Code of Conduct

Default Obsession for the young man

I love Calvin Klein Obsession but in many ways it is a scent for an older man. I know as a basenoter that shouldn't matter to me and in some ways it doesn't I still rock the Obsession but I was wondering is there a more youthful alternative to Obsession I know Obsession is one of the all time classic but what are some alternatives for the young man?

Default Re: Obsession for the young man

Stop worrying and just wear the stuff
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

YSL L'Homme
    Tom Ford for Men
    Acier Aluminum,
    Hypnose,
    Egoiste,

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82 View Post
    I love Calvin Klein Obsession but in many ways it is a scent for an older man. I know as a basenoter that shouldn't matter to me and in some ways it doesn't I still rock the Obsession but I was wondering is there a more youthful alternative to Obsession I know Obsession is one of the all time classic but what are some alternatives for the young man?
    Platinum Egoiste. Sophisticated but light enough to be young.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th September 2008 at 04:03 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

ill go by what Irish Said..and Add...

Baldessarini classic and Ambre
    Rochas LUI
    Gucci Ph

I fell in love with Obsession as well, but I too find it a little hard to wear. It does smell a little 'dated' and is very 80s. It is definitely recognizable. A good youthful alternative is Gucci Envy.

Gucci Envy probably should be my next purchase. I already have the Hypnose that was recommended I only tested Gucci Envy on paper and it was so much like Obsession I thought well maybe to close the Tom Ford to me was very similiar to Obsession again I didn't know if it was to close to purchase anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Stop worrying and just wear the stuff
    Absolutely!

BTW, the title of this thread gives makes it seem a bit perverted.

omg! of course someone would say that..lol only here at basenotes. alson known as DIVA notes

Oh baby!

Okay here's the thing chicken wing. I smelled a fragrance that was the spitting olfactory image of Obsession at The Perfume House a week ago and now I can't remember what it was. It was niche, and probably pricey. But damns did it smell good.

It may have been from Serge Lutens.. possibly Bois 1920. Maybe it was Rousse? http://www.basenotes.net/ID26127003.html Oh well. Dude just go sample Gris Clair, it's a lighter oriental with prominent lavender and I'd be flabbergasted if you didn't like it.

Oh, and Obsession is definitely not for the older man. I'm 20 and love it.

OH no I know what you want. OH MAN will you love this. I remember what I smelled that reminded me a little of Obsession. Jaipur Homme. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120858.html Make sure the one you try is eau de parfum version. It's a fancier looking bottle with metal on top. If you like Obsession you will LOVE this. It can be found at Nordstroms.
    Last edited by genvy5; 5th September 2008 at 08:26 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Obsession for Men is the correct name for this fragrance. tbb82, you might want to change the title of the thread - so it's not confusing. Regardless of double entendres.

IMO, OFM is not an age specific fragrance. I remember when it came out in the 1980's, I was a teen, and I wore it all of the time.

If a fragrance makes you feel uncomfortable wearing it, then don't wear it. I don't think you came here to Basenotes, to get us to 'convert' you into feeling okay with something you don't. But don't make the mistake of labeling your reason as being uncomfortable, because of your age.

As for other suggestions, have you smelled Addict by Christian Dior? I think it smells just like the vintage (prior to reformulated) OFM, but it's a little more sweet and a lot more modern. Oh, and it's marketed to women too. Next time you're at Sephora, walk over to the womans side and try it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th September 2008 at 08:37 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Double entendres are like the national sport for Mexicans.
    I remember people talking about
    Fcuk Her/Him.
    Kiss Him.
    Be delicious for Him (actually it is DKNY Be Delicious Men)
    Childish, I know, but after a while you can't help but notice that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    omg! of course someone would say that..lol only here at basenotes. alson known as DIVA notes
    Did you just call me Diva?

who cares?

Bath & Body Works "Woodland" cologne would be a great choice. And at $25 a bottle, it fits the young man's budget as well.

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Bath & Body Works "Woodland" cologne would be a great choice. And at $25 a bottle, it fits the young man's budget as well.
    Can I add that Woodland is very long lasting with great sillage - better then the current version of Obsession for men.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    As for other suggestions, have you smelled Addict by Christian Dior? I think it smells just like the vintage (prior to reformulated) OFM, but it's a little more sweet and a lot more modern. Oh, and it's marketed to women too. Next time you're at Sephora, walk over to the womans side and try it.
    I love this scent - I think it's even better than my vintage OFM, which I'm tired of. But I never tire of Addict. Unfortunately, it's my wife's signature scent, so I don't feel comfortable wearing it. She does think that it's wearable by a man.

I've thought about trying the new Obsession Night For Men, but it sounds like a completely different animal.

I concur with Mike. Obsession is a young man's fragrance - I also wore it in high school when it came out. I also agree that the present formulation has drifted from the original quite a ways. But then so has Egoiste.

Wear what you enjoy.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Don't want to say they are similar, but try "Vera Wang For Men", and wait until the green tangerine dries down. Its a sophisticated aromatic oriental scent.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)