Code of Conduct

Default Mouchoir de Monsieur - old and new

I just bought one of the two MdM bottles at Saks in Midtown Manhattan (apparently this is scarce even at the flagship store in nyc) and compared it with the vintage juice I got off ebay. The only difference I notice is that the moss-vanilla-iris base is a bit richer in the vintage juice else the two are nearly identical.

Anyone else have any comments on the supposed reformulation of MdM ?

BTW, its my third trip to Saks at 5th Ave., but the Guerlain SAs seemed a bit ignorant of their customers. I quite enjoyed the attention at the Jo Malone and Penhaligons counters though !
    Last edited by zztopp; 10th September 2008 at 11:51 PM.
    -

Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur - old and new

I sampled it at Marrionaude in Ales, France last month.
    Returning to the US, I bought a tester off Imaginationperfumery.com; the difference is astounding. The bottle in France had top notes that were bergamot fresh and civet to the max. Those top notes failed on the bottle that I purchased.
    This sounds like a Creed thread now, yikes!

Ruggles, were they the same concentration?

I have Jicky EDP, and it is an intense citrus and civet blast--much more so than the EDT. So, I suspect this could be an issue with the MdM, even though I am not sure if MdM comes in more than one strength.

zztopp, I think eliminating nitro musks was part of Jicky's current embodiment. It is possible the same is true for MdM. Bravo if they were able keep the character so well.

Where is Mr. Guerlain? Do we need a "Guerlain Signal'?
    Last edited by Asha; 11th September 2008 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have Jicky EDP, and it is an intense citrus and civet blast--much more so than the EDT. So, I suspect this could be an issue with the MdM, even though I am not sure if MdM comes in more than one strength.
    I have MdM edt. I don't know if it comes in other concentrations, although I read somewhere that its also part of the "exclusive" line ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I have MdM edt. I don't know if it comes in other concentrations, although I read somewhere that its also part of the "exclusive" line ?
    I've never heard of MdM in any concentration other than EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I just bought one of the two MdM bottles at Saks in Midtown Manhattan (apparently this is scarce even at the flagship store in nyc) and compared it with the vintage juice I got off ebay. The only difference I notice is that the moss-vanilla-iris base is a bit richer in the vintage juice else the two are nearly identical.

Anyone else have any comments on the supposed reformulation of MdM ?

BTW, its my third trip to Saks at 5th Ave., but the Guerlain SAs seemed a bit ignorant of their customers. I quite enjoyed the attention at the Jo Malone and Penhaligons counters though !
    Jo Malone (from my experiences) have amazing sales reps ACROSS THE BOARD!!!! If their scents had better longevity they'd be a top five company for me.

I adore MdM so I'm curious about if the new juice is different. Sadly I detest Jicky and do not see a likeness in the two (Jicky would be a more affordable easier to find replacement of course).

Cheers,
    Al

Right now for MdM the only concentration in production is EDT in bee bottle 100 ml.
    It`s not part of exclusive Parisian line, but it`s selling in Guerlain corners only. limited distribution.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Haha - this is so much fun! Love this place!

And yup only one single concentration of Mouchoir de Monsieur ever produced, EdT. As I wrote on my site, "loud perfumes were not in fashion at the turn of the century, so it's mainly kept as a delicate, lavender-aromatic fougère".

I have the newer beehive bottle edition plus an older version in the so-called "Habit Rouge bottle" - I really can't detect any difference. I must say, though, that almost every single of my older bottles of anything smells slightly more "round", but I'm quite sure it's only due to ageing of the juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Where is Mr. Guerlain? Do we need a "Guerlain Signal'?