Code of Conduct

Default Ultimate Pine for a 23 yr old

I just recently purchased a shaving soap that is luxuriously piney. Smells like a Christmas Forest. I love it. It reminds me of my summers and falls as a child chopping kindling for my great aunt's fireplace in East Texas.

Is there a scent, in your opinion, that reeks of piney goodness and WASP sophistication?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Ultimate Pine for a 23 yr old

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur (my favorite pine)
    Rocabar by Hermes
    Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

To name a few...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Polo
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Versace Green Jeans maybe?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Pine? Look no further than the green bottle of Polo

Alternatives...

If you can find it, Halston 101.

Ferrari Passion Unlimited has a funky honey-pine to it.

ck IN2U Him has some pine in it, too but it's a sweet woody note and not entirely pine.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy reminded me a lot of Polo.

Versace Green Jeans is a minty pine.

Pino Silvestre or Comme des Garcons Sequoia

Close, but more cedar than pine: Gucci Rush for Men, Fou d'Absinthe.

Not sure about the WASP sophistication factor...
    Last edited by Snafoo; 5th September 2008 at 02:06 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Off-Scenter

Blenheim Bouquet: piney WASP sophisitication in a bottle.
    Yatagan: scary, piney beast in a bottle.

I'll second MikePerez' nomination of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. It is my favorite after-shower barbershop-style fragrance. And my wife loves it too.

Teddius

I'll also suggest Blenheim Bouquet. It's traditional and sophisticated, with a deeply resinous pine note. I'd say that it meets your requirements perfectly.

I also like Versace Green Jeans. It's fresher and more youthful, combining the pine with mint and ozonic notes. Versace Versus is good if you want citrus, ozonic, and pine notes.

An often overlooked one is Nicole Farhi Homme, which is a dark coniferous scent with subtle additions of Oriental elements. This one is very nice!

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 5th September 2008 at 04:17 AM.

Creed Epicea (Freezing cold natural dark pine w/ some spice and citrus)
    Blenheim Bouquet (snobby pine, WASPY)
    Fou D'Absinthe (very sharp and dark mossy pine)
    I like Rocabar, but disagree no pine. Dill and sweet dry woods
    Lot of lemon and herbs with that Pine...Bowling Green
    Last edited by DULLAH; 5th September 2008 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Creed Epicea (Freezing cold natural dark pine w/ some spice and citrus)
    Blenheim Bouquet (snobby pine, WASPY)
    Fou D'Absinthe (very sharp and dark mossy pine)
    I like Rocabar, but disagree no pine. Dill and sweet dry woods
    Lot of lemon and herbs with that Pine...Bowling Green
    hahaha first time I've heard a fragrance is WASPY

Do people consider Paco Rabanne ph a pine scent? When I tried it I enjoyed it.

Polo Ralph Lauren is most close to WASP soph.

More to choose from:
    Eloge du Traitre Etat Libre d`Orange and its predecessor Yatagan Caron
    Zagorsk CDG Serie Incense (doubts that it would fit WASP bill)
    Chevalier d`Orsay (wood pine, not needles)
    Agua Brava Puig - citrus and pine needles. A bit cheap smelling, like Pino Silvestre. Quorum Puig is better for an American.
    Jules Dior - very dark and animalic masculine. Herbs, citrus and woods.

There`s pine needles in L`Anarchist Caron list, but I can not detect it myself under the musks.

Also feminine Alliage (I wonder if someone could say it`s feminine scent nowadays).
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Rocabar by Hermes
    Zagorsk CDG Serie Incense
    Hinoki CDG
    Versace Green Jeans
    Yatagan
    or simply... Pino Silvestre

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Yes, I agree that Blenheim Bouquet is what you are looking for. But don't buy it yet. It is very expensive. Please try the inexpensive PINO SILVESTRE first. It is a very good pine, without the citrus that you find in Blenheim Bouquet.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Yes, I agree that Blenheim Bouquet is what you are looking for. But don't buy it yet. It is very expensive. Please try the inexpensive PINO SILVESTRE first. It is a very good pine, without the citrus that you find in Blenheim Bouquet.

Yeah....what this guy said!!

Fou d'Absinthe reminds me of a christmas forest as well!

Oh definitely Blenheim.

But, what about Devin guys?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    What's WASP mean?
    White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_A...xon_Protestant
    Last edited by nenugal; 5th September 2008 at 01:43 PM.
    I love cologne.

