Code of Conduct

Default How do you know when a fragrance doesn't go with your skin chemistry?

Let me preface this by saying I do not have the best nose, so it's very possible I'm just missing obvious things.

How do you guys know when you can't wear something because it smells weird on your skin specifically, as opposed to just being a fragrance you dislike? I ask because I have yet to encounter a situation where I said to myself, "Wow, my skin did something awful to this scent!" and I've sampled 40-50 fragrances so far.

Default Re: How do you know when a fragrance doesn't go with your skin chemistry?

Over time, and after doing a lot of sampling and reading, I came to be much better at identifying notes. I've also become more sensitive, so that I don't need to spray much. Now, one or two, rather than three or more sprays is usual for me.

About "skin chemistry:" I've been working with an older female relative on this. My skin seems to be very good for fragrances. It holds them "true" for long periods of time. I think the middle notes are more prominent than they are for most people. My relative doesn't seem to sweat much, and lives in an apartment that has central A/C, but it seems that her skin "eats up" the fragrance, and it doesn't stay true at all (or last as long). Instead, it seems to get weakened and mix with something else, producing a different smell.

As far as making a fragrance "skunky," I can imagine that might happen if the person is eating a lot of junk food, spicy food, food rich in garlic, etc.

Default Re: How do you know when a fragrance doesn't go with your skin chemistry?

Obviously you need a third opinion. Keep in mind that. Some fragrances do not smell the same when you have your nose just above your skin than when standing 3 feet away. What somebody else is smelling may not be the same than what you may be getting.

Wear the fragrance. Ask somebody else to wear it. Ask a third person who smells the best of you two. Read basenotes reviews. Does the fragrance smell different when you sweat than when you do not? Does it smell bad on a paper strip? On your clothes the next day? Ask somebody else to smell you at the drydown.

I loved Ungaro III.People loved it on me for the first 6 hours. But later on it was not as pleasing as before and it started to smell like gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaia View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I do not have the best nose, so it's very possible I'm just missing obvious things.

How do you guys know when you can't wear something because it smells weird on your skin specifically, as opposed to just being a fragrance you dislike? I ask because I have yet to encounter a situation where I said to myself, "Wow, my skin did something awful to this scent!" and I've sampled 40-50 fragrances so far.
    Quick answer: wear it and smell it.

While skin chemistry does have an effect (usually very subtle) on a perfume, I really don't think it effects a fragrance as much as the comments here on basenotes would have you believe. I think the term "does not go with my skin chemistry" is often used as a reason for not liking a particular fragrance; nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by surreality; 7th September 2008 at 11:21 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    As far as making a fragrance "skunky," I can imagine that might happen if the person is eating a lot of junk food, spicy food, food rich in garlic, etc.
    This phenomena isn't really skin "chemistry".
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I think soaps and the chemicals left from them, including various scents, play MUCH more of a role than any PH related 'skin chemistry.' After switching to unscented dove bar soap, all of my frags last longer and stay far truer (whereas with other soaps many frags felt muted or muffled - like listening to a set of speakers with a blanket over them.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I have a colleague that perfumes always smell bad on.
    Any time I spray one on her, it turns into a "sour" smell, and will not resemble the fragrance at all.
    I've also had one time where I've sprayed a perfume onto a customer and it's smelled absolutely vile on them. Just didn't agree with her chemistry. The only way to stop "the change" seems to be to put the matching body lotion on first.

Thanks for your responses! I appreciate them.