Code of Conduct

Question Your favorite character's scent!

Hello ladies. Please imagine your favorite historical or literary character. That person could be male or female, could be a role model, could have a romantic element… whatever you please! Now tell us what interests you about that person, and what scent would they wear?

I got this idea from an article in a Canadian national newspaper, titled “Scent: What Would Caesar Wear?” which was written by Marian Bendeth. I contacted Marian, and she very graciously gave me permission to use her article and provided a link to her article. The article contains a couple of pieces, but with perseverance you’ll find it. Scents were imagined for Maria Callas, Marlene Dietrich, and Marie Antoinette.

Link to the National Post article:
    http://www.nationalpost.com/story.ht...c-237c6e2286b0

BTW – Marian is a contributor to Basenotes. She is doing an excellent series, titled “Scent Trek” in which she interviews the big names in the industry -- Ellena, Tauer, Roudnitska, Villoresi… you get the picture – about their inspirations and philosophy. Check it out!

First article in Bendeth’s series “Scent Treks” is on Basenotes/Articles, see
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/20...perfumers.html

To start the ball rolling, I’ll name Hatshepsut as a female character. She was a female Pharaoh in ancient Egypt. Pauline Gedge wrote a great book about her. I was in Egypt and was thrilled to visit her tomb. As a female ruler in a male world, I think she would have worn two scents. The first would be a daytime/business scent, something like Hermés Jardin sur le Nil with citrus-fresh notes and a hint of papyrus. Perfect as she conducts business and the scribes are recording her decrees. At night, an air of romance replaces business. She would wear something glamorous, along the lines of Lutens Arabie (spices, fruit) or with languid incense and myrrh notes. Her suitors would be enthralled.

Have fun with this!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 9th February 2009 at 03:27 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

Thanks for the link. The idea is not new at all, and as a newbie you might want to use that search button more often. Of course we have new people and new thoughts joined us since, however, we even had a Book of the Month club here not speaking about Hyacinth Bucket and others.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I thought I'd do a search for Mr. Darcy to see what threads came up and these two past threads on literary and film characters came up (sorry, but Darcy will be highlighted!)

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=Darcy

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=Darcy

Thanks for the responses so far.

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Die fröliche Wissenschaft (The Gay/Merry Science) 41
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Hello to all. I thought of another character, which I'd like to share with you.
    Emily Carr was a great Canadian painter. Not a member of the Group of Seven, but there were connections between herself and them. She painted wonderfully evocative scenes of the West Coast forest, portraying it as a brooding, mystical landscape with totem poles and deep green trees. She walked her own path in life and is an inspiration to many. So in tribute to her, I see Ayala Moriel's "Rainforest" as the perfect scent. Ayala is a Vancouver-based artisan perfumer, and I just love the deep green notes of Rainforest. It is a powerful scent, full of bold and artistic strokes -- just like Carr's paintings!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 12th September 2008 at 06:39 PM.
    odysseusm

Today I'll offer a scent tribute to a lovely artist, sadly missed: Eva Cassidy. Go to youtube and view her take on "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"... heart-breakingly beautiful and poignant since she died a year later. She had a magnificent voice, superb phrasing, and a unique ability to make any song her own. She loved nature and growing things. So I'll link her with my favorite green scent, one of joy and hope and the vitality of nature: Geo. F. Trumper's Wild Fern. Eva, you live on in the love of your fans.
    odysseusm

Today I’ll offer a tribute to the American painter Georgia O’Keefe. Her paintings of a very tight close-up of a single flower might suggest a soliflore fragrance. However, I’ll propose something inspired by her marvelous, moody, mystical depictions of cattle skulls and the arid hills of New Mexico: namely Comme des Garçons Ouarzazate. This is my favorite in the CDG Incense line which is a homage to pilgrimage sites around the world. Clary sage and resinous notes combine in a vital, haunting manner; providing a perfect counterpoint to O’Keefe’s desert images.

