Code of Conduct

Thread: 'watery' accord

Default 'watery' accord

I've been coming across references to this accord quite a bit lately, along with comments that it's fairly 'new' in fragrance. Now, 'new' is a relative term so I'm not sure what individuals mean when they use the word, but am I wrong in finding late 80's/early 90's Calvin Klein frags often have this accord? I'm thinking especially of Escape (for women) and also Eternity (women). I loved Escape when it first came out - in fact it may have been the first frag I ever actually took conscious notice of, and I'm wondering if I'm misidentifying the 'watery' note. Does anyone else find this association with CK?

Just as an aside, I didn't find either CK frag ozonic or sharp (which I don't like) - that's why Escape appealed to me - watery, but without the sharpness.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: 'watery' accord

I am not really familiar with those CK scents, except Eternity, which doesn't say "water" to me at all. When I use the term I mean more like a dilute quality to the scent as if there is actual water in there. Good examples would be: FM En Passant (watery lilac), Diptyque Do Son (watery tuberose) and Jo Malone Kohdo Day and Night (watery water lilies!). Hermes Jardin apres la Mousson is "watery melon" - as opposed to water melon.

That's interesting - that's why I asked the question, too - just wondering if 'watery' meant the same thing to different people. Even to the 2 of us, it appears not to. Escape, btw, is the one I would say was very watery. Talking about it is making me want to search it out again, too.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I am not really familiar with those CK scents, except Eternity, which doesn't say "water" to me at all. When I use the term I mean more like a dilute quality to the scent as if there is actual water in there. Good examples would be: FM En Passant (watery lilac), Diptyque Do Son (watery tuberose) and Jo Malone Kohdo Day and Night (watery water lilies!). Hermes Jardin apres la Mousson is "watery melon" - as opposed to water melon.

VM's description (Hi, VM!) jives exactly with my thoughts. Makes me remember that I must try Mousson sometime soon, because I seem to really go for watery frags.

Blog Entries

Recently I tried Bvlgari Aqva Marine and I noticed a distinct water accord. No surprises there, though.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Montales Fougere Marine is the answer...i havent sniffed a scent so clean...with fresh water kind of accords...

Hmmm ... I find Hermes' 'Un Jardin sur le Nil' to be watery -- perhaps unsurprisingly!