Code of Conduct

Default What house has the WORST website?

Have you ever gone to a house website trying to look up information about a fragrance and find it utterly frustrating?

I am interested in hearing about house websites (niche or designer are fine) where you you can't find information, or the information content is lacking or the website is riddled with bugs, or it is very cumbersome to navigate (or other problems for that matter).

I am not interested in hearing about retail distributors in this thread.

My most recent frustration was with the Boucheron website (English version). It was very flaky and ultimately while I could find the fragrances, I could learn absolutely nothing about them!

Default Re: What house has the WORST website?

The worst and most boring websites without a doubt:
    Lorenzo Villoresi: http://www.montaleparfums.com/accueilA.htm
    Montale: http://www.montaleparfums.com/accueilA.htm

I guess the fact that they only spent about ten minutes developing this site only adds to its mystique: Elsha "1776"
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

So funny! I was there (Bouucheron website) the other day and I wholeheartedly agree, it is HIDEOUS to the point of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Have you ever gone to a house website trying to look up information about a fragrance and find it utterly frustrating?

I am interested in hearing about house websites (niche or designer are fine) where you you can't find information, or the information content is lacking or the website is riddled with bugs, or it is very cumbersome to navigate (or other problems for that matter).

I am not interested in hearing about retail distributors in this thread.

My most recent frustration was with the Boucheron website (English version). It was very flaky and ultimately while I could find the fragrances, I could learn absolutely nothing about them!
    I love Jasmine.

How about Diptyque, which has been telling users to "Come Back Soon and Visit Our New Website" for at least eight months?

L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I haven't been to many web sites, but Dunhill is one of those. They don't list what they have, but just the latest scent. Maybe I am wrong?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I was frustrated about the website of Hermes much more than about Montale which I also agree not to be a good one.
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I found this one pretty ok lately. Could find everything I wanted to know about them and their fragrances. Just curious what was frustrating for you there?
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/

Check Nina Ricci....I wanted to buy Signoricci (the new bottle)....but now.....

http://www.ninaricci.com/
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I guess the fact that they only spent about ten minutes developing this site only adds to its mystique: Elsha "1776"
    this one wins -- hands down. Geocities

I have to also nominate Montale...for the prices they charge, the website ought to be kick ass.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

It seems to me that this thread concerns at least three kinds of bad sites:

1) Ugly/primative, but entirely serviceable (e.g. Elsha)
    2) Completely devoid of content or information (e.g. Diptyque)
    3) Senselessly complicated and difficult to navigate, with much less information than one would hope (e.g. Montale)

To me the worst genre is #2. The Elsha website, while hideous, contains all the info I'd need. The Montale website is incredibly annoying, seems to be more concerned with chrome than with info, and leaves out crucial information (samples?). But the Diptyque website simply contains no information whatsoever.

I have another couple nominees that are bad for different reasons...

Parfumerie Generale: minimal English, the site keeps switching to French, tiny print, minimal descriptions, plus 'password only' section of the website

Frederic Malle - Difficult to navigate, also keeps switching to French pages

Escentric Molecules Fancy Flash site provides minimal information

Yeah, I thought Montale was pretty dull, but when I e-mailed them from their site, they were VERY helpful. Quick replies and they sent me 12 sample vials to Boston from Paris for just 10 euros which I received in less than one week......now thats what I call good customer service. Lucky Scents is charging $3 each!

J

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I laughed out loud when i opened this website...really cheesy!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Blog Entries

Damien Bash. You might as well go grab a cup of coffee after you click on something instead of waiting for those stupid lines to go away.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by AromaX View Post
    I was frustrated about the website of Hermes much more than about Montale which I also agree not to be a good one.
    I thought Hermes' online boutique section was very straight forward. Their company website is a little difficult to navigate. It's nice if you want to just poke around aimlessly but a little complicated when looking for something specific.

Oh I agree on the Boucheron website - it's SO terrible. I get really annoyed at a lot of these websites for high end designer lines (clothing, perfumes, jewels etc.) that are just a mess of Flash intros (WHO watches these?), music you can't figure out how to turn off, overly complicated graphics etc. Ugh. And the worst part is knowing they probably paid a lot to have someone design them like that.

The Chanel website is particularly awful. Sometimes I wonder if it's deliberate - some attempt to maintain a whiff of 'exclusivity' online?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Oh I agree on the Boucheron website - it's SO terrible. I get really annoyed at a lot of these websites for high end designer lines (clothing, perfumes, jewels etc.) that are just a mess of Flash intros (WHO watches these?), music you can't figure out how to turn off, overly complicated graphics etc. Ugh. And the worst part is knowing they probably paid a lot to have someone design them like that.

The Chanel website is particularly awful. Sometimes I wonder if it's deliberate - some attempt to maintain a whiff of 'exclusivity' online?
    Well put about the mess of flash intros. I HATE those. At home, I do not currently have high speed internet, so it makes such sites totally impractical to use. And even if I had high speed, they are just "noise" to me.

Bond no. 9

A website entirely in Flash is a terrible idea. It loads like molasses. Information is missing in the data boxes,

They're redesigning but that was two months ago.

The worst is Calvin Klein. The fragrance part of the site shows a picture of the bottle and the advertising. No information at all. Absolutely awful.

Next on the list would be Montale (for reasons previously mentioned by other posters) and Bond No 9, whose site looks good but is cumbersome to use.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

This MAY be it... I mean, understandably so, since you can't smell the fragrances unless you visit the boutique in Paris or Bergdorf Goodman in NYC, but still... check this out...

JAR PERFUME'S WEBSITE...
    http://www.jar-parfums.fr/

Mazzolari....still 'under construction after 2 years'.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.