Code of Conduct

Default My Life in fragrance

Hi to all - I just joined recently but have been using the Basenotes reviews for over a year.

I turned 40 this year and would like to think that my fragrance choice has matured with my age....

15-21 years - my first frag was Roger & Gallet L'Homme, Devin, Quorum, Armani For Men, Azarro - a lot of these were hand me downs.

21 - 25 the Body Shop phase - mainly the perfume oils and Activist. Floris Elite, Fendi Uomo

25 - 32 Still doing the Body Shop thing, Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Sandalwood, Armand Basi Homme - got married at 32 - the wife got me my next batch of frags (which I wasnt very keen on) - Obsession for Men - binned it very quickly, 212 - kept it for a bit and then got rid, and Opium - kept it for a bit longer, and again it had to go.

32 - 37 The Czech & Speake phase (more disposable income) - No.88, Frankincense & Myrrh, Neroli, Oxford & Cambrdige, Cuba - I was spoilt from this time - I couldnt wear anything other than C&S

37 - 40 - (less disposable income and 3 kids later) - C&S Dark Rose (Bring it back!!), Jo Malone - Black Vetiver Cafe & Pomegranite Noir, Armand Basi Homme, Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad, Penhaligons Blenhiem Bouquet, Taylors of Bond Street Sandalwood

You're going to have to forgive me, age has withered my memory, I have probably forgotten a few, but they were probably worth forgetting.

Any suggestions for the 40'a?

Default Re: My Life in fragrance

Welcome to Basenotes, Gimpee!

You've had quite a fragrant life thus far, I see... I'm not yet 40, so I'm not sure that I can help Y'all with your request. Maybe you could provide us with some more information, in order to help us out a little.
    Are there any fragrance types that you really like? And, out of all the frags that you've worn through the years, have there been any that have 'moved' you?

Sorry, I couldn't give you any concrete suggestions... good luck tho', and keep us posted!

-Wm.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Thanks Wildcat

I suppose the frags that have given me the most joy and the ones I would like to have a continuous supply off (in an ideal world) would be:
    C&S No.88
    C&S Dark Rose - limited edition for some reason
    Jo Malones Pomegranate Noir
    I forgot to mention (the memory thing) I also had Gucci Pour Homme (not II) last year and liked that as well.
    I like classic frags, but also something unique and with an unexpected twist. Dark, musky, woody frags - with a hint of sweetness and warmth.

And why not a mix of Geranium Bourbon (rose smell), sandalwood and oud ? You might find it at Arabian Oud in London.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Dependent

Gimpee, you have had an excellent luxury of great scents tho ive heard of quite a few u mentioned, there are many which i havent as well. im closer to 30 than 20 years of age(i'll leave it as that lol)

can i start by saying that its very nice that in ur teen years the "in scents" are now considered classics. it really shows how much the frag industry has evolved. Ive used obsession and Calvin(now defunct) and if u like those, you should find gentleman by givenchy a nostalgically apealling scent. I still use it btw. Along with Eau Sauvage and Paco Rabanne ph. sadly my exposure the the "niche" frag culture is some what non existent as they are hardly avaible where im from. Tho ive tried only creed so far. U may find Acier Aluminium by creed to be suitable(from looking at ur list)

On the contemporary end, you could give Fahrenheit 32 a shot. i love 3 scents from dior, and cant get enough of them, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit and Fah. 32. In fact, if i had to survive with just one day scent and another night, they would be ES and Fahrenheit respectively. Looking at your list, im pretty sure u've tried those i mentioned already. But nonetheless they seem timeless.

A friend of mine who's in his late 40s is using 212 men. so i guess age doesnt really matter
    may i ask what u may be looking for? since u already moved on pretty much from each of the age phases. there are too many to mention and im curious too what ur next move will be.

I find Bvlgari's Darjeeling tea range (namely Bvg Ph,, Bvg Extreme, Bvg ph soir) to be easy to wear and i had a boss once in his 50s using it. I use all 3 depending on the occasion or mood, so u may give them a try if u havent yet

once uve narrowed ur choices down(which im sure would be a huge dilemma, coz alot of us members are always very responsive when suggesting our own scents of choice), u could hit the market place here for some nice samples. sadly i cant really say much about niche, hardly within my commerical reach and financial means lol. enjoy!
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th September 2008 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks for the heads up on the Oud and the Bvlgari Darjeeling range.

I have been through a few Oud's and the best one I had was a gift from person who I met only once - it was a 6ml bottle of Cambodian Oud - a lovely sweet Oud with so much longevity - however once I started using it, I couldnt bring myself to use anything else. I went through that bottle in less than 3 months.

I may well check out the Bvlgari White Tea as a tester.

I dont know whether I am trying to relive my teens vicariously through my frags, but I have been toying with going back to Azzaro and Givenchy Gentlemen (not the latest incarnations of either though).

Welcome, Gimpee! Looks like you were a connoisseur of fragrances long before you found Basenotes.

I'm a bit older than you (and will leave it at that), and my current favorites are Narciso Rodriquez for Him, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, and Dior Homme - all easily accessible (and affordable) designer fragrances yet quite different than mainstream aquatics. Others much more knowledgeable will surely provide more suggestions. Good luck!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpee View Post
    Dark, musky, woody frags - with a hint of sweetness and warmth.
    I'm 44, wearing Bvlgari Black as I write which can be cheaply had and (to me) is pretty much what you describe here. Well, maybe not musky. Or warm. Definitely dark, woody, and faintly sweet.