Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Montale's Aoud Leather and Lime - a mini review

This evening, I've been wearing Montale's Aoud Leather and Lime. The only site with any info on it is The Perfumed Court, from whom I also bought the decant. According to them, this is a new one from Montale. Compared to my decant of Montale's Greyland, I can see similarities in construction (though I'm a complete amateur). Montale's own website hasn't been updated since 2007, so there's no help there. Here are my impressions (I'd love to hear if anyone else has sampled this).

This is an unusual scent - the combo of leather and lime works nicely - and beautiful in its sillage. Next to the skin there's some "plastic" to the scent and it's not what I would call a pleasant smell - almost a bar stool kind of smell. The sillage is nice - it stays fairly close to the skin. The first 30 minutes are somewhat intense - it wasn't clear where the scent was going. Or if it would be likable once it arrived. Fortunately, it's very likeable after the topnotes wander off.

It starts out with a quick shot of clean lime, some leatherishness, and some syntheticy note that threatens to upset the lime cart. Give it time. Then,

It's a lovely leather with a single lime. It's not a dark leather or an armchair leather. Perhaps a box of new calfskin gloves? Occasionally, over the past couple of hours, the leather did turn "dark" for just a moment. Keeping life and interest to the scent.

Other than the initial shot of lime, the lime is not there if you try looking for it. Stop thinking about "lime" and you'll smell lime. It's almost like a memory of a lime or an aftertaste of lime. It's green, tart, light, and dry. You get the lime when you least expect it. It's not strong or powerful, but it's there. When not noticeable, it gives a lightness to the leather. There's something "clear" about this.

Occasionally, there's a whiff of clean smoke - not incense or cigarette smoke. Hard to describe. Maybe really hot, dry wood? Maybe this is the oud in the frag?

There's also a very light boozy aspect to it - a gin-and-tonic kind of thing, not a dark or heavy booze - that's really quite nice.

There's no floral, spice, sweet, or vanilla notes at all. A really refreshing change from what's out there.

This is probably one of the most interesting fragrances I've smelled in a while. It has a depth to it that seems rare these days. It is an eau de parfum. To me, it is a masculine scent. It's not really an office scent or an intimate scent. More of a formal night out kind of scent? I will wear this again to see how it behaves during a full day's wearing.

Having only tried two frags from Montale - this and Greyland - and liking both of them, I'm looking forward to trying more from Montale.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Default Re: Montale's Aoud Leather and Lime - a mini review

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Next to the skin there's some "plastic" to the scent and it's not what I would call a pleasant smell - almost a bar stool kind of smell.
    First off, thanks for the wonderfully detailed review

While I haven't tried ths Aoud Leather and Lime, I get this exact smell in Aoud Lime and to a lesser extent in Black Aoud too. I believe it's the medicinal character of Oud peeking up amidst the other notes. Needless to say, BA and AL both fared mediocre on my skin.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

excellent post Hoos! i have never heard of this one from Montale...isit Discontinued?

also, only one(atleast in their current lineup) Montale has Leather notes which are quite prominent, and it.s Cuir D'Arabie..combination of Leather+the inside of a smokin pipe+Oudh...

Basenotes Institution

Great review Hoos.

Yes, the 'plastic' smell is aoud. Give your nose some time to become attenuated to that note. It is featured in all of the Montale Aouds (that I have tried) and although some people say it smells like bandages, I think it smells slightly less medicinal on me and more 'industrial' (which IMO is a good thing).

I was turned off to Aoud Lime and Aromatic Lime by Montale, mostly because they both feature saffron. It turned my stomach slightly. This new one sounds exactly what I'm looking for. That is, if it's saffron less.

You need to try more Montale Aouds Hoos. Black Aoud, Aoud Queen Roses and Attar I highly recommend you sample.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th September 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks, mikeperez. I definitely got a "band-aid" note, too. So the band-aid/plastic note is aoud, huh? Interesting. I didnt' get any "medicinal" sense to the notes though.

I didn't care for Aoud Lime or Aromatic Lime either. But the leather/lime combo just sounded good to me. A completely blind buy (decant).

Jenson:

The only site with any info on it is The Perfumed Court, from whom I also bought the decant. According to them, this is a new one from Montale.
    I'm looking forward to giving it a full wear this weekend and will post more then. I appreciate the recommendations.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."