Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default A Writer's Life - My Bond Press Kit Arrives

Myself and Elena Cattafi from Bond No. 9 have been in rather close contact over the past week and I suddenly find myself on their press list, and their press kit for Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue arrived safe and sound this morning. I was stunned at the presentation and how generous they were with the samples (each one is 2mL, they sell a very similar kit on their website for like 50 bucks!)

Here's the entirety of what they sent me.

Nice little handwritten note from Elena, and plenty of reviewing material.

Lexington Avenue, the third Andy Warhol collaboration. It looks tasty right? Bond No. 9 calls them bon-bons, little 1.7mL wrapped vials.

A very nice Bond No. 9 folder with the press info inside.

Very cool. Hard to show but this was a very nice parchment paper.

Artwork at high-resolution and press info, and note pyramids, for Lexington Avenue, along with Riverside Drive and Wall Street (which I'd told Elena I had an interest in).

All the artwork.

So, with all that I think it's a safe bet there will be a little Bond No. 9 marathon on the blog, which should include reviews of...

Central Park
    Wall Street
    New Haarlem
    Gramercy Park
    Riverside Drive
    Hamptons
    Bleecker Street
    Coney Island
    Saks Fifth Avenue For Him
    Chez Bond
    Great Jones
    Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    H.O.T. Always

And, of course...

Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue

I'm fully aware of the reason they're sending me the stuff; if one person reads my reviews and makes a purchase their investment in me was well-placed, but it's still a nice little confidence booster and gives me a little extra drive in writing.

I'm sure I'm gonna find some new favorites out of this stuff and I hope I can shed some light for others too.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 9th September 2008 at 06:44 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Writer's Life - My Bond Press Kit Arrives

Awesome! I'm getting into Bonds right now, so I'll be watching eagerly for your reviews. That press kit looks really impressive. I bought two bottles, and they sent me a thank-you note, so they do appear to be both media- and customer-savvy.

Don't discount the influence of bloggers and other smaller reviewers. At one time they were a novelty, but now they're a standard target for smart marketing. Bloggers have readers and readers are buyers. You're right - you sell me on one more Bond and they've made money on your press kit. And for every Basenoter that you sell on a Bond, there could be several more Base-lurkers and Googlers who drop money in Saks. But just stay honest and don't sell out on what you write, and you'll be respected by both sides - sellers and potential buyers.

Very cool!

Wow! can't wait for your reviews.

Wonderful!

Looking forward to your reviews on these

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Morning Star

This is a cool little kit. I came close to buying Andy Warhol Silver Factory during my last visit to Saks Fifth Avenue. I think it's probably one of the best Bond No. 9's out there, but I'll need to eventually justify the hefty price differential between this and two other incense masterpieces, Comme des Garçons Incense: Avignon and Kyoto.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 10th September 2008 at 10:31 AM.

very cool - thanks for posting the artwork, neat to see this.
    Will definitely be exploring your blog, and pass it on to some of my friends.
    Cheers!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    But just stay honest and don't sell out on what you write, and you'll be respected by both sides - sellers and potential buyers.
    I suppose that's what it comes down to for me. The whole premise of my writing has been that I'll give the nod to popular opinion, then tell you what I really think of it. It may sound like a non-issue but it's really rather difficult to speak disparagingly about a fragrance when the house was so generous in providing the materials. But at the heart of things it's mainly a question of ethics and when it comes down to that, I don't compromise. So I'll try not to suck up to Bond too much.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Wow! I always wondered what "press kits" are all about- now I know. Looking forward to the reviews (been enjoying yr. blog for a while now).
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

I do look forward to reading your reviews. My experience with Bond No. 9 is that they are very aggressive marketers. I made one purchase at the store over a year ago. Since then, I regularly receive samples in the mail (not complaining) and phone messages on my answering machine (am complaining). You received a lavish package, but expect a friend for life!

Very much looking forward to your reviews. And a wee bit jealous too

If you want to say something hateful - send the offending item to me and I can do it for you!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I do look forward to reading your reviews. My experience with Bond No. 9 is that they are very aggressive marketers. I made one purchase at the store over a year ago. Since then, I regularly receive samples in the mail (not complaining) and phone messages on my answering machine (am complaining). You received a lavish package, but expect a friend for life!
    Haha, oh dear. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the kind words, guys and girls. It really does do wonders for my motivation.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp