Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these are bottle worthy?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sycomore

10 16.67%
  • 28 La Pausa

10 16.67%
  • 31 Rue Cambon

19 31.67%
  • Bel Respiro

7 11.67%
  • Bois des Iles

33 55.00%
  • Coromandel

22 36.67%
  • Cuir de Russie

26 43.33%
  • Eau de Cologne

5 8.33%
  • Gardenia

3 5.00%
  • No. 18

8 13.33%
  • No. 22

14 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default POLL: Chanel "Les Exclusifs" which are worth getting?

Which of these do you prefer.

Default Re: POLL: Chanel "Les Exclusifs" which are worth getting?

I have only tried Bois des Iles, Coromandel and Cuir de Russie. Out of these I have totally fallen in love with Cuir de Russie which I am hoping to arrive any day now.

The other two I would too gladly wear anytime. Maybe future buys...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Off-Scenter

I've sampled all of them at the Chanel boutique, and Cuir de Russie is the one I purchased immediately. It remains one of my favorite leather scents, alongside the very different Derby, Knize Ten, Dia, Eau d'Hermes, and Idole.

The next most appealing to me is Bel Respiro, which I'd happily recommend to anyone (any gender) as a versatile, high quality green scent. Third on my list is Sycomore, with its beautiful mossy base and exquisitely balanced accords.

Cuir de Russie is probably the most spectacular. Il also like Bois des Iles but my beloved one is N°22 which, to me, is much more nicer than N°5.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Basenotes Institution

Bel Respiro
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Coromandel, Cuir de Russie and No. 22.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

For me, Bois des Iles, Coromandel, 31 Rue de Cambon and Sycomore are all fantastic. Though I WISH they'd make 100 ml bottles available rather than the silly huge bottles. Splits, anyone???
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

From this list, I''ve tried (decants), N°22, 31 Rue Cambon, and Bois des Iles. I love all 3, and stand in awe of the development of each one, every time I wear them.

N°22: Like a river of sweet cream, with lush florals, french soap and insence. Smooth, long lasting.

31, rue Cambon: The visual, tactile and olfactory experience of a silk scarf. Crisp, dry, floats on the skin, iris root, vegetal carrot tang, rich woods, occasional wisps of sweetness, silky, earth.

Bois des Iles: A menage of pumpkin pie, old books, cold night air, sandalwood, an Irish wool cable knit sweater.

I'd buy full bottles if the volume was 100 mL or less. (It's not so much the cost of the bottle as it is the ridiculously obscene volume!).
    I'm dying to try Cuir de Russie!
    Last edited by pomander; 6th September 2008 at 04:27 PM.

Of the ones I've sampled, my favorites, in order, are:

Bois des Îles
    Cuir de Russie
    Sycomore

I am quickly learning that Chanel may be my favorite house.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    For me, Bois des Iles, Coromandel, 31 Rue de Cambon and Sycomore are all fantastic. Though I WISH they'd make 100 ml bottles available rather than the silly huge bottles. Splits, anyone???
    Oh boy me too! What's the point of selling massive bottles?

I've only tried Bois des Iles but I loved it. I don't feel I have tried enough to actually vote in this poll.

I have tried all of them except No. 18 and Gardenia.

My favorite is Bois des Isles Parfum. I would also consider a FB of Cuir de Russie Parfum.

I need to sample more, but right now I would do bottle splits of Eau de Cologne and Coromandel. I got a 5ml decant of 31 Rue Cambon from TPC. I love the top and middle, but the drydown is a little weird on me, so I am still not sure about this one.

Sycomore I did not like. 28 la Pausa and Bel Respiro were "meh".

And Chanel IS my favorite house

Looks like we might have enough for a Coromandel bottle split...hopefully it is ok to say that in the public thread.
    Last edited by Asha; 5th September 2008 at 03:44 AM.

I love Bel Respiro, and it lasts a long time on my skin.
    I also liked Sycomore, and the iris ones 28 La Pausa and No. 18, although I need more trial runs on those before thinking full bottle.

I admire Coromandel, but it is not me. I also fell in love with the Eau de Cologne, but I think it is a big investement for cologne.

31 Rue Cambone has not convinced me. I have gotten two samples and I am still not sure.

I have a decant of #22 and would like to give another try to Bois des Iles, since I wear Egoiste.

I have had Gardenia before it was part of the Exclusifs, but I don't think I would spend the money on it.

Oh, I just realized I am a Chanel girl.

I can't wait to try the new Beige!!!

I would like to read any impressions on the Beige.

