Code of Conduct

Default how do i start a social group?

well the header says it all

Default Re: how do i start a social group?

Hi,

Welcome to Basenotes!

I have not started a social group either, but let's see if we can figure this out.

Click on the 'Quick Links' button on the upper right of your screen.

Then click on 'Social Groups'.

At the bottom of the Social Groups screen is a button titled 'Create a New Group".

I'll let you take it from there.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Please note that you can only create a group if you are a supporter, so as a newbie, you are prohibited from doing so.

I think this is a good rule because it prohibits newbies, unfortunately, from starting a flood of groups which they are not dedicated too that will do nothing more than flood the system with groups that have no supporters. Now, this is not to say that every newbie would do this because there are alot of wonderful newbies, including myself. When a supporter starts a group, you can be assured that he/she will, in fact, stick around and is wise enough to realize that the group he/she started serves a relevant purpose which will benefit the wonderful Basenotes.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 4th September 2008 at 04:28 AM.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Please note that you can only create a group if you are a supporter, so as a newbie, you are prohibited from doing so.
    Unfortunately, newbies are forced to figure this out on their own. I wanted to create a Los Angeles group, and couldn't figure out why I could not do it. I just happened to notice that all the users who started social groups were Supporters, so I became one. I could not find anywhere in the FAQ where it says one needs to be, so maybe that should be explicitly stated somewhere, instead of forcing people to figure it out via some odd Zen-like insight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post

I think this is a good rule because it prohibits newbies, unfortunately, from starting a flood of groups which they are not dedicated too that will do nothing more than flood the system with groups that have no supporters. Now, this is not to say that every newbie would do this because there are alot of wonderful newbies, including myself. When a supporter starts a group, you can be assured that he/she will, in fact, stick around and is wise enough to realize that the group he/she started serves a relevant purpose which will benefit the wonderful Basenotes.
    I'm sure thats not the reason. it's so more people will sign up at supporters, & thats just fine from a busness standpoint. From a new member stand it's LAMEOOOO.

Thank you TwoRoads, & others!

Quote Originally Posted by DebraJean View Post
    I'm sure thats not the reason. it's so more people will sign up at supporters, & thats just fine from a busness standpoint. From a new member stand it's LAMEOOOO.

Thank you TwoRoads, & others!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Morning Star

I think there is another reason for restricting to Supporters the ability to start a social group. In order to be a Supporter, you are forced to make your true identity known behind the scenes to Grant and other Moderators, since you have to authorize a modest transfer of funds. You wouldn't want completely unknown and untraceable people to be able to come onto a forum with hundreds of participants and set up social activities, for obvious reasons. To do so could expose Basenotes to a possible lawsuit if someone was assaulted or injured.

DebraJean, the $5 per month "cost of admission" into the Supporter ranks is a pittance. You can barely even get a decent latte for that now. If you do any substantial amount of fragrance buying, the information you'll get here is well worth it.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 4th September 2008 at 06:09 PM.

How are you sure that is not the reason? Have you spoken to a moderator or admin.? How do you know for sure that this is a "business decision," and not a move to keep Basenotes Groups more organized? I am a bit confused by your explanation as it does not really tell me much other than here is my opinion without any support.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 4th September 2008 at 08:42 PM.