Code of Conduct

Cool Your favorite character's scent

Hey guys, I invite your comments on what I hope is an interesting thread. Imagine your favorite historical or literary character. Could be male or female, could be a role model, could have a romantic element… whatever! Now what interests you about that person, and what scent would they wear? Let’s use our imaginations on this one.

I got this idea from an article in a Canadian national newspaper, titled “Scent: What Would Caesar Wear?” which was written by Marian Bendeth. I contacted Marian, and she very graciously gave me permission to use her article and provided a link to her article. The article contains a couple of pieces, but with perseverance you’ll find it.

Link to the National Post article (August 18, 2007 WP5):
    http://www.nationalpost.com/story.ht...c-237c6e2286b0

BTW – Marian is a contributor to Basenotes. She is doing an excellent series, titled “Scent Trek” in which she interviews the big names in the industry – Ellena, Tauer, Roudnitska, Villoresi… you get the picture – about their inspirations and philosophy. Check it out!

First article in Bendeth’s series “Scent Treks” is on Basenotes/Articles, see
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/20...perfumers.html

To start the ball rolling, I’ll name Sherlock Holmes as my character. I like his keen intellect and analytical skills. So what would he wear? Well, he probably smelled of pungent pipe tobacco most of the time. But when Watson could drag him out to a concert and dinner, he would have put on Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet. It is a Victorian-era scent, and it conveys a cool, intellectual, slightly aloof tone. Perfect for old Holmes!

I’m gonna post a similar thread on the women’s side. It will be interesting to see the discussions. Cheers!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 3rd October 2008 at 02:44 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Your favorite character's scent

Howdy guys, here is another character. John Muir -- as I'm sure many of you know -- was a great 19th century naturalist and environmentalist. It was due to his initiatives that the majestic redwood trees of California were perserved. The perfect scent for him? Comme des Garcons "Sequoia" of course! A rich, woody scent -- quite a treat.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Here's one that will be particularly evocative for Canadians of my generation. Pierre Trudeau was an extraordinary individual, argueably our most charismatic prime minister. Ascetic and sensual, athletic and cerebral, extroverted and shy... There is a famous photo of him wearing a stylish outfit and hat, sniffing the rose in his lapel. So in honor of him, I propose Paestum Rose. The rose here is dark and deep, not sweet at all. And a mysterious note of oud gives a piercing note, just like Trudeau's keen intellect. A complex, unconventional scent, and person.
    Cheers!
    odysseusm

Blog Entries

hmmm...interesting post, man!

i'm gonna go with Alexander The Great.

a very very ambitious, confident, yet completely insecure person.....who had alot of character, alot of hunger for power, and at the same time doubted himself consistently.

the scent i'm gonna give him is: ENCRE NOIRE

it's a very bold, confident, and insanely ambitious scent...but at its heart, there's a sort of purity or insecure innocence.

Cool Re: Your favorite character's scent

Well, since you started off with the one and only Sherlock Holmes:

Miss Marple-------------------------------Shalimar
    Nero Wolfe---------------------------------Tom Ford's Black Orchid, of course. He couldn't get enough of them, or sweets.
    Phillip Marlowe----------------------------Eau d' Hermes. Let's not forget that besides hot women he likes poetry and chess.
    Sam Spade--------------------------------Vintage Tabarome
    Charlie Chan------------------------------Cuba by Czech and Speke. It would be the closest to the sea and Hawaii
    Nick Charles-------------------------------Nora would insist on Antaeus.
    James Bond-------------------------------Dunhill '34
    Joe Leaphorn------------------------------He'd sigh but humor Jimmy Chee with Profumo's Holy Water, to counter all that witchcraft
    Simon Templar---------------------------Santos by Cartier, original formula of course.
    Inspector Jacques Clouseau---------A fake Creed.
    Hercule Poirot----------------------------Would rotate a dozen scents, Jean Patou among them, and regularly post on Basenotes.

Ah! But what of the Master criminal geniuses like Fu-Manchu and professor Moriarty?

