Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Hah -- maybe we can get into a debate as to the purrr-fect TV Catwoman: Julie Newmar, Lee Meriweather, or Eartha Kitt. And a scent to accompany the winner! Any suggestions?
    Eartha Kitt is my favorite! Can't think of what would be just right though... Perhaps something spicy, like Caron's Poivre?

Switching to another femme fatale of the era, thinking of the character of Emma Peel from The Avengers... I decided Parfume d'Empire's Cuir Ottoman. A strong, robust and realistic leather fragrance with just a touch of florals that are feminine enough to be womanly.

Default Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

Today's scent: Crabtree & Evelyn's Lavender Water. A lovely, simple scent, quite true to a sprig or nosegay of lavender.
    Today's character: Queen Victoria (1819-1901). She, and her era, fascinate me. So many literary and historical figures associated with that time: Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll), Arthur Conan Doyle, and Bram Stoker to name a few. Where would we be without Alice in Wonderland, Sherlock Holmes, and Dracula? Much poorer in imaginative literary characters. The era was one of great optimism and yet great class inequity, as Dickens showed. The TV series "Upstairs, Downstairs" also showed the late Victorian era (segueing into the Edwardian).
    Queen V probably liked the scent of lavender, and would have enjoyed smelling lavender and heather on her estate at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. Her time there after the death of Prince Albert is shown in an interesting movie, "Mrs. Brown" with Dame Judy Dench and Billy Connolly.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Unhappy Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

Well, I'm saddened to hear that the incredible jazz/caberet singer Blossom Dearie has died.
    See this thread. http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223182

She had a very hip, ironic voice. Definitely a mistress of coy understatement.

What scent to offer in tribute to her?
    I think Roger & Gallet's Bouquet Imperiale -- a wispy light scent, yet with a haunting beauty.

Check out "my attorney Bernie" or "Peel me a grape".
    RIP
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Your favorite character's scent!

odysseusm -- I'm impressed with your dedication to acknowledging female talent and I will definitely check out the Dearie tunes. Shirley Horn is a big favorite of mine -- I think of her voice as silvery (lemon? incense? lavender?), but I agree that sandalwood has a quintessential earthy hipness that works. I love Black Cat's match for Elizabeth Bennet -- yes, EI! I am going to start thinking about this game today -- first, maybe, trying to match something big and wild to Julie Newmar, one of my own adored role models when I was eight!

Back to Jane Austen - I watched PBS's adaptation of Sense & Sensibility last night. Eleanor Dashwood would smell like fresh sea air and wild flowers. I'm not sure what perfume that would be, however.

Blog Entries

Jane Austen characters bring to mind on of my favorites; Floris; Edwardian Bouquet but for the cool salty breeze I like Sud Pacific; Aqua Motu.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th February 2009 at 07:09 PM.

Even though this concept may not be "new" to you or to Basenotes, I would like to clarify I was the first person to actually interview and have published, real Perfumers for this story globally as well as for creating unknown perfumes for celebs who do not possess a perfume yet for Entertainment Magazine.

Marian Bendeth
    "Fragrance weaves a necklace of perfumed memories" M.B.
    "If perfume be the food of love, spray on' M.B.

Back to catwoman: I do vote for Julie Newmar and imagine her in Dzing.

For my lifelong girl-crush inspiration, Jane Eyre: Iris Taizo. Cool/warm, earthbound yet extravagant, and full of sexy radiance.

These are all so great! I'm enjoying these recent postings. It is such fun to use the imagination in this way.
    Cheers to you all!
    odysseusm

Hillaire

For the late, great Andrew Wyeth, I choose Guerlain's Imperiale. Simple, austere, begrudgingly urbane, and impeccable.

For Giotto, I choose Messe de Minuit. I can just imagine this so well.

For Fragonard, I choose Maitre's Secret Melange. A somewhat proper, yet suggestive, classically-styled, aristocratic fundamental.

For Pablo Picasso, Muscs Kublai Khan. Overpowering masculinity, legendary swagger.

For Anselm Kieffer, Knize Ten, urban, unprecedented, and dark.

I could go on...

Blog Entries

Theodora, Byzantine empress and wife of emperor Justinian I-- Tabac Blond, for the first noted feminist

Scarlett O'Hara-- pre war, something floral; post war, something animalic

Viola from Twelfth Night-- I'm thinking an oud.