“The abstraction is often the most definite form for the intangible thing in myself that I can clarify in paint. Nothing is less real than realism…details are confusing…it is only by selection, by elimination, by emphasis that we get at the real meaning of things.” Georgia O’Keefe
    odysseusm

“All of us were sustained by a most delicious odor that seemed to satisfy us. And then I woke up happy.”
    From the account of a young woman’s martyrdom in the Roman empire, a woman named Perpetua.

A document of the early third century describes the events in the last days of a young convert to Christianity. Perpetua is a young mother, who against her family’s wishes becomes a Christian and then willingly undergoes martyrdom. The passage above relates a comforting dream she had the night before her public execution.
    I’m not using this blog to evangelize. As an observer of history, I simply admire and want to share with you the courage of this woman, and her beautiful strength of character in the face of the greatest adversity. She demonstrates greater courage than her male counterparts, and thus has earned a lasting place in history.
    In tribute to her, I propose a scent with a pure incense note. It seems spiritual to me, and also it has a great strength: Frederic Malle’s Bois D’Orage. This is a very apt fit for Perpetua. The masculine elements in the scent are echoed in a dream Perpetua reports, in which she appears in the form of a male gladiator to “fit the good fight.” The animalic elements in the scent are reflected in the animals of the arena. The incense note reflects Perpetua’s purity of soul.
    odysseusm

Ella Fitzgerald -- an effortless, utterly joyous voice! Bright and yet mellow tone = pure enjoyment.
    Dior's Eau Sauvage -- bright citrus notes, light and mellow musk.
    I have enjoyed both for many years. They each produce a smile when encountered.
    odysseusm

Today's scent is a tribute, not to any one person, but to the countless un-named women who have played many roles in the shaping of communities and societies. History is the record (largely) of wars, acts of parliament, generals, politicians, kings... mostly male, mostly recorded by males. Records of women have been ignored, overlooked, suppressed, eradicated. In tribute to those women, here's a lovely and truly historical scent that has been worn by many over the years: Roger & Gallet's Extra Vielle, aka Jean Marie Farina. A beautiful and classy EDC with beautiful lemon and rose notes. My favorite in that style.
    odysseusm

Picking up on my comment yesterday...
    One woman whose name and story we do know was Macrina. A holy woman of the 4th century. Two of her brothers (Basil of Cappadocia and Gregory of Nyssa) became prominent figures in their day and retain their influence in Christian theology due to their writings. Any writings of Macrina are lost, however we know from things written by Gregory that she was a huge influence on her brothers for her devotion, austerity, and dedication.
    In tribute to her, a lovely scent. Chevrefeuille Original by Creed. The basil/herb notes are appropriate for a link to her brother, and that sort of scent with its green pastoral themes seems very classical to me. It is a translucent style, and Macrina's story can only be seen through the words of her brother. Finally, it is quietly powerful scent -- as her influence was on her brothers.
    odysseusm

This could be a fun thread. Even if it's not the first of its kind, it's always hard to know how to act about already-covered topics when venturing into a new message board. If you make a new post, people will tell you to use the search; if you drag up an old post, people will say you "necro"d it. Anyway...

Hmm, one of my favorite literary characters is Albine from Abbe Mouret's Transgression by Emile Zola. I don't have enough experience with specific perfumes to say which she'd wear, but I think it would be a floral heavy on indoles and light on aldehydes. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by hyacinthine; 19th September 2008 at 09:09 PM.