I like Nicole Fahri pour Homme,same as Noggs.Suitable for a younger guy with good lasting power without being too in your face.I also think Jean Charles Brosseau's Atlas Cedar has a hint of pine als o and is refreshing without being too strong
    funnyboy

Hi Mike!!!!

Creed Cypres Musc and Mazzolari Mazzolari worths a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    I just recently purchased a shaving soap that is luxuriously piney. Smells like a Christmas Forest. I love it. It reminds me of my summers and falls as a child chopping kindling for my great aunt's fireplace in East Texas.

Is there a scent, in your opinion, that reeks of piney goodness and WASP sophistication?

Yatagan- look no further... cheap and best... does the job well

I used to wear Hammam Bouquet, but gave it up and sold it after I discovered that talcum powder and rose water smells just as close. I like Blenheim Bouquet (I have a sample), but unfortunately, my wife hates it. And I find that the pine note doesn't last that long on me, just the pepper. Hmm. Haven't worn Polo in a long time though.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Blog Entries

I second the recommendation of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki, it's a beautiful pine fragrance. Baldessarini Classic also has a fir note that's rather nice.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Blog Entries

I used to wear Hammam Bouquet, but gave it up and sold it after I discovered that talcum powder and rose water smells just as close. I like Blenheim Bouquet (I have a sample), but unfortunately, my wife hates it. And I find that the pine note doesn't last that long on me, just the pepper. Hmm. Haven't worn Polo in a long time though.
    A very long-lasting, pine-sol sort of pine, is Neil Morris Northwoods. Very, very strong EDP. It scared me on paper, but it's much nicer on skin.

Yatagan is my new fave wood. Beautiful.

Norvegian guy explaining to American - who are the WASPs? - I found that part of this thread very entertaining

Anyway, I`d like to know WHAT EXACTLY you choose from all our pine-scents suggestions, Texican!

By the way, St. Abo story is great to read again Especially concerning last events in Ossetia, Georgia and Russia...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Norvegian guy explaining to American - who are the WASPs? - I found that part of this thread very entertaining

Anyway, I`d like to know WHAT EXACTLY you choose from all our pine-scents suggestions, Texican!

By the way, St. Abo story is great to read again Especially concerning last events in Ossetia, Georgia and Russia...
    Yeah, St. Abo is a cool guy. Hopefully one day I'll get a little icon of him for my icon corner.

I am purchasing samples right now. Epicea, Northwoods, and I'm trying to get another sample of Polo but it seems very hard to find. I am wearing the Blenheim Bouquet right now, but I'm just not getting the Christmassy piney scent that reminds me of North East Texas. Maybe it is just different on my skin.

smeller

I also love Yatagan and Polo Green, but isn't Équipage the ultimate pine scent?

To me, Èquipage it's the one and only mainstream scent that can join the words sophistication and pine in the same sentence. About Yatagan, I don't see pine as its main feature.

The WASP thing intrigues me: isn't my beloved Polo Green a Ralph Lauren icon about the american dream? Guess what, Ralph Lauren is a jew descendant from Belarus (Ralph Lifshitz), born in the Bronx, and I admire him more because of it. It could be about breaking social and ethnical barriers through hard work. The perfumer of Polo: Carlos Benaim, a moroccan. Far away from WASP, also.

I tend to see pine more as an italian smelling thing: you know: Pino Silvestre, Proraso... old school, but still classy IF you can wear it.

But if you still want to perceive pine as sophisticated wasp, I do not blame you, and Blenheim Bouquet should be your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    The WASP thing intrigues me: isn't my beloved Polo Green a Ralph Lauren icon about the american dream? Guess what, Ralph Lauren is a jew descendant from Belarus (Ralph Lifshitz), born in the Bronx, and I admire him more because of it. It could be about breaking social and ethnical barriers through hard work.
    Isn't this a little bit ironic? I mean, the brand image of "Ralph Lauren" is all about tradition, old-money, WASP-East-Coast-aristocracy, with a good deal of British snobbism.

To me, it isn't at all about the American dream, this "from rags to riches"-thing, but far more this "American-dynasty-thing".

To me, it's just fake.

But "Polo" is great nonetheless.

I used Pino S. for years, back in the 80's; really liked it. Came in a sort of Christmss tree shaped bottle with pine cone top.

Rare Polo by RL? I believe that in US this scent should be widespread...

I forgot to mention Ormonde Man (Ormonde Jayne), it`s not pine cologne, but it is green and coniferous enough (black hemlock?) with citrus start and woody amber sillage.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    I used Pino S. for years, back in the 80's; really liked it. Came in a sort of Christmss tree shaped bottle with pine cone top.
    Or a forest gnome

I love Yatagan, but for what you're describing, I'd definitely go for Fou d'Absinthe. Also, you should check out Demeter's Christmas Tree. It may not be complex enough for the "WASP" part of your request, but it sure smells like a Christmas tree!