Odysseusm, I'd love your input on these, as I haven't smelled much and can't do this game justice (but it is fun )
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 10th February 2009 at 05:40 AM.

Blog Entries

This post is incredible Odysseusm! I'm enjoying reading all these wonderful posts, and I wonder about a favorite of mine.

Ginger Rogers. I grew up watching her dance across the screen with Fred Astaire. She did everything he did, but backwards wearing high heels, and he was an incredibly demanding perfectionist. She was the epitome of grace in my young eyes, but she was still funny and got good and mad when people tried to push her around. I can't describe her as eloquently as you guys would, but I had tremendous admiration for her.

I don't know enough perfume to pick one for her. A sophisticated floral, persistent and bright, with surprising notes. Any thoughts?

Thumbs up Re: Your favorite character's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Sillage6 View Post
    Even though this concept may not be "new" to you or to Basenotes, I would like to clarify I was the first person to actually interview and have published, real Perfumers for this story globally as well as for creating unknown perfumes for celebs who do not possess a perfume yet for Entertainment Magazine.

Marian Bendeth
    Exactly! Welcome to this thread, Marian. I'm delighted to acknowledge that your article inspired this thread for me. I hope everyone reads the first posting and sees that information. Many thanks for all your work on this! Best wishes.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Theodora, Byzantine empress and wife of emperor Justinian I-- Tabac Blond, for the first noted feminist

Scarlett O'Hara-- pre war, something floral; post war, something animalic

Viola from Twelfth Night-- I'm thinking an oud.

Odysseusm, I'd love your input on these, as I haven't smelled much and can't do this game justice (but it is fun )
    Well, thanks for asking, Sunnyfunny! I'm glad to put my 2 cents in.
    * Theodora. I'm thinking of the incredible Orthodox liturgies with all the incense, and the marvelous mosaics of Theodora and Justinian at Ravenna. So I'll suggest Incenso by i Profumi di Firenze, a great Italian incense scent.
    * Scarlett. I think there we have to go with Guerlain, who were making perfumes at the time the story would have taken place. Bouquet de l'Impératrice is listed as 1863 which is the probable date of the events (but that may be too new for Scarlett), but how about Extract of Fragnipani which is in the 1820's. I had thought of magnolias in the southern US, but Fragnipani blossoms will do.
    * Viola. Can't do better than Violetta di Parma by Borsari. A landmark treatment of violet: floral and yet earthy, beautiful and yet sober.
    How do these sound?
    odysseusm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Well, thanks for asking, Sunnyfunny! I'm glad to put my 2 cents in.
    * Theodora. I'm thinking of the incredible Orthodox liturgies with all the incense, and the marvelous mosaics of Theodora and Justinian at Ravenna. So I'll suggest Incenso by i Profumi di Firenze, a great Italian incense scent.
    * Scarlett. I think there we have to go with Guerlain, who were making perfumes at the time the story would have taken place. Bouquet de l'Impératrice is listed as 1863 which is the probable date of the events (but that may be too new for Scarlett), but how about Extract of Fragnipani which is in the 1820's. I had thought of magnolias in the southern US, but Fragnipani blossoms will do.
    * Viola. Can't do better than Violetta di Parma by Borsari. A landmark treatment of violet: floral and yet earthy, beautiful and yet sober.
    How do these sound?
    Your method is interesting, and totally different from mine,which is cool-- you are looking at time, place, and what was available at the time, yes? I'm looking at personality, character development, and what life threw at them at different times. I just wish I knew more fragrances! I think I need to try Incenso. Liturgical incense is beautiful.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 10th February 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Theodora -- now that would make a great name for a perfume. Has one ever ever existed?

Talking Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Thanks for the link. The idea is not new at all, and as a newbie you might want to use that search button more often. Of course we have new people and new thoughts joined us since, however, we even had a Book of the Month club here not speaking about Hyacinth Bucket and others.

You know..I'm a relative newbie too and I think it's good to revisit great threads like this. So many people are new to Basenotes, and as you said, have new thoughts and ideas..I am so happy when fun posts like this occur..much more interesting and interactive than simply reading what others have already said on the subject in the past. Especially a subject like this, where there is no right answer! So thanks Odysseum. Cool.

Smile Re: Your favorite character's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Back to Jane Austen - I watched PBS's adaptation of Sense & Sensibility last night. Eleanor Dashwood would smell like fresh sea air and wild flowers. I'm not sure what perfume that would be, however.
    I'm thinking Lostmarc'h Ael Mat.