Code of Conduct

Default Why winter vs summer?

Hiya I am new, but have lurked for a while. Reading the reviews here over the past 6 or 7 months is actually what started my journey away from the more typical designer frags and into the lovely perfume realms discussed here. Luckily, I have a step-daughter near my own age who is more than happy to gain ownership of the perfumes I've outgrown and no longer enjoy.

I thought, after breaking my lurking habit earlier today, I might as well ask a series of related question that've been on my mind for a while.

I keep reading about summer fragrances vs winter ones and am wondering if it's just a suggestion as to what season to wear certain frags, or if it's something that's strongly followed. Would it be, for instance, bad form to wear a winter frag in summer?

The reason I ask is that most summer frags that I've tried don't work on my skin - they turn acrid and very sharp. The only summer scent I've ever found that works well on me is "Light Blue." I have mostly "winter" frags in my collection and they're lovely on me in summer. In fact, I get more compliments on them when I wear them in summer than when I do in winter.

This might be skin chemistry, but I also thought it might be sunblock lotions and moisturizing oils affecting the way summer scents work on me. I can't skip on the sunblock - Gibraltar is very sunny - and I can't skip moisturizing oil as I have exceedingly dry skin to the point where lotions don't even begin to help. However, I have been switching around what I've been using to see if summer scents will work on me and nothing seems to help. Winter scents seem to stay the same on my skin no matter what other products I use. With any and every scent I kill sillage, but don't usually have a problem with longevity. It's only the more summery perfumes that go acrid and sharp on me (and Angel, L'instant and Chance - those go quite acrid as well). I don't think it's the sweet notes that go sharp and acrid on me - more the floral? I don't have the nose to identify scents very well. Basically, warm scents seem to work just fine, as do "dirty" or animalistic scents, but cooler ones seem to go pure acrid, sharp and synthetic.

So, after all that random wittering around the subject, my questions are basically these:

Is it ok to wear a "winter" frag in summer?

Know any summer perfumes that won't turn acrid and sharp on someone who tends to turn perfumes that way?

Default Re: Why winter vs summer?

Yes, it is OK.

It mainly has to do with humidity and heat. Those two factors enhance certain scents, so some become more noticeable and some become overwhelming. Also, a cold nose does not have the same sensitivity and may not be as keen as a warm one.
    Moreover, there is a psychological factor of craving Cool scents of fruits and flowers during summer time and liking woody, smoky, sweet scents during winter.

I live in the USA, but I regularly visit Mexico. Last year we had a -5 C temperature in the USA, so I packed several woody and gourmand scents to wear for a month. I also grabed a couple of decants of some fresh scents just in case. Back in Mexico the lowest temperature was 15 C (the funny thing is they still use huge coats and jackets) and it was not uncommon to reach 25 – 28 C during the day. I could not wear any of my woody, musky or sweet scents. First, I did not felt like wearing them, I did not crave them. Second, when I did use them they became overpowering and somewhat annoying during the day.

You mention that the fresh/floral scent turn on your skin. It seems resonable to me that stronger winter-type scents are less succeptible to change than some fresh, light kind of scents. The fresh topnotes generally last a lot less than the stronger sweeter basenotes. The powerhouses of the 80s remain strong after almost 30 years of existence while the newer perfumes have a pathetic shelf life.

I do not know a lot about feminine perfumes so I cannot mention a lot of brands, butI would think that a skin-like white musk (like the one offered by montale) or a light woody scent would work well during the summer. I would check the house Comptoir Sud Pacifique, too.
    Last edited by irish; 11th September 2008 at 03:21 PM.

Definitely okay to wear winter scents in summer if (a) that is what works for you, and (b) that is what you enjoy. As irish mentioned, the two main reasons why many of us will hold off on our winter fragrances when the weather turns hot are because the heat can very much amplify some winter fragrances, and because we may simply not feel like experiencing certain notes and accords when the weather turns hot (and maybe muggy, too!).
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

I think it depends upon you climate and how much your personal life is set up to ignore said climate. I get on a heavily air conditioned bus to go to my heavily air conditioned workplace and back on said bus to get home. It may hit 100 outside but I am out "there" for 10 minutes tops. So I think it's less of an issue. Also some "winter" scents I love to wear in summer (Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver) because they remind me of being chilly and vice versa (AG Hadrien) to pick me up on a grey winter day.

