Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Orange blosson/fleurs d'orange

I'd like to buy a bottle of scent with this as the main or only note. Is there a consensus on the better fleurs d'orange frags? Ones that are disliked? I *almost* bought a full bottle of the L'Artisan 2007 version on eBay this afternoon but chickened out at the last minute because I've never tried it and don't like buying blind. What are opinions on the Mazzolari and Lutens versions? Jo Malone (I think she has one...)? Anything mainstream or classic that's well thought of or that you think I might like?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Orange blosson/fleurs d'orange

From so many orange blossoms (I even know somebody who sprays Asquith & Somerset Orange Blossom Room Spray with abandon on themselves ) you are probably going to choose between Serge Lutens and L'Artisan. My personal choice is the latter, 2005 version. The truest to life, lightest, brightest and happiest smell there is (around 300 dollars a bottle if new, minus a discount for being a Basenoter which basically pays the sales tax!).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an expert on orange blossoms, but Jo Malone's does seem very pleasant to me and comes across as a soliflore.

I was recently pleasantly surprised by Fragonard Fleur D'Oranger. It probably wouldn't stand up to L'Artisan, but I thought it was quite nicely done, plus it's a lot less expensive.

Anyhow, it will be good to hear from the orange blossom fans on their favorites.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Off-Scenter

Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger is a sumptuous, indolic orange blossom of tremendous depth and lasting power.

Post Thanks / Like

The L'Artisan limited edition one is lovely, but to my nose the Jo Malone is pretty comparable - and infinitely cheaper. Then I saw that Luca Turin points out the similarity between these two in The Guide so it would be worth giving the JM a spin. Ever so slightly soapy, but not excessively so.

Fleurs d'Oranger from L'Artisan Parfumeur is the nicest.
    My second pick would be L'Eau des Cinq Mondes which is nearly as nice but at a reasonable price.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Post Thanks / Like

Must agree with Twolf and Night...L'artisan's is the best I've smelled, but also ridiculously expensive! Check into The Perfumed Court and see if you can get a small amount to try!

The neroli note is quite prominent to me in Love by By Kilian, worth getting a sample (available from LuckyScent).

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Orange blossom/fleurs d'orange

Some BN threads that might prove helpful:

Orange flower (Oct 2007)

Best OB (July 2008)

Orange blossom scent (Aug 2008)

This coming weekend I'm looking forward to sampling Annick Goutal's neroli. Will report all next week.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for those links, Quarry.

Also, Twolf - where do you get a discount for being a Basenoter?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Post Thanks / Like

You've got a PM!

I haven't tried the 2007 L'Artisan but I wore the 2005 at my wedding and love it. But it is expensive for such a simple fragrance. I used to have a small sample bottle of Jo Malone, and I never really liked it that much. It's pretty, but to me it feels like a flat, cartoon version of a flower. But it's definitely worth checking out as it's so much more reasonably priced.

I don't know if they still have it, but L'Occitane made an orange blossom room spray that was also pretty. If you want something a bit more complex than a soliflore, I also recommend 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate, the orange blossom in that is lovely.

I have a small bottle of the Jo Malone, and I think it's pretty, but the L'Artisan i s amazingly beautiful! I didn't like the Lutens - maybe too indolic?

Post Thanks / Like

My personal favourite is Fragonard's Fleur d'Oranger.
    It has a slight addition of musk that lifts it out of the
    ordinary.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is the Jo Malone, because it's so bright, and so "California summer". I love L'Artisan (the lasting power is outstanding, too) but I won't pay that much for a fragrance. I love the Fragonard as well. Fragonard smells like "Florida springtime" to me. It's more honeyed than the JM, which is sparkling and citrusy sweet.

Inspired by our last thread on orange blossom, I tried Armani Code. I really, really liked it and wound up purchasing a bottle! It's a warm, honey-sweet, yet realistic orange blossom that has an Oriental feel. It's perfect as a cool weather orange blossom and the lasting power is very good. I have to spray it lightly or it smells like pear hand soap. But a little spritz makes a beautiful fragrance for me. The bottle is lovely as well. This is one of the few fragrances I've found that has a "true" orange blossom note. (The others are Jo Malone, L'Artisan, and Fragonard.)

I like the SL Fleurs d'Oranger, but it takes awhile to be orange blossom on me. It's a heady white floral with spices. The orange blossom note is very pure, but it's part of a white flower blend. Mazzolari Zagara's orange blossom note reminded me of Narcisse Noir...slightly bitter, slightly dark. It didn't really smell like the flower, to me, but rather an interpretation of the flower. I haven't yet tried Mazzolari Fleurs d'Oranger, but I will soon. La Chasse aux Papillons has a beautiful orange blossom note, as does L'ete en douce. Tocca Stella is quite nice. Profumi di Pantellaria Aire smells like a cool orange blossom breeze.
    Last edited by Tovah; 10th September 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    I haven't tried the 2007 L'Artisan but I wore the 2005 at my wedding and love it.
    I'm jealous. That fragrance is SO perfect for a wedding! You must have been breathtaking.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a cheaper alternative try to find the orange flower perfume at the nearest Zara. It's really surprising how decent it is for the price and the location It's not as good as some of the niche offerings but for that price it's very tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I need to try the JM and the L'Artisan (has anyone tried both the 2005 and 2007? I there *really* an appreciable difference?) and the Fragonard.

Is the 2005 L'Artisan available anywhere in full version anymore? If I like it enough, I'm considering splurging.

Also, we are Zara-less here in Canada but I could have a UK friend send a sample, thanks Lian!

I retried a sample of Eau de Naphe yesterday which Coconut had kindly sent me, and it reminded me instantly of SL Fleurs d'Oranger, with a bit more musk perhaps. Notes I can find for it include orange, bergamot, jasmine, orange blossom, ylang ylang, white musk and cedar.