I love the Chanels.
    Of "Les Exclusifs" I like: Coromandel, Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and No22.
    There's just something about them.

Thinking of splurging on the big bottles of BdI and CdR -- my 100mls (the older bottles) are almost all gone... I've been sharing

I'm hoarding bottles of BdI, CdR and No22 parfum (still yet unopened, I know, I know! but I cannot bear to open them, they are very precious to me).

Have the formulation changed from the more recent 100ml bottles to the new 200ml bottles? Does anyone have any opinion?
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Plus

Coromandel, 31 Rue Cambon & Sycomore were my choices. It's not that I don't enjoy some of the others, I do. It's just the bottles are so darn BIG. I don't think I'd wear the others enough to justify the purchase. The bottles are very difficult to decant; much of the juice is lost vis a vis the atomizer. Seems a sin to me.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

My favourites are No. 18 and 28 La Pausa, although neither are very long-lasting (if that's important to you). Eau de Cologne is also very nice, and of course Cuir de Russie is stunning.

No. 22 and Gardenia are my least favourite. Coromandel is beautiful, but a bit cloying, as is 31. Bel Respiro gets a big "meh" from me.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    I love the Chanels.
    Of "Les Exclusifs" I like: Coromandel, Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and No22.
    There's just something about them.

Thinking of splurging on the big bottles of BdI and CdR -- my 100mls (the older bottles) are almost all gone... I've been sharing

I'm hoarding bottles of BdI, CdR and No22 parfum (still yet unopened, I know, I know! but I cannot bear to open them, they are very precious to me).

Have the formulation changed from the more recent 100ml bottles to the new 200ml bottles? Does anyone have any opinion?
    The new EDT's seem to be consistent with the old EDT's to me...but I'd be tempted to stock up on any parfum/edp concentrations you come across (especially of CdR, as you could always sell it for a great profit later).

My absolute favourite is 31, rue Cambon, and was surprised to see it lagging in the polls. That is so timeless and elegant, with a wonderful creaminess and a pretty iris note. Next would come Bois des Iles, which is a winter favourite (I am talking about my small decants here!), for its snuggly, woody, slightly foody character. La Pausa is third, the drydown of which is stunning (creamy iris again), though the opening blast has a cryogenic chill to it! Cuir de Russie is my "petal-strewn molten creamy leather in the back of an old Bentley" scent, which of course we all need from time to time. Bel Respiro is nice and freshly green, but not quite FBW, Coromandel I have wobbled with for a long time and now probably dismissed as a bit sickly, the cologne is not remarkable, No 22 is aldehydes high in a candy store, and No 18 is interesting but doesn't move me. Sycomore is too astringent, and Gardenia I have yet to try, but I haven't been wowed by the reviews, certainly - gardenia is such a tricky note.

I tried them all, got samples of most, and bought Bel Respiro this summer. My husband went nutty for the Bel Respiro, and since I loved both 31 Rue Cambon and BR, I got the BR. The only downside of all of them is longevity. Yes, galbanum never lasts more than 10 minutes, but BR only lasts 30 minutes, tops. 31RC lasts about an hour. Cuir de Russie is gorgeous and lasts longer, but didn't suit either of us. We can both wear BR. If 31RC lasted several hours, I'd go for a bottle, it's delightful.

I have a small decant of 31 Rue Cambon. I sprayed 4 wet sprays (2 to each forearm). The scent was very strong, and lasted a few hours. I love the top and middle notes, but the drydown is not so great, IMO.

I have a slightly larger decant of Eau de Cologne, and I solve the longevity problem the same way--2 wet sprays to each forearm, then my sleeves go over. This one is wonderful from beginning to end, but I think it is so low key, that it doesn't get as much attention.
    Last edited by Asha; 7th September 2008 at 06:44 AM.

It's funny, I never thought I was a Chanel girl. Chanel No. 5 makes me sneeze and smells wrong on me, and the others haven't quite worked on me either.

Then I found the Exclusifs at the Chanel Boutique yesterday. I tried Gardenia, Bois des Iles, and No. 22.

The Gardenia was lovely, although not extraordinary on me. I suspect I would have appreciated it more if I didn't try the others at the same time.

Bois des Iles was nice but not as spectacular as I thought it might be until I got to the drydown. At Tovah's suggestion, I'm going to try the parfum version at some point.

No. 22, on the other hand, knocked my socks off. I didn't even realize this was an Exclusif, and I almost passed it over. The brilliant Tovah suggested I try it and it ended up being just perfect on me from beginning to end. Actually, the drydown on No. 22 was fairly similar on me to that of Bois des Iles.