I’ve been waiting for such a question! Pine is my obsession!! It is why prompted me to get back into fragrances after a long hiatus. I’m still searching for my holy grail scent: it would be very fresh and invigorating, like a walk in a majestic and calm forest.

My top scents in the pine category are:
    Fou D’Absinthe (L’Artisan Parfumer). Wonderful, warm, beautiful.
    Epicea (Creed). A true classic.
    Eau de 4 Voleurs (L’Occitane de Provence). Sadly, this has been discontinued!
    Two excellent, very hard to find long-discontinued Italian scents: Corteccia di Pino (Borsari) and Silvester (Modano).
    And an honorable mention for Knize Forest which is hard to find now and is a more complex green scent than strictly pine.

Wonderful scents in a pine-herbal mode are:
    La Base for Him (Magic Helvetia). Excellent, subtle
    Good ol’ Pino Silvestre! Perhaps an acquired taste but widely available and inexpensive.

Lemon-pine is an excellent combination:
    Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon’s. Superb, one of my favorite scents.
    Eau de Rochas pour Homme
    Eau D’Hadrien
    Fragonard Vetiver

Many old-school (70s-80s) scents have a charming whiff of pine
    Tsar. Readily available, and always great, IMO.
    Yatagan.
    Eloge du Traitre. This is a kinder, greener version of Yatagan. A modern scent but in the old-school style.
    Gucci Nobile
    Equipage
    Carlo Corinto
    Basile Uomo
    Chevalier D’Orsay
    Armani
    Paco Rabanne

I think Cumming is over-rated and has NO pine in it. Acqua di Selva irritates me. 1828 is a feeble scent, not worth serious inquiry.

Watch for products (soap, bath/shower gel) at Christmas time.

Yup, it is an obsession.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

For those who can't get enough discussion of pine, check out my thread on the Women's section, "Invite comments on Pine." It is very interesting to see these reactions!
    Cheers.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur (my favorite pine)
    Rocabar by Hermes

To name a few...
    Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur . I only smelled this once but it is pure Christmas tree. You are right.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Rocabar by Hermes
    Zagorsk CDG Serie Incense
    Hinoki CDG
    Versace Green Jeans
    Yatagan
    or simply... Pino Silvestre
    Just received my first bottle of Yatagan. It is great, but I do believe they have changed the formulation. The tester I had tried locally was the older red label with black top, ( the newer is a white label with silver cap) and the first "whiff" (from the tester) if that is the proper word, blasted me with what could be a scent from god knows where.. The new one, well that blast is not there. Any way, whatever, change in formulation or not, this is truly fabulous stuff and a bargin if any of this is. (could be my new favorite. I am such a fragrence sl--.t
    Last edited by richard d; 9th September 2008 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    For those who can't get enough discussion of pine, check out my thread on the Women's section, "Invite comments on Pine." It is very interesting to see these reactions!
    Cheers.
    I went and checked out the post on the Women's forum, and I am glad to hear that it's not just men that like pine notes. I myself love them.

JonB

I will second/fourth the L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe. It instantly reminded me of pine forests as well.

I second & or third
    Basile Uomo
    Carlo Corinto
    Gucci Nobile
    & most of all Pino Silvestre .
    In my opinion , Pino also is amongst the heavies in the Pine department .
    It also happens to be like Kouros ,, either loved or hated , a Jeckyl & Hydehere at basenotes for many members & I could not understand why ? but the reason for this is now apparent to me.
    I recently purchased a back up bottle . When it arrived it was horrible
    I didn't know what to think but was it I was definately dissapointed big time ! ... for a number of reasons .
    Commonsense dictated to me that it cannot be a serious reformulation .
    So either this particular bottle has been basking in sunlight for too long or even worse still something has gone wrong on a huge scale in its distribution/storage .
    My thoughts >> I suspect large batches of this have & are still being sold globally , and many have unfortunately purchased bottles of these bad ones over the years & naturally have commented on how horrible this is .
    I now realize why words such as "crap" - "vomit" - "vile" etc etc have been used to describe it .
    I hope to try some real soon at a dept store that stocks it & hope its the same fresh pleasing classic that I know .
    Perhaps others who like it can spritz some on some spare skin when scent hunting & re-confirm its still good to their nose too .
    cheers
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 24th September 2008 at 04:26 AM.

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43