Well, I was reluctant to post a new entry, since I so enjoyed seeing an entry from someone other than myself. I say that sincerely!
    However, I like to keep this cork bobbing near the top so here is today's post. It is a bit different. While scanning various sources for perfume news... you know how it is, things pop up on the internet and you don't quite remember what path lead you there...
    I came across a blog which spoke of the "best woman's chypre that could be worn by a man" and it was Guerlain's Sous les Vent. That intrigued me. I love dry chypres immensely. This is a limited edition sort of scent, so I had to bide my time. Eventually I was in Toronto at the Guerlain boutique. I had such nice service there, that was the first time I'd been in an exclusive boutique. I got a chair, mineral water, exclusive consultation... I felt like a king! I asked after the SLV and by great good fortune they had a bottle. Someone had ordered it and then had decided not to buy it. So that bottle obviously was destined for me, or I for it. I love it, it is an excellent dry-aromatic green scent, kind of haunting and elusive.
    It was created in tribute to Josephine Baker, a famous Afro-American dancer in Paris in the 1920's. The scents reminded the perfumer of the Leeward Islands.
    That world and character is totally different from me. And yet in perfume all those worlds combine when I spritz it on. Life is amazing.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 21st September 2008 at 04:23 AM.
    odysseusm

I commend your tenacity, Odysseum. Well done.

Now...hmmmm. One of my favourite characters is Celine from the Linklater Before Sunrise/Before Sunset movies. But I have no idea what she would wear. Let me ponder. I think it would be something quirky, quiet, chic.

How about Jane Eyre? To me that'd have to be something passionate and impetuous, with a base of sensibility. Any suggestions?

Emma Woodhouse?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Lauren Bacall in "The Big Sleep" or "To Have or Have Not"... pure glamor, confident beauty.
    Here's an assertive scent, gentle but powerful, reconciling masculine and feminine notes in a charismatic way: Trussardi White (in the fancy bottle that looks like a hip flask Jay Gatsby would have carried). Leather, spice, orange blossom. Not to be taken lightly! Like Bacall.
    odysseusm

Today's tribute is to a great jazz pianist and vocalist, Shirley Horn. Wonderfully expressive and fluid instrumentalist, and a warm, hip, relaxed singer. Very focused, laid-back, quite unique.
    A scent that is suitable for her is a soliflore, Santal by Melvita. I suggested that on the men's side for her friend Miles Davis. The two artists shared an artistic minimalist sensibility that suits a single-note type fragrance; and the warm tones of this sandalwood fragrance perfectly match Horn's lovely deep voice.
    Cheers -- I'd love to hear some other suggestions!
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    I commend your tenacity, Odysseum. Well done.
    Emma Woodhouse?
    Ah yes. Emma might try to layer a number of fragrances unsuccessfully. I could also see her persuading herself into buying several wrong full bottles before finding her true HG. I can't think of what that would be at the moment, but it should have notes of hay and other quintessentially "English gentleman" notes.

One of my favorite heroines is Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. She is bright, lively, grounded, witty, independent-minded, value-driven, and admits her mistakes. I'd give her DelRae's Eau Illuminée because it is "light, bright, and sparkling."

Ah yes, one more favorite character is Margo Channing from the classic film All About Eve. Talk about great lines. She needs something suitable for a witty theatre diva that will help her through one of those "bumpy nights." Anyone?
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Your love is more delightful than wine.
    Pleasing is the fragrance of your anointing oils,
    your name is perfume poured out.
    Song of Songs 1:2-3
    Ayala Moriel Perfumes has a lovely scent, inspired by the love-poem of the Hebrew scriptures, Song of Songs (aka. Canticles or Song of Solomon). It has exotic, ancient elements such as rose, frankincense and myrrh.
    At one level, this Biblical book is a straight-forward romantic, even erotic poem between lovers. The young woman here is the archetype for any such person, in any time. This scent is a fitting tribute to her beauty and ardent yearning.
    At another level, the book is an allegory for the mystical journey that any person may seek to take...
    odysseusm

Well, I've exercised due diligence and can confidently report that the following tribute has never been offered on Basenotes!
    Mary Douglas, British anthropologist. Her book "Purity and Danger" is the classic study of rituals and concepts of purification in a variety of groups. She finds that such rituals symbolize the values of a group, and are a kind of sorting process.
    An appropriate scent -- Spiritus/Land by Miller & Bertaux. It has excellent incense notes, and incense is often used in purification rituals. Plus, I love the ginger rendition here, the best I have seen of this zesty root. The tonic/healing qualities of ginger fit well with the transformations symbolically associated with purificatory rites.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

