Code of Conduct

Default Discontinued Fragrances

I have a question about discontinued fragrances. Is it wise to buy a fragrance that has been discontinued for a few or more years? Will the scent still last if I buy it today? I am asking this because fragrances do not improve with age so I am worried that if I buy a discontinued fragrance that has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for years that it may not retain its original intended smell. I don't want some old bottle that has been manufactured a long time ago and barely retains its original fragrance. May someone shed some insight on this?
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th September 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Default Re: Discontinued Fragrances

Welcome ta' Basenotes, Ronin!

Y'all shouldn't have too many problems with Disc. frags... As long as they're stored properly, they'll not degrade. Light is tha' main reason frags go bad. Since most discontinued frags are stored in their packaging in a dark wharehouse, this is generally not a big deal. As for yr. query about frags agein'... some members here, will tell ya that tha' older ones get BETTER with age! Finally, any quality retailer is gonna be more than willin' ta' stand behind their product- if it's not right, they'll take care of it.

No, tha' only problem Y'all are likely ta' have with these, is their rapidly escallatin' values...

Good luck,man!
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Welcome ta' Basenotes, Ronin!

Y'all shouldn't have too many problems with Disc. frags... As long as they're stored properly, they'll not degrade. Light is tha' main reason frags go bad. Since most discontinued frags are stored in their packaging in a dark wharehouse, this is generally not a big deal. As for yr. query about frags agein'... some members here, will tell ya that tha' older ones get BETTER with age! Finally, any quality retailer is gonna be more than willin' ta' stand behind their product- if it's not right, they'll take care of it.

No, tha' only problem Y'all are likely ta' have with these, is their rapidly escallatin' values...

Good luck,man!
    Wow, really? That's good news since I was looking at getting Nicole Miller and Horizon by Guy Laroche. My friend got Horizon and I think it is a great smell and definitely retained its intended smell despite being discontinued. The bottle is great as well. Thanks for the help and welcoming me into the forum. I just got into the world of fragrances and I am having a great time doing research and finding that I do not need to spend a fortune to get fantastic smelling fragrances.

Nicole Miller for Men was recently re-issued and there is fresh stock at various online stores.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=207997
    Last edited by MadScientist; 6th September 2008 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Nicole Miller for Men was recently re-issued and there is fresh stock at various online stores.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=207997
    Does the new batch of Nicole Miller have an ingredient called "BHT"?

Also, any recommendations for some great and cheap colognes that can be bought for under $40 or $50?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Does the new batch of Nicole Miller have an ingredient called "BHT"?
    No. Some of my other perfume boxes DO have it listed so I assume it is required to be listed if it's in the perfume. What is the significance?

To be fine, the bottle has to be stored in a cool place and in its box or in a dark place.The more natural ingredients you have in your fragrance, the best it is.
    Sometimes, the top notes slightly evaporate but not always.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    No. Some of my other perfume boxes DO have it listed so I assume it is required to be listed if it's in the perfume. What is the significance?
    I am a bit of a health nut so "BHT" is a not something I want to put in my body.

http://www.canadiancontent.ca/issues/0499bht.html

With that said, I know there are synthetic ingredients and colors in many colognes but I guess that is the price you must pay to smell good.

I just want to ask something. Do many discontinued fragrances have dangerous ingredients that end in the word "phthalate."
    Last edited by Ronin; 15th September 2008 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I just want to ask something. Do many discontinued fragrances have dangerous ingredients that end in the word "phthalate."
    Every second your body is being bombarded with things far worse for you than the chemicals found in perfumes, whether its chemicals in the air, food you eat, the sun, cosmic radiation, etc etc. In all honesty, I wouldn't worry so much.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Fragrances can degrade even if sealed in their original packages.

I bought a still-sealed bottle of Laura Ashley No. 1 on eBay and it had really lost its top notes. I would say: buy discontinued fragrances at your own risk.