Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Chergui

I think I just bought the last bottle of Chergui from Barneys. I just called them this morning and asked if they had any more and the sales lady made a few calls at some other stores and stated that they were sold out. But then she called me back an hour later and stated they found one bottle in a warehouse. I am pretty excited about this. I have had a sample in my drawer for such a long time but just pulled it out to try it and damn it is good. Great timing on the buy!!!

Default Re: Serge Lutens Chergui

Indeed it is. Congratulations!

Chergui is pretty close to be my "holy grail".

I bet you did! I called nearly every Barney's until I spoke with the SL rep at the LV Barney's and she said I got the 3rd from last export bottle. It's one of my, and my girlfriend's, favorites. Congrats!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

That kind of makes me sad :-(, I wanted a bottle as well...but I am happy for you! Good catch!

I wanted to nab a bottle too sometime last month but the SA told me they were out. They were hardcore pushing Malle's line and I really wasn't too keen on getting any other fragrance.

Cairo, have you recieved your bottle of that new Amouage release you mentioned in another thread? I've been keeping an eye out for a thread on some reviews of it.

I love Chergui.
    When first sprayed there's a fresh, "figgy"topnote in it that I like.Very green, sharp, like a fig note. There's no fignote in it, so I guess that's the hay note, some reviews speak about.

chkout Nthny's review in the frag review section. he is spot on.

i love Chergui btw...two sprays is far more than enuff..anythign more gets cloying easy on the trigger i say

Congratulations!

Chergui is a wonderful fragrance, and is now only Bell Jar. I did a bottle split with Asha of an export bottle. Really nice scent.

===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Congrats..Got mines last year..its really a remarkable fragrance.

Thanks guys. Yeah I am really excited about it. It is such an amazing scent and it lasts forever on my skin. Great for the upcoming fall and winter season coming.

Hi Jaba. I haven't received it yet. They stated that they shipped the Amouage Lyric last friday and stated it takes 7-10 business days to arrive here so once i receive it, I will post a review. I cant wait for that one too!!

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I think I just bought the last bottle of Chergui from Barneys. I just called them this morning and asked if they had any more and the sales lady made a few calls at some other stores and stated that they were sold out. But then she called me back an hour later and stated they found one bottle in a warehouse. I am pretty excited about this. I have had a sample in my drawer for such a long time but just pulled it out to try it and damn it is good. Great timing on the buy!!!
    I ordered mine from The Perfume Shoppe in Canada http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/scri...?idProduct=398 ,
    and, as far as I know, they have a decent supply of Chergui.

A bottle is $120.00 Canadian dollars. The shipping to Pennsylvania was $15.00 (also Canadian)

Hope this helps someone,

Bob
    Last edited by serph; 2nd July 2009 at 07:44 PM.

I think it's back at Barneys as well. I know ScentBar has it; you just can't order it online, you have to call.

Quote Originally Posted by serph View Post
    I ordered mine from The Perfume Shoppe in Canada http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/scri...?idProduct=398 ,
    and, as far as I know, they have a decent supply of Chergui.

A bottle is $120.00 Canadian dollars. The shipping to Pennsylvania was $15.00 (also Canadian)

Hope this helps someone,

Bob
    This thread is rather old - at the time of its posting, Chergui was not in the export line and was their seasonal "featured" non-export. Since then, it's been added to the export line, so it's much easier to find. I think most stockists that carry SL now offer Chergui as well.
    Just wanted to add my two cents.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I just wanted to say that I am trying Chergui right now for the first time and it is NOT what I was expecting. I was expecting some super sweet ambery sillage bomb. WRONG. This is tobacco-y and green with mentholated top notes and rather quiet as well. Wow, this might be the farthest from my expectations I have ever encountered.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I just wanted to say that I am trying Chergui right now for the first time and it is NOT what I was expecting. I was expecting some super sweet ambery sillage bomb. WRONG. This is tobacco-y and green with mentholated top notes and rather quiet as well. Wow, this might be the farthest from my expectations I have ever encountered.
    Chergui is a bit of a surprise hit to me. I find it an odd scent, and the variety of basenoters who are fans was unexpected. The notes (and the reality) and the impression I get from the boards don't jive.

I'm really not sure about honey notes, so that might be what throws me with this one.

I love Chergui and its oriental-esque melange of hay absolute, tobacco, honey, and all things sweet and resinous. I also second buying it from The Perfume Shoppe. (that's where I got my bottle as well) Since then, Chergui has become pretty easy to purchase. Let's hope the same applies for MKK in a few month's time.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    Chergui is a bit of a surprise hit to me. I find it an odd scent, and the variety of basenoters who are fans was unexpected. The notes (and the reality) and the impression I get from the boards don't jive.

I'm really not sure about honey notes, so that might be what throws me with this one.
    I know I was underwhelmed by it - nothing I felt I needed to purchase.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I was looking forward to trying this for a long time and when I did, I was underwhelmed too.
    I was hoping for a true "desert wind" scent but this is too sweet and resinous. It's a great scent but I wasn't compelled to make a purchase.
    I felt the same thing about PG's Harmatan Noir, which is too fresh, green, and light.
    The truest desert wind/air scent to my nose is Tauer's L'Air, which I own a bottle of.

But am I the only one that gets mint or something mentholated from Chergui, I don't see anything listed in the notes that represents that sensation that I am getting.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

It's all about the Honey, Hay and Leather for me -- one of my favorite fragrances from my wardrobe. I have the green juice, btw.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sorry, I should have looked more carefully. Thanks for letting me know. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    It's all about the Honey, Hay and Leather for me -- one of my favorite fragrances from my wardrobe. I have the green juice, btw.
    Is there a difference between the green and the darker brown version? I have the latter and it seems to be on point with other reviews. Is the green one a newer version? A reformulation? Anyone with both who could do a side-by-side?

I know sometimes essential oils and aromachemicals can vary in color from batch to batch so maybe that's it? Green and brown seems like quite a drastic difference in color though.

I don't recall all the details but the scent (I believe) is unchanged, just its appearance. If I remember correctly it was changed so that all of the actual juice itself was the same color (green, I think.)
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Is there a difference between the green and the darker brown version? I have the latter and it seems to be on point with other reviews. Is the green one a newer version? A reformulation? Anyone with both who could do a side-by-side?

I know sometimes essential oils and aromachemicals can vary in color from batch to batch so maybe that's it? Green and brown seems like quite a drastic difference in color though.
    The original release of Chergui was brown in color, but it was later changed to green due to some concerns among buyers about the brown juice changing in color to a tinge of green while in the bottle. Recently though they went back to the original color : brown.

I believe a bunch of basenoters believe that the newer versions of Chergui have indeed been reformulated as they had previously owned the original brown juice and the later green and reissued brown juices seem watered down.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Yeah I had samples of both the "original brown" and the "new green" and both are slightly different. The original brown was thicker and more concentrated, with more of syrupy feel, while the newer green was thinner, less concentrated and had a bigger dose of coumarin (so it smelled more like dry hay). I like the newer green one better.

I recently bought a 4ml decant of Chergui. I don't smell the tobacco, or the honey. My juice is brown. It is pleasant, but the only thing I can discern is something similar to Douce Amere on the top notes, which I prefer, although I did not find any similarities on the published notes. I gave it another go last night. It is cozy and warm, but it did not wow me.

I need to try it again.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    It is cozy and warm, but it did not wow me.
    That's exactly what I thought about Chergui. It's a nice scent, and I can see why it has so many admirers, but I couldn't see myself wearing it. It might be nice to smell on a girl though.