These are deep waters, Watson. This is a two pipe problem . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Hank Moody from Californication (it´s back soon)

I think he would wear something extremely masculine, beautiful and yet still wearable.
    Eau Savage
    Bvlgari Black
    Dzing

Heavy on the leather and rubber, other notes that I´d see him in would be vetiver and bergamot. Don´t think he´d use any of the serge lutens though, too spicey and foreign in a way.

What do you think?

Alan Partridge - Old Spice

That's his cologne,seldom worn,I think. He's more of a Lynx (Axe) man,specifically Voodoo or Java.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    hmmm...interesting post, man!

i'm gonna go with Alexander The Great.

a very very ambitious, confident, yet completely insecure person.....who had alot of character, alot of hunger for power, and at the same time doubted himself consistently.

the scent i'm gonna give him is: ENCRE NOIRE

it's a very bold, confident, and insanely ambitious scent...but at its heart, there's a sort of purity or insecure innocence.

There is a scent by Diptyque: L'EAU LENTE, based on a pre-battle ritual of Alexandros: rub the body with opoponax and spices to attract the favor of the gods in battle.

Alexander learned this ritual from priests of the Old Egypt to communicate with divinity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Hank Moody from Californication (it´s back soon)

I think he would wear something extremely masculine, beautiful and yet still wearable.
    Eau Savage
    Bvlgari Black
    Dzing

Heavy on the leather and rubber, other notes that I´d see him in would be vetiver and bergamot. Don´t think he´d use any of the serge lutens though, too spicey and foreign in a way.

What do you think?
    i don't think Hank Moody would ever wear Dzing!! LOL....smelling like a cat's belly doesn't sound right.

i agree with you though about masculine and wearable....hence i'd go Paco Rabanne for that "sex fiend" atmosphere.

I just get leather from Dzing!

never smelled Paco Rabanne, sounds interesting though

The Joker ---- Profumum Fumidus.

He would love that scent. I do, too

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Hey everybody, thanks! This is all great!
    I can't resist more Sherlockiana.
    Dr. Watson would wear Geo. F. Trumper's Astor. It is a warm, woody spice; in keeping with his masculine, friendly personality. The spice notes and sandalwood remind him of his days as an army surgeon in India.
    And... Moriarty? I debated about this one. In the end, I decided to play off the Blenheim Bouquet theme that I had picked for Holmes. A villain and a hero should be well matched, equal in many ways. So for Moriarity, I picked D. R. Harris Arlington. Like BB, it is an assertively dry citrus scent. BB has lemon, Arlington has orange; BB has pine; Arl has fern/violet. Arlington is powerful, just as Moriarity was as he spun his webs of criminal intrigue.
    Those were two Victorian-era scents.
    And in tribute to the fateful confrontation between Holmes and Moriarity at Reichenbach Falls, Switzerland, I propose the marvellous modern scent La Base for Him by the Swiss company Magic Helvetia. Lovely alpine herbal and pine notes.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 16th September 2008 at 03:45 PM.
    odysseusm

Inspector Jane Tennison ("Prime Suspect", played by Helen Mirren)

Cabochard. Vintage, un-tampered with Cabochard. Maybe just the talc and edt during the day, extrait definitely at night.

Inspector Thomas Lynley, of the Elizabeth George novels.

Aristocratic (he's the 8th Earl of Asherton) and suave, hmm....Penhaligon's for sure. English Fern. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Hey everybody, thanks! This is all great!
    I can't resist more Sherlockiana.
    Dr. Watson would wear Geo. F. Trumper's Astor. It is a warm, woody spice; in keeping with his masculine, friendly personality. The spice notes and sandalwood remind him of his days as an army surgeon in India.
    And... Moriarty? I debated about this one. In the end, I decided to play off the Blenheim Bouquet theme that I had picked for Holmes. A villain and a hero should be well matched, equal in many ways. So for Moriarity, I picked D. R. Harris Arlington. Like BB, it is an assertively dry citrus scent. BB has lemon, Arlington has orange; BB has pine; Arl has fern/violet. Arlington is powerful, just as Moriarity was as he spun his webs of criminal intrigue.
    Those were two Victorian-era scents.
    And in tribute to the fateful confrontation between Holmes and Moriarity at Reichenbach Falls, Switzerland, I propose the marvellous modern scent La Base for Him by the Swiss company Magic Helvetia. Lovely alpine herbal and pine notes.