Time for another Egyptian queen, by Seth!
    Who else but Cleopatra? An accomplished ruler, the first of her line in several generations to learn the Egyptian language of her people (her ancestors spoke Greek). She was a devotee of the goddess Isis. So in tribute to her love of the land and its people, Spiritus/Land by Miller & Bertaux is a good choice. Great incense notes, such as would be found in Philae and other temple sites to Isis. And the fresh, lively ginger-root note suits her personality I think.
    As lover of both Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony, she would have picked up some of their scent. I like to imagine a dry lemony-herbal chypre on those emperors, e.g., Goutal's Eau D'Hadrien.
    Cheers
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Your love is more delightful than wine.
    Pleasing is the fragrance of your anointing oils,
    your name is perfume poured out.
    Song of Songs 1:2-3
    Ayala Moriel Perfumes has a lovely scent, inspired by the love-poem of the Hebrew scriptures, Song of Songs (aka. Canticles or Song of Solomon). It has exotic, ancient elements such as rose, frankincense and myrrh.
    At one level, this Biblical book is a straight-forward romantic, even erotic poem between lovers. The young woman here is the archetype for any such person, in any time. This scent is a fitting tribute to her beauty and ardent yearning.
    At another level, the book is an allegory for the mystical journey that any person may seek to take...
    You know, I really enjoy reading Ayala Moriel's journal. I want to visit her shop as I'm just two states away. Her perfume idea are fantastic. Though, sadly, I have never smelled any of her works.
    Song of Solomon is so sexy, my goodness. Mouths smelling like honey & milk...

I will pick the lead in the book Shantaram. I choose the scent I have been wearing all day actualy Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier & the classic Bal a Versailles.

In the book he talks about the smell of India, & though Or des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier would make more sense concidering the name, it's a weaker version of Bal a Versailles & Indian smell is all about the strength.
    The animal stink of body after body pressed into a tiny space & the beauty of the earth & flowers more exqusit because of that is the Bal a Versailles. The temples, the women, the circles of friends smoking hash & burning insence, that is Santal Noble.

My favourite character is Sharon Stone allias Catherine Tramell in the Basic Instinct.
    She was so sensual and feminine and... sexy but still classy.
    Now I can imagine her wearing Allure Sensuelle, Aqua di Gio or Gaultier 2.

Today is a very special scent -- Green Water by Jacques Fath. It is a bold combination of very green and herbal notes, with an icy-cool counterpoint.

I think that the Greek goddess Persephone would be a good illustration. She symbolizes Spring and the growing season. However, when she spends time with her husband Hades she is in the cool dark underworld (and the earth lies dormant). So light/dark; warm/cool are part of her persona.
    odysseusm

I have a lot of favorite characters in books and movies, but I couldn't link any to just one scent.

That is, until, I read Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsen. I really think Isak (the main protagonist) would smell earthy. And I don't think he'd wear it, but I think he ought to smell like Neil Morris' Earthtones #3: North Woods.

And after she came back from Bergen, I guess I could see Inger wearing a Guerlain. But I can't say she's my "favorite character" in the book.

This one is really a blast from my past. I'm sure many have read a book that, in retrospect, they can say has changed their lives.
    Not to be too dramatic, but Shogun by James Clavell was that for me. So interesting, so historical, so dramatic! Such a window into Japanese culture (admittedly through Western eyes).
    The TV miniseries with Richard Chamberlain was pretty good, all things considered.

So in honour of Mariko, and Blackthorne, and Lord Toranaga, I propose Comme des Garcons' Kyoto, a woody-incense scent.
    Those romantic scenes between Lady Mariko and Blackthorne are so beautiful and sensitive and poignant.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 19th October 2008 at 02:58 AM.
    odysseusm

Today I'll offer a scent tribute to a lovely artist, sadly missed: Eva Cassidy. Go to youtube and view her take on "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"... heart-breakingly beautiful and poignant since she died a year later. So I'll link her with my favorite green scent, one of joy and hope and the vitality of nature: Geo. F. Trumper's Wild Fern. Eva, you live on in the love of your fans.
    Well done, Odysseusm! I read the entire thread in one sitting, and loved your insights, homages, and most of all, suggestions. I have to sample Wild Fern and Rainforest by Ayala now. Thanks so much for keeping this thread going.

