Code of Conduct

Default OH LORDY!!! Dior Homme Sport now at Sephora!

This is the one frag that scares me imagining what it will smell like. Have any brave souls tried it yet? Looks like the iris note is gone replaced by ginger or rather it sounds like it has nothing to do with the smell of the original.

Here's how it's described on the website...

A road. A man. A car. A fragrance. Dior for men celebrates the courage, daring, and intensity of the world's most exciting sport--the passion, excitement, and speed of cars and racing with a fresh, spicy, woody new scent for men. Dior Homme Sport bursts with vigor and vitality with citron and cedarwood accords plus, at its heart, a signature new ginger accord, energizing, masculine, and powerful. Made for the man who lives boldly, freely, intensely, without breaks, every minute of the day.

Notes:
    Citron, Cedarwood Accord, Ginger Accord.

Style:
    Adventurous. Exhilarating. Free.

A chill went up my spine again.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Blog Entries

Default Re: OH LORDY!!! Dior Homme Sport now at Sephora!

haven't smelled it yet...

the description gets me really excited though...with the race car talk and i.....i know i know....they've targeted my weakness....CARS.

I'm excited too. I hope they have a ton of samples for me to try

I tried it last week at Sephora amongst several others. It didn't make an impression.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I tried it last week at Sephora amongst several others. It didn't make an impression.
    really? another run of the mill sports fragrance?

its funny i went to two different sephoras in the past two weeks,both of which had a completely different selection of mens frags, but neither had this one...odd...but im curios too because i actually like giner as a note.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I got to smell this very quickly, but I have to say that it is not that bad. It is another men's fragrance built on dihydromyrcenol (or another derivative), but the ginger note wraps perfectly around this synthetic raw material. From a technical aspect, it's an interesting accord, but the smell overall is not too interesting and innovative.

it didn't seem likely but it's probably going to sell well because of the marketing forces behind it.

Sur la Plage

I didn't think it was that bad. I think it is better then a lot of other recent men's designer releases (Armani, Hilfiger, Versace, etc.). It didn't thrill me enough that I want to purchase it though.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tried this at Sephora a few weeks ago - they are suppose to be getting it at Macys mid -Sept. Nothing like the original - very lemony (not bad - I like lemon) lasted 2 hours tops on me - they had plenty of samples at my Sephora. Can't see buying this.

Its very average, especially for Christian Dior. Another citrussy-sports frag. Reminds me of a watered down, less complex Nightflight.
    People will buy it because of the brand, but really its not any different from cheaper designers.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I tried this at Sephora last week.... now, keep in mind I'm both a huge Christian Dior and Dior Homme fan. To me they can almost do no wrong. That said, I was wholly unimpressed. As a disclaimer I'll admit I'm not a fan of ginger, and DHS' primary accord was ginger-based. It is fairly light, strength-wise, and not particularly distinctive in any way. The ginger wasn't as abusive as, say, Bvlgari Blv, but it just as front-and-center. I didn't bother keeping tabs on its development beyond the opening notes. As another disclaimer I was in the process of skin-testing the absolutely transcendental Chanel No. 22 before I walked into Sephora, so almost anything will pale in comparison.

I'll give it another try when I don't have one of the greatest classics ever on my other wrist, but given the strong ginger accord I'm not too hopeful.

It was simply underwhelming. A strong citrus scent with hints of dior homme. I could not imagine an occasion where this would be My Scent. Seems like a marketing scent riding on DH:s name and fame. Even the bottle looked silly.

my impression: l'eau par kenzo with more zest and psychologically some original dior homme.

underwhelmed too.

perfect packaging for the concept but....the scent is to hackneyed.

smells good but i was expecting something more.
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Blog Entries

I tried it. For once we got something new around here before everybody else got it!!!

I liked it better than the original. But I agree that it's basically a very well-executed sport frag that pays a certain minimal homage to the original Homme. I did not walk out with a bottle. But I will probably buy a bottle of this before I get the original.