And Mycroft?

I admit I'm still stumped at the greatest genius of all, Dr. Fu-Manchu. No less a figure than Alan Watts wrote that his interest in Oriental Philosophy came from reading these lurid novels as a child.
    While other boys dreamt of being cowboy heroes, he dreamt of being a Chinese Criminal Mastermind who possessed exquisitely carved jade boxes containing strange poisons inside . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 17th September 2008 at 07:53 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Still on the Sherlock Holmes track... I somehow imagine Agent Aloysius Pendergast from the Relic series by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston as wearing Czech & Speake's Frankincense & Myrrh. It seems to match his appearance and character perfectly. Sort of cool and smoky and grey, very elegant and refined...
    I'll ask the gardeners what they call / the many flowers, so that in the small crocks /
    of their lovely proper names I can bring back / remnants of the hundred fragrances.
    - Rilke, Requiem for a Friend

Ah... Mycroft Holmes. Sherlock himself admitted that Mycroft was his superior in intellect, but lacked the "get-up-and-go" energy that he, his younger brother, possessed in abundance. At first I thought of a heavy scent for Mycroft, but in the end I picked Penhaligon's Duoro. It is a complex scent, with layers slowly revealed. (I always thought that Mycroft had unnarrated potential... and I've realized that he likely was the inspiration for the character Nero Wolfe. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before.) Anyway, Duoro projects a cool authority and cerebral tone. It is a light yet powerful scent, a good balance to the large-framed Mycroft.
    Now some purists might protest that the launch date of Duoro is 1911, a bit beyond the turn of the century frame of the Holmes stories. To which I respond:
    a) I suggest that among Mycroft's many interests was an appreciation of scents. Holmes comments on scents, and likely both were knowledgeable about that. Perhaps you've read Mycroft's small contribution to the field, a monograph titled "Distillation and Rendering of various scent elements".
    b) As a highly-placed government agent, all sorts of paperwork passed Mycroft's desk. Including patent applications and documents from Penhaligons. Indeed, it is possible that Penhaligons approached Mycroft and he was involved in the development of Duoro, and tested early prototypes of the scent.
    c) This theory gains credence when one considers the name of the scent, "Duoro", and realizes that the favorite libation at Mycroft's Diogenes club was port. Duoro is the name of the premier port producing region of Portugal.
    The game is afoot...!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 17th September 2008 at 04:21 PM.
    odysseusm

Well, I'm still stuck in the dragon realm of Fu-Manchu. I thought perhaps Imperial Jade Emperor, but no that would be too cute, and not befitting a homicidal maniac with an IQ that puts Mycroft's to shame. Somehow I think Jaipur suits him, but I'm not completely sure.
    Well, I'm bcoming obsesive, this is a three pipe problem.
    So, to take a short break:

Meanwhile, in the realm of Victorian novels:

Dorian Grey----------------------------------------------------Hamman Bouquet
    Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights-------------------------Blenheim Bouquet
    Sidney Carlton in A Tale of Two Cities---------------Royal English Leather

Now where did I put that jade box with strange poisons?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Please someone do more famous couples. I now often wonder what the Thin Man and wife would wear:

"
    Myrna Loy and William Powell

The ultimate sophisticated couple of the ‘30s and ‘40s, these two made an impressive 14 movies together, most famously in the six-flick “Thin Man” series as wise-cracking Nick and Nora Charles. Powell is a former gumshoe who just wants to settle into a life of recreational drinking with his wife, the madcap heiress, and their adorable back-flipping terrier Asta – but they keep getting interrupted by unsavory characters from Powell’s past with mysteries to solve.

Powell almost doesn’t look natural unless he’s in white tie and tails, and Loy is gorgeous, whether she’s nursing a hangover in a filmy peignoir, or arranging a formal sit-down dinner for the local mob heavies. The perfect couple on screen, they were great friends off screen, and their collaboration lasted longer than many Hollywood marriages. "

It'd also be interesting to see their 70's power house versions Mcmillan and wife.

And then of course theres the many other couple's through the ages, Lucy and Ricky, Bogey and Baccal, etc.