I ran out of skin for 31 Rue Cambon and have ordered a sample.

Oh yes, and in the past, I've tried Cuir de Russie, thanks to the generous dimples. While I can tell it is well-made, I get the sneeze effect.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Discovering Les Exclusifs was a turning point in my love for perfume. Yes, I know that the bottles are ridiculously big, and that this makes them expensive... But if you look at it, it's like buying 2 bottles, and it's such high quality juice that you start wondering whether other fragrances are really worth the big money you pay for them.

I'm not super familiar with the newer Exclusifs. Cuir de Russie is one of my favorites on men (if you are looking for yourself). I like Bois des Iles too. I thought I'd love Coromandel, but it's very similar to Lutens' Borneo and I do prefer Borneo. Actually, I found Coromandel very sweet and a bit nauseating. 31 Rue Cambon is nice, but not the chypre they claim it to be.

I'd like to try these more thoroughly, though.

i own Cuir de Russie and want bois de illes. i'd also like to get sycomore, though perhaps in decant size (oh, who am i kidding, if i like it, i buy full bottles... decant bottles are ugly. there, i said it!) I'm interested in eau de colonge, as well, but not sure if i can justify a big one on something so fleeting (or at least i imagine it to be fleeting, given what it is)
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

my all time favorites is No.18 i love how transparent & classy it is just like a jewel .. so sublime.
    28 La Pausa is my 2nd fav. a real cocon.
    can't wait to sniff Biege ...

Are they bringing Cuir de Russie back? I was devastated when it dissapeared from just about everywhere except E-bay.

Are they going to re-formulate it? Hope not.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Thanks ladies (and gents) for taking part , what I love about the women's forum is the details you give about a fragrance..here are some parts of your "reviews" of the "Les Exclusifs":

No.18 i love how transparent & classy it is just like a jewel .. so sublime

Coromandel, but it's very similar to Lutens' Borneo

found Coromandel very sweet and a bit nauseating. 31 Rue Cambon is nice,

but not the chypre they claim it to be.

The Gardenia was lovely, although not extraordinary on me

Bois des Iles was nice but not as spectacular as I thought it might be

until I got to the drydown

No. 22, on the other hand, knocked my socks off. I didn't even realize this

was an Exclusif

I've tried Cuir de Russie, While I can tell it is well-made, I get the

sneeze effect

31 Rue Cambon. The scent was very strong, and lasted a few hours. I love

the top and middle notes, but the drydown is not so great

bought Bel Respiro this summer. My husband went nutty for the Bel Respiro

31, rue Cambon, and was surprised to see it lagging in the polls. That is

so timeless and elegant, with a wonderful creaminess and a pretty iris

note. Next would come Bois des Iles, which is a winter favourite (I am

talking about my small decants here!), for its snuggly, woody, slightly

foody character. La Pausa is third, the drydown of which is stunning

(creamy iris again), though the opening blast has a cryogenic chill to it!

Cuir de Russie is my "petal-strewn molten creamy leather in the back of an

old Bentley" scent, which of course we all need from time to time. Bel

Respiro is nice and freshly green, but not quite FBW, Coromandel I have

wobbled with for a long time and now probably dismissed as a bit sickly,

the cologne is not remarkable, No 22 is aldehydes high in a candy store,

and No 18 is interesting but doesn't move me. Sycomore is too astringent,

and Gardenia I have yet to try, but I haven't been wowed by the reviews,

certainly - gardenia is such a tricky note.

Coromandel is beautiful, but a bit cloying, as is 31. Bel Respiro gets a

big "meh" from me

N°22: Like a river of sweet cream, with lush florals, french soap and

insence. Smooth, long lasting.

31, rue Cambon: The visual, tactile and olfactory experience of a silk

scarf. Crisp, dry, floats on the skin, iris root, vegetal carrot tang, rich

woods, occasional wisps of sweetness, silky, earth.

Bois des Iles: A menage of pumpkin pie, old books, cold night air,

sandalwood, an Irish wool cable knit sweater

Cuir de Russie is the one I purchased immediately. It remains one of my

favorite leather scents, alongside the very different Derby, Knize Ten,

Dia, Eau d'Hermes, and Idole.

The next most appealing to me is Bel Respiro, which I'd happily recommend

to anyone (any gender) as a versatile, high quality green scent. Third on

my list is Sycomore, with its beautiful mossy base and exquisitely balanced

accords.

Afra