A character I'm entranced by now is the movie version of Veronica Franco, the Poet-Courtesan of 16th century Venice. I haven't read the "The Honest Courtesan", a book about her life, but the movie depiction (Dangerous Beauty) is my alter ego, who I would have wanted to have been and what I would have wanted to do in that time and place - to write the wittiest of poetry, to have access to the best libraries of the time, the most glorious art, and to, yes, live on the edge, as she was forced to do.
    It made her expand, grow and reach, as she never would have had she married, as she originally wanted, but which was denied her. She became so much more beautiful than a pretty bird in a gilded cage.
    So what would this uncaged, transcendent bird of Venice wear? I thought of puns (Venezia, etc), but she deserves better than that.
    For l'amour, that classic one-and-only Shalimar, or deeper but beautiful Rose De Nuit by SL.
    For reading her poetry before an enchanted audience, the gilt-gold Baccarat Les Larmes Sacrees de Thebes extrait.
    For the darker times, the dangerous times, to give her power and strength: Djedi.
    Last edited by flathorn; 20th October 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Great thread! You mentioned Emily Carr. Emily Carr is from my home town. Her works are always darker and more sombre than what I associate the local scenery with, but they do generate a distinct aura of the deep woods. If I had to put a name to a fragrance to capture the mood of her paintings, I'd name CdG's Zagorsk.

Well here is a blast from my past.
    Marta, the Orion slave girl, does a memorable dance for Kirk and Spock in the Star Trek episode "Whom the Gods Destroy".
    The perfect scent for her -- Jacques Fath's amazing scent, Green Water! Watch the clip and you'll see why. Cool and warm at the same time, and color-wise... perfect!
    Cheers,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLQM8NKrHuw
    odysseusm

well, odyseussm, we have similar taste in women

I am so smitten with the scent I am sampling today, Amoureuse by Parfums delRae, that I found a woman to fit, rather than the other way round.

Bette Davis in Now Voyager....

because this scent reminds me of honeysuckles from my girlhood, and because the scent itself is so redolent and sensual, I think it fitting of Bette's character, who begins as a tightly wound, repressed creature and finds her unbuttoned, flamboyant and life loving self. The juice from the honeysuckle is sweet, but one makes effort to extract it.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 25th October 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Cool Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

[QUOTE=rtamara41;1340792]well, odyseussm, we have similar taste in women

Hah -- maybe we can get into a debate as to the purrr-fect TV Catwoman: Julie Newmar, Lee Meriweather, or Eartha Kitt. And a scent to accompany the winner! Any suggestions?
    odysseusm

Hah -- maybe we can get into a debate as to the purrr-fect TV Catwoman: Julie Newmar, Lee Meriweather, or Eartha Kitt. And a scent to accompany the winner! Any suggestions?
    Eartha Kitt is my favorite! Can't think of what would be just right though... Perhaps something spicy, like Caron's Poivre?

Switching to another femme fatale of the era, thinking of the character of Emma Peel from The Avengers... I decided Parfume d'Empire's Cuir Ottoman. A strong, robust and realistic leather fragrance with just a touch of florals that are feminine enough to be womanly.