In other words, do what works for you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Last year we had a -5 C temperature in the USA, so I packed several woody and gourmand scents to wear for a month. I also grabed a couple of decants of some fresh scents just in case. Back in Mexico the lowest temperature was 15 C (the funny thing is they still use huge coats and jackets) and it was not uncommon to reach 25 – 28 C during the day.
    Sorry - got a bit of a giggle out of this bit. I'm actually an American. I lived in Europe long enough that I'm starting to understand what C temps are equivalent to, but after you made the effort of translating to celsius, I had to translate right back to fahrenheit again

I do crave the fresh scents when I smell them on other people, but when I try them on myself they just don't work. I don't even know if Light Blue works on me. I have such a strong and happy scent memory of that one as it was the first perfume my husband bought for me after I moved in with him - I don't think I have the ability to be objective about it. He says it smells good, but he has the same scent memory of it as I do, so....

I could see a white musk working. I think more fruit based perfumes would be alright as well - I've just always been a bit iffy with testing them for fear of them being overly sweet.

It does tend to get hot and muggy here in the summer, but that just means that you can smell perfume on me from two, maybe even three feet away rather than the usual six inches or less

As for the climate, well, Gib is so small, there's no real need to get on a bus or be in an enclosed space. I walk everywhere. Add on top of that, there's no VAT here and there are a lot of tourists. When you walk down the main street it's just perfume shop after perfume shop interspersed with tobacco and liquor shops. A person wearing a single perfume, even a heavy winter one, wouldn't be noticed in the midst of so many tourists who've sprayed themselves silly, or been sprayed near with so many different scents. Many of the locals here are also not at all shy about wearing strong perfumes - perhaps because they have such a plethora to choose from
    Last edited by Estel; 11th September 2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: misspelling

Anything that makes you feel ill during summer heat and humidity is a winter frag. This is the only purpose of the distiction. Heavier frags can be physically uncomfortable during summer, as much as wearing a winter coat in 100 degree weather.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I can't say whether it's OK or not to wear a winter one in summer and am unable to comment on the ladies' summer fragrances.

However, your own words

Quote Originally Posted by Estel View Post

I have mostly "winter" frags in my collection and they're lovely on me in summer. In fact, I get more compliments on them when I wear them in summer than when I do in winter.
    should answer your question I've wear stuff like A*men, Dior Homme, Opium PH EdP, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, JPG Fleur du Male...add whatever heavy Oriental, during summer. And some swear that these are made for winter wear only!

I do get reaction though when wearing these (albeit not always positive...and I don't care), and that's good enough for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Estel View Post

Sorry - got a bit of a giggle out of this bit. I'm actually an American. I lived in Europe long enough that I'm starting to understand what C temps are equivalent to, but after you made the effort of translating to celsius, I had to translate right back to fahrenheit again
    I actually have to to this conversions on a daily basis. They are actually quite easy

Take the F degrees divide by 2 and substract 16. that is a good aproximation for weather.
    Lets say its 100F outside. 100F = 37.8 C
    Our Aproximation.
    100/2=50
    50-16=34

A difference of 3.8 degrees is not that bad. But, if you want something more precise, take that aproximation, devide by 10 and add to that number again. So...

34/10=3.4
    34+3.4=37.4

Now the difference between your aproximation and the actual temp is just .4 C
    The weirdest thing of all is that this hability does not help me score a date... can you believe that?!
    See you later
    The Geek has left the building!
    Last edited by irish; 19th September 2008 at 11:44 PM.