Hey everybody, this is terrific.
    Let's keep "watching the detectives"....
    But to pick up the recent suggestion by masuerte on couples -- here are two artists with a complex friendship. Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gaugin. They shared quarters in Arles. Well portrayed in the classic movie "Lust for Life" by Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn.
    Van Gogh -- so troubled, so sensitive. I choose to think of him with Acqua Classico by Borsari. Yellow was such important colour for Van Gogh, and the lemony tones suggest that paint colour and the brilliant sunshine in which he loved to paint.
    Gaugin -- his later paintings when he relocated to Polynesia are well matched by a Comptoire Sud Pacifique scent, Barbier des Isles (citrus, warm spice, incense).
    Last edited by odysseusm; 18th September 2008 at 05:45 PM.
    odysseusm

Andy Dufresne from Shawshank Redemption probably wore some contaband Old Spice since it was just introduced in 1937 and this was the 40s. Maybe Creed Royal English Leather before jail since he was a banker.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

To stick with the Holmes theme ... William of Baskerville from Eco's Name of the Rose would wear (if monks wore perfume) Avignon. But secetly, as an admirer of the Arab philosophers who brought the knowledge of antiquity to Europe, he'd be putting on some attar of roses.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Streets of San Francisco

Karl Malden's character (Mike Stone) would have worn Old Spice. I feel pretty strongly that he owned and used the soap-on-a-rope of this.

Michael Douglas' character (Steve Keller) would have splashed on the original Pierre Cardin. You know the one.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 18th September 2008 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    To stick with the Holmes theme ... William of Baskerville from Eco's Name of the Rose would wear (if monks wore perfume) Avignon. But secetly, as an admirer of the Arab philosophers who brought the knowledge of antiquity to Europe, he'd be putting on some attar of roses.
    I've got it!
    Fu-Manchu would wear Knize Ten:

" Nayland Smith a hideous death awaits you in my dungeon. It would be impolite not to answer your final question. Know then that Knize Ten originated in China during the Sung dynasty. The fragrance master was murdered by his apprentice who fled with the formula to Japan. There it was acquired by an ancient and powerful Samurai family and the formula remained their secret for centuries, until an unfortunate misunderstanding with mysel led to their complete extinction. "

Ok, back to Holmes! I'm glad i'm not the only Sherlockian fanatic here.
    What would the following wear?

Sir Henry Baskerville ---An obvious relation to William of Baskerville, of course.
    Irene Adler------------------" For Holmes she was always THE woman. "
    Sebastian Moran----------Former Colonel in Her Majesty's Army, reputed to be the best shot in India, card cheat, and cold blooded killer.

Some Holmseian characters, like the unhappy John Hector McFarlane would have worn none, due to his asthma. The Baker Street irregulars, precocious though they were, could not afford any, and others are simply too boring to ponder. Who cares what Lestrade wore?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

And let's make it even more intriguing. Scent as DISGUISE.
    What would Holmes have worn when assumed one of his many brilliant disguises, e.g., the amiable non-conformist minister or the down-at-the heels groomsman?
    What would Sir Percy Blakeney have worn in his daytime persona as a fop, and in his alter-ego mode as the Scarlet Pimpernel?
    And hey -- anyone remember the Disney show "The Scarecrow?" By day, Dr. Syn, by night the omnious Scarecrow with his wierd costume and haunting laugh!
    Heck, even Bruce Wayne/Batman can be thought about in this way.
    odysseusm

I believe the 'actual' fragrance associated with the 'character' James Bond is Floris 89, which makes perfect sense, it being so formal and British.