Today's scent: Crabtree & Evelyn's Lavender Water. A lovely, simple scent, quite true to a sprig or nosegay of lavender.
    Today's character: Queen Victoria (1819-1901). She, and her era, fascinate me. So many literary and historical figures associated with that time: Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll), Arthur Conan Doyle, and Bram Stoker to name a few. Where would we be without Alice in Wonderland, Sherlock Holmes, and Dracula? Much poorer in imaginative literary characters. The era was one of great optimism and yet great class inequity, as Dickens showed. The TV series "Upstairs, Downstairs" also showed the late Victorian era (segueing into the Edwardian).
    Queen V probably liked the scent of lavender, and would have enjoyed smelling lavender and heather on her estate at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. Her time there after the death of Prince Albert is shown in an interesting movie, "Mrs. Brown" with Dame Judy Dench and Billy Connolly.
    odysseusm

Unhappy Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

Well, I'm saddened to hear that the incredible jazz/caberet singer Blossom Dearie has died.
    See this thread. http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223182

She had a very hip, ironic voice. Definitely a mistress of coy understatement.

What scent to offer in tribute to her?
    I think Roger & Gallet's Bouquet Imperiale -- a wispy light scent, yet with a haunting beauty.

Check out "my attorney Bernie" or "Peel me a grape".
    RIP
    odysseusm

Default Re: Your favorite character's scent!

odysseusm -- I'm impressed with your dedication to acknowledging female talent and I will definitely check out the Dearie tunes. Shirley Horn is a big favorite of mine -- I think of her voice as silvery (lemon? incense? lavender?), but I agree that sandalwood has a quintessential earthy hipness that works. I love Black Cat's match for Elizabeth Bennet -- yes, EI! I am going to start thinking about this game today -- first, maybe, trying to match something big and wild to Julie Newmar, one of my own adored role models when I was eight!

Back to Jane Austen - I watched PBS's adaptation of Sense & Sensibility last night. Eleanor Dashwood would smell like fresh sea air and wild flowers. I'm not sure what perfume that would be, however.

Blog Entries

Jane Austen characters bring to mind on of my favorites; Floris; Edwardian Bouquet but for the cool salty breeze I like Sud Pacific; Aqua Motu.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th February 2009 at 07:09 PM.

Even though this concept may not be "new" to you or to Basenotes, I would like to clarify I was the first person to actually interview and have published, real Perfumers for this story globally as well as for creating unknown perfumes for celebs who do not possess a perfume yet for Entertainment Magazine.

Marian Bendeth
    "Fragrance weaves a necklace of perfumed memories" M.B.
    "If perfume be the food of love, spray on' M.B.

Back to catwoman: I do vote for Julie Newmar and imagine her in Dzing.

For my lifelong girl-crush inspiration, Jane Eyre: Iris Taizo. Cool/warm, earthbound yet extravagant, and full of sexy radiance.

These are all so great! I'm enjoying these recent postings. It is such fun to use the imagination in this way.
    Cheers to you all!
    odysseusm

Hillaire

For the late, great Andrew Wyeth, I choose Guerlain's Imperiale. Simple, austere, begrudgingly urbane, and impeccable.

For Giotto, I choose Messe de Minuit. I can just imagine this so well.

For Fragonard, I choose Maitre's Secret Melange. A somewhat proper, yet suggestive, classically-styled, aristocratic fundamental.

For Pablo Picasso, Muscs Kublai Khan. Overpowering masculinity, legendary swagger.

For Anselm Kieffer, Knize Ten, urban, unprecedented, and dark.

I could go on...

Theodora, Byzantine empress and wife of emperor Justinian I-- Tabac Blond, for the first noted feminist

Scarlett O'Hara-- pre war, something floral; post war, something animalic

Viola from Twelfth Night-- I'm thinking an oud.

Odysseusm, I'd love your input on these, as I haven't smelled much and can't do this game justice (but it is fun )
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 10th February 2009 at 05:40 AM.

Blog Entries

This post is incredible Odysseusm! I'm enjoying reading all these wonderful posts, and I wonder about a favorite of mine.

Ginger Rogers. I grew up watching her dance across the screen with Fred Astaire. She did everything he did, but backwards wearing high heels, and he was an incredibly demanding perfectionist. She was the epitome of grace in my young eyes, but she was still funny and got good and mad when people tried to push her around. I can't describe her as eloquently as you guys would, but I had tremendous admiration for her.