I agree with these comments. The most important thing is to wear scents that suit you and give you enjoyment -- regardless if they are labeled as female or male, warm- or cool-weather.
    That being said, I (a male) tend to like to wear dry and woody scents (rather than sweet and floral). In warm weather, I find heavy scents just get too heavy. But in cool weather, they generate a nice sort of "heat." In warm weather, a lemony-herbal scent seems quite refreshing to me; whereas in cool weather it can seem too cool and thin.
    I like cycling through different scents, reflecting the day's mood, tasks, weather... makes things fun!
    Cheers.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Having lived in both in Chicago and Tampa, there are certian fragrances I prefer to wear in the different seasons.

Summer:
    Florals
    Orientals
    Citrus
    Fruits

Winter:
    Chypre
    Fougere
    Leather
    Woody
    Ambergris
    Musk
    Civet

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Anything that makes you feel ill during summer heat and humidity is a winter frag. This is the only purpose of the distiction. Heavier frags can be physically uncomfortable during summer, as much as wearing a winter coat in 100 degree weather.
    I pretty much agree with Carlos. Also, for me some fragrances just feel warm and comforting on cold days. These usually have a spicy, musky, woodsy and/or ambery emphasis.

I actually have to to this conversions on a daily basis. They are actually quite easy

Take the F degrees divide by 2 and substract 16. that is a good aproximation for weather.
    Lets say its 100F outside. 100F = 37.8 C
    Our Aproximation.
    100/2=50
    50-16=34

A difference of 3.8 degrees is not that bad. But, if you want something more precise, take that aproximation, devide by 10 and add to that number again. So...

34/10=3.4
    34+3.4=37.4

Now the difference between your aproximation and the actual temp is just .4 C
    The weirdest thing of all is that this hability does not help me score a date... can you believe that?!
    See you later
    The Geek has left the building!
    It's a lot easier just to subtract 32 from a Fahrenheit reading then divide by 1.8.

50F - 32 = 18
    18 / 1.8 = 10C

and conversely

30 C * 1.8 = 54
    54 + 32 = 86F

Accurate to within a few hundreths of a degree.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I agree, some frags just don't feel right when worn out of season. Although it is easier to wear a light frag in dead of winter than it is to wear a heavier frag in the heat of summer.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    It's a lot easier just to subtract 32 from a Fahrenheit reading then divide by 1.8.

Accurate to within a few hundreths of a degree.
    Your method is the correct way to convert from one to the other.
    It is easy if you have a calculator. But what is 42/1.8? Who knows?. I can't do that in my head, but most importantly: Calculators do not impress women

And I made Estel giggle Just joking.

Summer is officially over. Today I used my summer favorite Bergamote by TDC and I have to say I did not enjoy it as much as I did back in July. On the other, I have been using the 2 varvatos, egoiste and Kouros with excellent results.
    Last edited by irish; 28th September 2008 at 07:48 AM.

Your method is the correct way to convert from one to the other.
    It is easy if you have a calculator. But what is 42/1.8? Who knows?. I can't do that in my head.
    )
    75.6 done in my head.... (its easier to do in one's head than what many realise. Just double the original then subtract 10% of the new total. . . viola!!)
    Last edited by surreality; 28th September 2008 at 04:20 AM.

Surreality, whatever you are drinking or smoking... I want some of that! but i understand the essence of your method. It is pretty much what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Having lived in both in Chicago and Tampa, there are certian fragrances I prefer to wear in the different seasons.

Summer:
    Florals
    Orientals
    Citrus
    Fruits

Winter:
    Chypre
    Fougere
    Leather
    Woody
    Ambergris
    Musk
    Civet
    emphasis on prefer.

I would add sweet and gourmands to the winter list.
    Last edited by irish; 28th September 2008 at 07:49 AM.

Calculators do not impress women

I married my husband because he is my own personal calculator I suck at maths (still count on my fingers), and he went to Cambridge on a maths scholarship. Calculators impress me but then, I'm a total geek, and am impressed by other geeks.

I'm starting to understand the summer vs winter thing. I've just tried Habanita, and I definitely don't think I would wear this one in summer. First perfume I've ever said that about