderful incense fragrance on me. Some of the world's best frankincense! I know some people have the vanilla or tonka come up pretty strongly on them, but for me it's incense all the way and I love it. It lasts a very long time too.