79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up to $60

8 10.13%
  • $60 go $100

15 18.99%
  • More than $100

56 70.89%

Default Poll: How much have you paid for a fragrance

I've wanted to try Oud oil for a while, but I find myself extremely hesitant to pay the extreme price for any of these. I guess those are over my limit.

What have you paid for a highly desired fragrance.
    I have left it a bit vague; but please take part in the poll.
    Last edited by JonB; 4th September 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: Poll: How much have you paid for a fragrance

Don't worry... when I first started, the only thing I'd paid more than $100 for was my lone bottle of Silver Mountain Water. (I think they were $190 for a 4oz then). Sadly or not, since then I've sold much of my original collection of things I'd gathered through college as I've found things that satisfy me more. At this point, nearly all of my collection is close to, or over the $100 mark. I love them all though so I don't feel as bad about it!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

130 for SMW

Your poll needs more price points. I've bought fragrances in each of these ranges and much more (>$250) for a couple.
    Last edited by surreality; 5th September 2008 at 02:20 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

I've pushed over the $200 mark, but not often. I go over $100 occasionally, and over $60 all the time. I don't really find a correlation between price and quality. I paid $10-15 for several older YSL scents in the fashion discount store, and they're definitely better than many niche scents at 10-15 times the price. But if I want something a lot, I'll tolerate the expense.

People choose what they want to appreciate at a high level. A fancy ride and a brilliant timepiece would be wasted on me. Others appreciate those things, and I have admiration for people with the taste to enjoy them. But I see these things in purely utilitarian terms, and have no real desire to update my battered truck or my trusty watch. My odometer gives me more pleasure than my tachometer. However, fragrances are a different story. I experience these beautiful scents with such great pleasure that I see nothing wrong with paying what is required for the ride.

$150.00 for a bottle of Amber Canelle.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I've wanted to try Oud oil for a while, but I find myself extremely hesitant to pay the extreme price for any of these. I guess those are over my limit.

What have you paid for a highly desired fragrance.
    I have left it a bit vague; but please take part in the poll.
    OK, so far this is reassuring. I've been thinking that I am getting out of control, but I guess it's not abnormal to want to collect that fifth $100 bottle of frag.

I donīt mind going over 100$ but it has to be worth it, and not a small quantity. I donīt know if I would pay that much for say 5 ml of oil, not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Don't worry... when I first started, the only thing I'd paid more than $100 for was my lone bottle of Silver Mountain Water. (I think they were $190 for a 4oz then). Sadly or not, since then I've sold much of my original collection of things I'd gathered through college as I've found things that satisfy me more. At this point, nearly all of my collection is close to, or over the $100 mark. I love them all though so I don't feel as bad about it!
    What he said.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I do my best to keep it under the $100 mark. Buying partially used bottles from Basenoters is one of the best sources in that range and some of the ones much more expensive, and lower in price/shipping than bargains from eBay or Amazon, can be had through Basenoters within that price limit.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Haven't broke the $100 mark.. yet. I would though, undoubtedly, if I had the money to spare .
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I bought Ambre Sultan and Bois du Portugal.....these are the most expensive perfumes I have. Also, the big bottle of Hammam Bouquet is more expensive now, at 110 dollars.

Sur la Plage

Over $100 for a few.

I always try to get good deals via Basenotes, eBay, coupon codes, etc. - so that some that would retail for > $100, I have been able to get for < $100.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

These days with the exchange rate it's sadly easy to pay $100 or more..

yesterday at bergdorf goodman by 4oz. bottle fo creed silver mountain water ran me $250+tax so it came out to $270 which is a whopper but well worth it because later that day 3 girls at 3 different times told me its amazing and 2 of them said the best cologne they ever smelled on a guy.
    i also spent $190 on a bottle of bond no.9 coney island. these 2 r my alltime fav

My bottle of Mouchoir de Monsieur from Bergdorf Goodman was over 100.00 some 20 years ago! Almost purchased Derby at 200.00 recently but re considered when I realized I really did not like the fragrance that much.

I don't like to spend over $50 ever,(usually more like under $30 lately!lol) But the highest I think I ever paid was around $70 bucks for 1million a couple years ago

I have paid over $100.00 for a fragrance and fairly often but I still haven't went above $200.00 just yet. Close at $195.00 for Opus VI so I am nearly pushing the envelope. I would rather wait until the market settles on the newer versions to a more complimentary price point.

Since this thread was started in 2008, any additions to the Poll will skew the original result - inflation has been happening.
    This thread is being closed.

Please refrain from bumping these extremely historic threads.