Love that marketing talk. Sounds like the perfect cologne for Speed Racer.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    haven't smelled it yet ... the description gets me really excited though ... with the race car talk and i ..... i know i know .... they've targeted my weakness .... CARS.
    No need to be gun-shy, everso. A lot of us have this weakness. I got passed on the 405 Freeway this afternoon by someone in a brand new bright green Porsche 911 GT3 RS, roaring along at over 100mph. The driver saw an opening in the traffic, dropped a gear, rev-matched, and just punched it. It was a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I liked it better than the original. But I agree that it's basically a very well-executed sport frag that pays a certain minimal homage to the original Homme. I did not walk out with a bottle. But I will probably buy a bottle of this before I get the original.
    I'm going to put my foot down on this one. Having been burned by the release of Tom Ford For Men Extreme so soon after the original Tom Ford For Men, I'm going to commit to finishing off my nearly full bottle of Dior Homme before thinking of buying this new juice. I'll sample it, but in any case it won't be a full bottle for a while yet. (I bought some Profumum Thundra today at The Scent Bar. Time to tone it down a bit. )
    Last edited by Astaroth; 8th September 2008 at 08:53 AM.

I just think Dior Homme(s) aren't for me. I've tried Dior Homme multiple times and the lipstick/makeup bag smell never leaves, even after drydown.

So in Sephora today I tried Sport. Instead of lipstick I smell "model glue" on the inital burst. I like it better than the original but it was still nothing special to me.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 8th September 2008 at 08:51 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    No need to be gun-shy, everso. A lot of us have this weakness. I got passed on the 405 Freeway this afternoon by someone in a brand new bright green Porsche 911 GT3 RS, roaring along at over 100mph. The driver saw an opening in the traffic, dropped a gear, rev-matched, and just punched it. It was a thing of beauty.
    NICE. it's rare to find such humbling experiences be so heavenly!

I just tried it this afternoon. I can't say that I don't like it. It has a very nice citrus opening, but it does get warmer. The ginger accord was spicy, and keeping to the "masculine floral" theme of DH it has the floral note of ginger as well, but not as bright as Bulgari Blu. As I kept sniffing it, I kept thinking it was...well...a bit irritating. It had a warm tonka like note at the base along side of the cedar. Just a tad odd.

I walked out of Sephora, and as I breathed in the fresh air I caught a sniff of the DH Sport, but somehow, it smelled BETTER! I couldn't understand it, but smelling it in the warm, humid air of that last torrential days of summer made it pleasing. Everything smelled balanced out, it defnitely smelled like clean rushing air, and a tad aquatic, but not like a body of water, but more like clean mist, not musty. So the reference to open air and automobiles sounds about right.

Not an instant buy, but I might get a bottle if I see it at a good price at an online discount site.

As for using the Dior Homme name, I expected a higher sophistication and edginess about it. Dior Sport would've sounded better.

OK, those are my thoughts, heh! :brolly:

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Somehow, designer citrus scents fail to impress me :/

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sur la Plage

They now have it in stock at Macy's.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

hey, this is not just a citrus frag. i cant stand lemony-simple citrus base in others fragances... this one is simply nice, a light citrus base with a strong ginger-semi woody-aquatic touch and share some original touch vs others new releases... anyway.. there will be many point of view with this..

i smelled it yesterday. eww.

I smelled this at Macy's.....I thought that it was nice.....Gary

I did the unthinkable and sniffed the atomizer

Yes, citrus, and actually, it could be ok on skin. However, I was too busy getting samples of Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte (because it's good) and Burburry London (because it might be the next SSD).

Dior Homme Sport sucks big time. All the things that made the original so special and wonderful have all been taken out and been replaced with "notes" that give the entire fragrance a generic "mens cologne vibe".
    Awesomeguy

Red face Re: OH LORDY!!! Dior Homme Sport now at Sephora!