Here's another sub-thread: scent and music/musicians. I'm sure there are lots of thoughts on this.
    Miles Davis -- cool, minimalist jazz trumper (also a pretty snappy dresser).
    I'm struggling to find a scent in tribute to him.
    I'm wearing Quartz pour Homme by Molyneaux and in some ways that is a good fit. A kind of 50's-60's vibe with its clove/barbershop note. Also a cool, sort of focused note from the vetiver.
    For Miles' classic Sketches of Spain album, I'm thinking of a soliflore sandalwood I like, Santal by Melvita. A soliflore, with an emphasis on a single note, is like those floating, semi-detached notes Miles blows. Cool and warm at the same time.
    odysseusm

Another jazz musician -- Ben Webster.
    Could blow the sax hard and loud, but found his niche with very tender, heart-on-his-sleeve ballads.
    So, we need a warm, tender scent for "The Brute" who actually had a heart of gold.
    Mechant Loup (Naughty Wolf) by L'Artistan Parfumer will do the trick. Lovely warm cedar notes. A touch of honey to remind us of Ben's sweet tones. The Wolf and the Brute will get along just fine.
    odysseusm

This one was easy. I've posted a review for Silvestre by the Italian company Victor. I got this on eBay, it is a 1950s-60s scent in the original bottle. It reminds me of something Marcello Mastroianni would have splashed on in a scene from a movie with the lovely Sophia Loren. It is pine-y, powerful, very suave and assertive. Has machismo but its not obnoxious, with a certain rakish devil-may-care charm.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I believe the 'actual' fragrance associated with the 'character' James Bond is Floris 89, which makes perfect sense, it being so formal and British.
    From what I read it was actually Dunhill blend 30, which I have half a bottle of and is out of commission.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Today's tribute also was easy. I'm sure many know the inspiration behind Creed's high-end fragrance, Cypres-Musc. It reportedly was created with Maurice Chevalier in mind. Ah, Maurice! Gallic charm, joie de vivre, an enchanting boulevardier and song-and-dance man. Any man might aspire to that, with his twinkle in his eye and love of life in the characters he played.
    Cypres-Musc is dusky, resinous, Mediterranean, compelling. One of my very FAVORITE scents!!!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

I am reading Don Quixote at the moment. I can't decide what sort of fragrance he would wear. It would have to be something manly and elegant, but with something a bit... off.

Time for another posting. OK, this guy is contemporary -- and timeless!
    Namely Ry Cooder, one of the greatest guitarists, period.
    Great scene in the movie "Paris, Texas"... the ruined face and figure of Harry Dean Stanton walking through the heat-shimmering desert, with rattlesnake tangy guitar licks as background music, supplied by Mr. Cooder.
    A haunting desert scent, mysterious and evocative: Ouazarzate by Comme des Garcons.
    odysseusm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    And Mycroft?

I admit I'm still stumped at the greatest genius of all, Dr. Fu-Manchu. No less a figure than Alan Watts wrote that his interest in Oriental Philosophy came from reading these lurid novels as a child.
    While other boys dreamt of being cowboy heroes, he dreamt of being a Chinese Criminal Mastermind who possessed exquisitely carved jade boxes containing strange poisons inside . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    Well then , it has to be Opium, or Nasomato's 'China White'.

Here is a tribute to one of my favorite guys, someone influential on me as I was growing up. Graham Kerr, aka. the Galloping Gourmet. I don't know if that show ran in the USA, but it was broadcast in Canada. Everyday I would come home from school and watch it. He was one of earlier TV cooking personalities. I loved the fact that he was enthusiastic, funny, knew so much about food and wine, and that the women in the audience were charmed! I wanted to be that guy! Well, I'm working on all those things... but I sure enjoy cooking!
    And here's a suitable scent. Dior's Eau Sauvage was released in 1966, the first year of the TV show. Eau Sauvage is a lovely scent, cheery, suave, it has a really enjoyable quality for me.
    Cheers, Graham! and God bless.
    odysseusm

Ten years ago in Carnegie Hall, the Buena Vista Social Club put on a memorable performance. This was a project put together by Ry Cooder that involved many Cuban musicians, who had not recorded for many years. Many albums came out of Cooder's initiative, and the music really caught the imagination of the North American audiences. I loved the initial studio album and played it many times. The concert was captured by the director Wim Wenders in a great documentary. Lively, heart-felt, suave and deeply passionate; truly inspirational and extremely moving.
    This year, the double CD set from that memorable concert was released, "Buena Vista Social Club at Carnegie Hall."
    In honor of that, here's a scent. I'm breaking my self-imposed rule of suggesting a scent I know, since I haven't tried this particular one. But it is so appropriate -- Habanera.

Cheers!
    odysseusm

George Bush - Brut 33
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.