Code of Conduct

Default How do you look at scent prices?

As I've started to find myself really getting interested in some scents with higher price points, I stopped looking at actual cost and began looking at per unit (i.e... $ per ml) cost. I'm now approaching it on two levels: I really don't want a large bottle of anything.. I'm accumulating too many things to ever use all of (I've only ever finished a couple bottles and those were before I started collecting), and I also try to assess the per ml cost of something as opposed to just cost of the whole thing.

Some examples:

Nasomatto Hindu Grass - $148/ 30ml bottle - $4.93 per ml.

Montale Black Aoud - $210/ 100ml bottle - $2.10 per ml.

Creed Imperial - (new price) $250/ 120ml bottle - $2.08 per ml.

Comme des Garçons Vettiveru - $55/ 125ml - $0.42 per ml.

Susanne Lang Tamboti Wood - $50/ 30ml - $1.67 per ml.

Chanel Allure Homme - $50/ 50ml - $1 per ml.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything.. just wondering what your thought process might be when you decide to make a purchase of something you really like. You can see some range from mainstream to niche and the overlap.

For me, if the price is low enough, I don't care (like $30 for 4ml of Nombre Noir.. worth a try ). Just curious.. does the price per ml factor into your thoughts when purchasing? People have been complaining a bit lately over cost increased due to the weak dollar, but many of those scents that are mentioned are still in line with others they share market with.

Maybe this is just my old econ major constantly rearing its boring ass head.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 7th September 2008 at 03:06 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Default Re: How do you look at scent prices?

The price per ml matters to me, especially when the store has both 3.4 and 1.7 versions. The price for ml is much lower for the former version. So I usually buy the bigger bottle.

I bought only a few niche perfumes, and I have to admit that I did not compare the price per ml among the niche scents. I was motivated by passion, not by the price...

Oftentimes I smell something in a store and like it so much that I never ask about the price. I simply say "Get me a big bottle of that" give them my money and happily leave the store.

Buying online I'm more concerned about prices.

For myself, I think in terms of cost per application. I figure that is about 1/3 ml per use.

When I think in those terms, most any fragrance that one LOVES is a bargain.

Basenotes Institution

Interesting question...I have to think about this...??
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Now I either get great deals (here or on eBay) or I swap. That keeps the cost down nice and low ! LOL.

Morning Star

I look at cost per expected hour of usage, so lower cost poor longevity fragrances (e.g. Ermenegildo Zegna, Armani, etc) end up having their effective cost raised (sometimes doubled or tripled). However, I still tend to buy smaller sizes, since my collection is getting larger now. I have also started viewing all of my fragrances as salable items, since I fully expect that there will be others that come down the road that I will want even more.

I have to admit that I've never really considered the cost while buying most perfumes that I own until now. If I liked it, I bought it... it's been like that for the longest.

Of late however I've decided to give decants a chance to check whether the perfume is full bottle worthy or not.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

sure I care but price of bottle I dont do math, I'm not paranoic

Astaroth bear in mind that double and triple raised costs perfumes are mostly EDP not EDT,

if some1 is collecting better to buy 50ml max, if not then biggest bottle, my friend got cK One 200ml for a 5-6 months of everyday spraying, then he buy other scent, Im not a collector either but I need to have 5-10 things to choose from
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I'm with LuciusVorenus - the price difference between a 50ml and 100ml is often only 15% or 20%, for 50% more of the fragrance. With other things as well, I'm interested in a lower cost per unit. From my perspective, whether I use it all, give half of it away, trade it, sell it... the value is simply better with the bigger bottle.

I'd look at the price point and think - how many more humble, $25-50 bottles could I try and enjoy at the same price?

That having been said, in my other thread about the 'high end', there are assuredly some benefits to the particularly high-end, enticing fragrances. I have some top-shelf bottles of wine that may not really be 5x or 10x as good as the 'ordinary' bottles, but they ARE very good, much better to be certain, and the added onus of being a "very special bottle" adds to the occasion to enjoy it. The same could surely be said of some of the nice fragrances you mentioned above.

I really don't like to go over $2/ml and usually don't. I really wanted Gris Clair but I waited until I found a sale and got it for about that amount. If the US economy continues to tank though, I'll probably raise my price limit a bit. I buy lots and lots of samples, so when I decide something is FBW for me, I get a 100 ml bottle if one is available. That really helps in keeping the price per ml down.

Interesting question...I always buy the biggest bottle....maximun 60-65 usd each....

My brother say to me....but little ones, you can change faster, but I never do that....is awful business....
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My tastes are ever evolving. Cost at one time, signified "better", but then I learned, at least for me that cost does not really enter into the question, "do I like it?" I like some of the Cr---d's, at what I think is a high price point and I like Caron PuH at a much lower price point. I am not a believer that price plays a big part of "quality" and I identify quality simply, "What do I like". Make any sense?
    Last edited by richard d; 7th September 2008 at 04:37 PM.

It depends. I rarely go into department stores and simply buy the fragrance. They work on commission and would easily persuade you into buying something that's not worth your time. I try to get samples, then buy the mini (should I like it but not too much) or order it online somewhere (maybe ebay or here)

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by yrk View Post
    Astaroth bear in mind that double and triple raised costs perfumes are mostly EDP not EDT
    That's all taken into account when I say "cost per expected hour of usage". Basically, my idea is to look at how expensive it is to enjoy the fragrance for a typical hour. An EDP will usually last much longer and require less application than an EDT. Of course, this means I have to sample everything before buying, which is always a good idea anyway.

I forgot to mention that I rarely use an entire bottle to the end. I have too many . You could always buy a decent which is cheaper (in total) but more expensive (per mL)

I'm avid to discover new things but don't want to go for bottles anymore as I rarely wear them. A sample is enough to go back to it sometimes or a decant when I've got friends willing to share.

I sometimes put the full price for a fragrance I wear on a regular basis (Guerlain or Villoresi) but I always try to find it onto Ebay first.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I typically buy the full bottle if the cost difference is minimal with the intent of trading or decanting in the future

I am attempting to change my ways somewhat. I have purchased my most recents from the company direct (?) Caron in NY. I like to think I am helping out the company directly and putting money in the pockets of the employees that work so hard to earn livings and to support the emplyer. BUT this may be reevaluated depending on services rendered which at this second is "iffy". (will report more later)