Code of Conduct

Default When Testing Fragrances in a Perfume Shop, how many do you usually

What is the optimum number. in your opinion and where on the hands (wrist, elbow arm?) do you spray so as not to affect other scents? any tips on how to remember what you sprayed where!
    Last edited by afraafra; 9th September 2008 at 07:49 AM.

Default Re: When Testing Fragrances in a Perfume Shop, how many do you usually

two is what works best for me, my nose is not educated to handle more, if i do I get confused and I cannot register the notes in my brain.

Morning Star

When I test, I write the name of the fragrance on the back of the smelling strip, and leave it face-up on the counter. When I can no longer distinguish a random fragrance by smelling the top of its strip, I judge that nose fatigue has finally set in. I can usually get through anywhere between 10 and 20 before I become ineffective at differentiating them, depending upon how different the fragrances are and also how much I enjoy them. The few that find their way onto my arms are always easy to differentiate, since only the ones I really like end up there.

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    What is the optimum number. in your opinion and where on the hands (wrist, elbow arm?) do you spray so as not to affect other scents? any tips on how to remember what you sprayed where!
    I normally try four scents. One on each wrist, one in each crook of the arm. And normally I can remeber what I sprayed where.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    I normally try four scents. One on each wrist, one in each crook of the arm. And normally I can remeber what I sprayed where.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Here is what I do..and places like Ulta are best places to do this because of their large testing cards. I take a handful of those cards and just wander. I spray on the cards and write the name down on it. I lay them on one of the top shelves. I will do anywhere from 3-8.....depends on when I did testing last. I try not to take but a small sample of the initial burst so I don't get fatigue. Then I smell. Usually out of those cards I will chose 1 or 2 to put on my skin to leave the store wearing. All the cards come with me and are laid out in my car seat so as not to mingle. I then will go back to them later in the day.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 9th September 2008 at 01:58 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Thumbs up Re: When Testing Fragrances in a Perfume Shop, how many do you usually

Only three. Even after sniffing coffe for cleaning the nose i do not feel any smell

Usually only four; but I already usually have four scents in mind that I wan to try when I go into a perfume shop. I rarely wander about looking for new scents to sniff, because then I get drunk with power and start smelling everything. That can be quite obnoxious for me and the SA.

Blog Entries

I don't test in a store. I'll sniff the paper strips/cards and get samples to take home. Testing at the store and buying on that alone has proven to be a mistake for me.

No samples? No business from me.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Usually 5 or six and I took a tip from Perfume Posse and just write on the spot if I like it.

4, on the backs of my hands and on the inside of the elbow (what's that part called? I call it the "crease" of my arm) Anyway, that way the frags are far enough away from each other for me to differentiate. If I had more arms I'd test more!

I do about 4 (if they've ever got enough of the most recent releases in), two on the wrist, and two on the inner elbow. I used to spray on strips but it doesn't seem to show the true scent on paper and really needs to be on skin to get the most accurate smell for me. This is obviously harder as, unless you have a pen to write all over your arm they're hard to remember.
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    Usually 5 or six and I took a tip from Perfume Posse and just write on the spot if I like it.
    I usually have a legal pad with me. I also take notes as the fragrances evolve since, aside from 2 or 3 samples and a single purchase I might take away from the store, that is usually the only thing I have left to remember all the fragrances I tested. There have been a few SAs who get annoyed at this, figuring that I am just doing research and don't intend to buy anything. But most get over it, particularly if I have ever made a purchase from them.

I've tried to do a lot, 5 or more, at one time, but the problem is that you then tend to smell the area up close (such as on the arm), and so you don't get the same effect that you would if you wore it "normally." Instead, if you spray once with different frags on each side of your arms, you can use your hand to move air and create wafts of one of them only, unless the one on the other side of that arm has monster sillage. That's what I've done recently when visiting the frag stores.

Only when I am doing it seriously I have a rather complicated procedure:

- limit the sampling to 4 at the most ( two or three only would be better)
    - if possible, sample the lighter ones first because the heavier ones might kill the others (I usually have a good Iidea what to ask for before I enter the store).
    - I hate paper strips. In a good shop I ask for tissues to be sprayed. For other shops I bring them along.
    - Based on first impressions I ask my 1st and 2nd choice to be sprayed on the outer wrist s. That makes it easier to keep sniffing later, and I believe that the small hairs warrant better longevity.
    - And I have the assistant give my (new) handkerchief an extra spritz of No.1
    - I then take a coffee some place where I can sit and take notes. That should be at a time when top notes are gone. I don't want those to influence my decision, because it's after those what a fragrance is really like for the rest of its time.

What follows then may sound a little crazy, but believe me it's worth the extra trouble: Tissues and hanky go in a separate little plastic bag to conserve the perfume better. Back home I store these in separate jars with a screw-on-lid. That allows me to go back to the samples for at least 24 hours (it's usually days) and still get 90% of the perfume up my nostrils, everything at once including top notes preserved in my hanky (the Monclin effect) .
    Last edited by narcus; 10th September 2008 at 02:29 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    What follows then may sound a little crazy, but believe me it's worth the extra trouble: Tissues and hanky go in a separate little plastic bag to conserve the perfume better. Back home I store these in separate jars with a screw-on-lid. That allows me to go back to the samples for at least 24 hours (it's usually days) and still get 90% of the perfume up my nostrils, everything at once including top notes (the Monclin effect).
    This is actually a good idea, and I might try it with some small sealed bottles. I've actually thought of storing my fragrances like this, but can't really allocate the refrigerator space to several dozen Mason jars. I still might try it with the items I value the most.

Handkerchiefs are very cheap, so that's an excellent idea, that is, get a half dozen or so of them and spray each one with a different frag, then ball it up and put it in a zip lock plastic bag.

I never put these hankies or paper tissues in the fridge. My place has little above T-shirt temparature. I recommend (marmelade :-) jars because what you sniff is a glass full of fragrance, no longer the scented fabric. That's why a little space is needed. A Burgundy glass would be fine also. i really recommend what Turin and others wrote about the Monclin, a special of the Patou (?) boutique in Paris.

(btw: this was how I found out that there is something strange about perfumes from The Different Company. I get a bit of a pepper-and-mold mix from all of them, not only Rose Poivrée. After 48 hours this becomes the predominant note. Eau de Soi from R&G turns off in a similar way. But not to worry anybody. Who wants to smell their perfumes from a glass, and after two days...!
    Last edited by narcus; 30th October 2008 at 08:58 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    I don't test in a store. I'll sniff the paper strips/cards and get samples to take home. Testing at the store and buying on that alone has proven to be a mistake for me.

No samples? No business from me.
    It's a nice principle, alas, it doesn't work in my case. The only shop in my town where quality scents can be bought is Douglas, and they don't give you samples, just when you buy something.
    So I must try on my hand and paper-strip. On hand four is the maximum, and I can remember these. But might try much more on paperstrips, upon which I of course write the name.