My kids asked me what I wanted for father's day so I replied "Dior Homme". They came back with "Dior Homme Sport"... that was the newest one so they assumed it would be better than the old one! I'm confident they'll never see this post so I can share this with all the basenoters: "It's absolutely underwhelming".

Dior Homme Sport has not hit the Russian perfume stores yet. However, yesterday I bought a new issue of Men's Health magazine and was pleasantly surprised to find a tester of DHS inside. Today was the first time when i finally got a chance to smell my highly-anticipated fragrance. I found it wonderful. I do not understnad any of the posters here who bash this frag. To me this new frag is one of those that make your eyes close when you smell it. I will definitely be buying it when it finally becomes available. I've been waiting for a new dior cologne to appear for so long and my hopes have been justified. Dior has created yet another wonderful men's fragrance, although I agree that there is nothing special about it and there can be a lot of analogues found to pair with DHS. In spite of the fact that it's going to be released in Russia on the threshold of the cold season, i think that this new version of Dior Homme will be best for summer. It's so fresh and exquisite.
    Now i have two additions on my wish list - Dior Homme Sport and Guerlain Homme. Love them both. Cheers.

As a fan of the original - and particularly the Intense EdP - I'm sad to have to agree with the majority here. I tried it last week and found it perfectly uninteresting and unremarkable.

Granted, this was only a quick impression, and it may be a scent that becomes more pleasing with repeated wearings. But will it become more interesting...? That's where I have my doubts.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

I would recommend everyone not to associate the new cologine with the original, although its name is directly related to the iris perfection. Just think of it as something absolutely new from Dior. It has nothing to do with DH, just like Fahrenheit 32 has nothing to do with the original Fahrenheit. Two different frags that don't pair in their essense.

Tried Dior Homme Sport at Macy's today (I guess the Sephora exclusive is over then)... I like it a lot. The description in the notes pyramid is spot-on: fresh citrus top notes on a woody, somewhat sweet gingery base. Not revolutionary, but pleasant. And that's what sells.

Also sniffed the new Rocawear 9IX... not too bad for a first try in the fragrance world, and given the target audience.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Dior homme sport = Allure homme sport.

Even the packaging looks the same with the word "Sport" in Red. Dior must be copying Chanel seeing the success of Allure Sport - they citrinized the original. Spray both on your wrists and compare the drydown 30 mins later - they smell the same.

Blog Entries

believe it or not..i still can't really find it in NYC....it wasn't at Macys...and it wasn't at Sephora.

not really sure what's going on with that...unless it 'sold out'

Morning Star

I recently picked up a couple of samples of Dior Homme Sport at Sephora and gave it a try. I liked it, and it actually reminds me of something else that I have worn in the past, but cannot remember what. Truthfully, however, I like Dior Fahrenheit 32 much more than this new juice, and have been thinking of buying it for a while now. So this would be my next Dior purchase before springing for Dior Homme Sport. Probably for now, I will stick to my "ordinary" Dior Homme.

believe it or not..i still can't really find it in NYC....it wasn't at Macys...and it wasn't at Sephora.

That's strange - it's been at the Sephora in Chicago for awhile. The Macy's here got it a week ago and it looks like they are making an attempt to carry some of the older fragrances verus just the latest from each company - they had dior sport but they also added Farenheit; they also started carrying Armani pour homme - not just the new stuff;

Hmmm they have it in australia a few weeks ago and in USA they dont even have it ? Pretty weird
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I tried it in the Sephora on 5th Avenue and 49th St. yesterday and liked it very much. A purchase will come soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    I tried it in the Sephora on 5th Avenue and 49th St. yesterday and liked it very much. A purchase will come soon.
    i'm in west village right now...planning to go the union square sephora later to see if they have it.....unless it get distracted by the santa maria novella lafco shop i passed earlier this morning...MMMM
    Last edited by everso; 20th September 2008 at 06:41 PM.