I don't know enough perfume to pick one for her. A sophisticated floral, persistent and bright, with surprising notes. Any thoughts?

Thumbs up Re: Your favorite character's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Sillage6 View Post
    Even though this concept may not be "new" to you or to Basenotes, I would like to clarify I was the first person to actually interview and have published, real Perfumers for this story globally as well as for creating unknown perfumes for celebs who do not possess a perfume yet for Entertainment Magazine.

Marian Bendeth
    Exactly! Welcome to this thread, Marian. I'm delighted to acknowledge that your article inspired this thread for me. I hope everyone reads the first posting and sees that information. Many thanks for all your work on this! Best wishes.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Theodora, Byzantine empress and wife of emperor Justinian I-- Tabac Blond, for the first noted feminist

Scarlett O'Hara-- pre war, something floral; post war, something animalic

Viola from Twelfth Night-- I'm thinking an oud.

Odysseusm, I'd love your input on these, as I haven't smelled much and can't do this game justice (but it is fun )
    Well, thanks for asking, Sunnyfunny! I'm glad to put my 2 cents in.
    * Theodora. I'm thinking of the incredible Orthodox liturgies with all the incense, and the marvelous mosaics of Theodora and Justinian at Ravenna. So I'll suggest Incenso by i Profumi di Firenze, a great Italian incense scent.
    * Scarlett. I think there we have to go with Guerlain, who were making perfumes at the time the story would have taken place. Bouquet de l'Impératrice is listed as 1863 which is the probable date of the events (but that may be too new for Scarlett), but how about Extract of Fragnipani which is in the 1820's. I had thought of magnolias in the southern US, but Fragnipani blossoms will do.
    * Viola. Can't do better than Violetta di Parma by Borsari. A landmark treatment of violet: floral and yet earthy, beautiful and yet sober.
    How do these sound?
    odysseusm

Well, thanks for asking, Sunnyfunny! I'm glad to put my 2 cents in.
    * Theodora. I'm thinking of the incredible Orthodox liturgies with all the incense, and the marvelous mosaics of Theodora and Justinian at Ravenna. So I'll suggest Incenso by i Profumi di Firenze, a great Italian incense scent.
    * Scarlett. I think there we have to go with Guerlain, who were making perfumes at the time the story would have taken place. Bouquet de l'Impératrice is listed as 1863 which is the probable date of the events (but that may be too new for Scarlett), but how about Extract of Fragnipani which is in the 1820's. I had thought of magnolias in the southern US, but Fragnipani blossoms will do.
    * Viola. Can't do better than Violetta di Parma by Borsari. A landmark treatment of violet: floral and yet earthy, beautiful and yet sober.
    How do these sound?
    Your method is interesting, and totally different from mine,which is cool-- you are looking at time, place, and what was available at the time, yes? I'm looking at personality, character development, and what life threw at them at different times. I just wish I knew more fragrances! I think I need to try Incenso. Liturgical incense is beautiful.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 10th February 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Theodora -- now that would make a great name for a perfume. Has one ever ever existed?

Talking Re: Fantasy: Your favorite character's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Thanks for the link. The idea is not new at all, and as a newbie you might want to use that search button more often. Of course we have new people and new thoughts joined us since, however, we even had a Book of the Month club here not speaking about Hyacinth Bucket and others.

You know..I'm a relative newbie too and I think it's good to revisit great threads like this. So many people are new to Basenotes, and as you said, have new thoughts and ideas..I am so happy when fun posts like this occur..much more interesting and interactive than simply reading what others have already said on the subject in the past. Especially a subject like this, where there is no right answer! So thanks Odysseum. Cool.

Smile Re: Your favorite character's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Back to Jane Austen - I watched PBS's adaptation of Sense & Sensibility last night. Eleanor Dashwood would smell like fresh sea air and wild flowers. I'm not sure what perfume that would be, however.
    I'm thinking Lostmarc'h Ael Mat.