Code of Conduct

Default A Tribute to Jacques Cavallier Male Scents.

In my opinion a very impressive list
    I omitted the female ones as the post would be removed in a heartbeat(!)

Alexander McQueen Kingdom

Bvlgari Aqua Pour Homme Marine (for him)

Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme (for him)

Bvlgari Bvlgari Extreme (for him)

Bvlgari Bvlgari Pour Homme (for him)

Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Blanc (for her and him)

Calvin Klein Truth

Cartier Pasha Cartier (for him)

Diesel Fuel for Life Homme (for him)

Dior Midnight Poison

Ermenegildo Zegna Essenza di Zegna (for him)

Fendi Theorema Uomo (for him)

Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men (for him)

Giorgio Armani Mania

Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme (for him)

Issey Miyake L'eau d'Issey

Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (for him)

Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense (for him)

Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique

Jil Sander Sander for Men (for him)

Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet (for him)

Rochas Aquaman (for him)

Van Cleef & Arpels Zanzibar (for him)

Yves Saint Laurent M7 (for him)

Yves Saint Laurent Nu

Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme (for him)

Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (for him)
    Last edited by afraafra; 12th September 2008 at 07:58 AM.

Default Re: A Tribute to Jacques Cavallier Male Scents.

*whistles* ~ what an impressive portfolio

I’d just add M7 Fresh and CK Man.
    Yes, Jacques Cavallier is an extremely prolific perfumer and, without any doubt, my favorite nose. I have 14 scents he created in my collection and that says enough, I believe.
    However, maybe we should say that he made some of the mentioned fragrances in cooperation with other great perfumers: Alberto Morillas (Truth, Essenza di Zegna, M7, Zanzibar…), Annick Menardo (F4L), Harry Fremont (CK Man)...
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 12th September 2008 at 03:34 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Cavallier has a solid resume and close ties with Morillas. He lacks a distinct signature style, but thats probably good. He can impress with the groundbreaking gaudiness of M7, do an Ellena with au The Blanc, compose a restrained Lutens with Opium pour homme, or just plain turbo charge a genre with Rive gauche pour homme.
    -

an underrated one is - Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme (for him)..what an Aura this scent exudes...

That is an impressive list. The variety also impresses me. I have nine of the ones you mentioned, and to go from Bulgari Aqua to Fendi Theorema to Cartier Pasha to YSL Rive Gauche, M7, and Opium is quite a spread of styles!

Basenotes Institution

I have learned one thing from his scents - either I love them, or I hate them. I never feel indifferent about his scents. Which, IMO, is a good thing.

Just a quick question here about Cavallier's scents. With Rive Gauche Pour Homme and M7 , I had always thought that they were "done" by Tom Ford. Was Tom Ford just part of a creative panel ? Or did I read something incorrectly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Just a quick question here about Cavallier's scents. With Rive Gauche Pour Homme and M7 , I had always thought that they were "done" by Tom Ford. Was Tom Ford just part of a creative panel ? Or did I read something incorrectly ?

the creative panel. RG for instance was a classic.. by YSL in 70's thye got it back..the decison was TF's ....it;s just like how Loris Azzaro was the creative force behind the release of Chrome...

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    the creative panel. RG for instance was a classic.. by YSL in 70's thye got it back..the decison was TF's ....it;s just like how Loris Azzaro was the creative force behind the release of Chrome...

Thanks, this does make sense. I was not sure if Tom Ford became a perfumer himself and took on the role of actually making those YSL scents. So essentially Cavallier and whomever assisted him are the ones who composed the perfumes ( and who are in many ways risk-taking in making such bold perfumes ).

I suppose I had thought YSL would have their own perfumer, much like Chanel does with Polge. Cavallier seems to work under many designer names.

Basenotes Institution

From what I remember hearing 'through the grapevine' Tom Ford had a lot of say on the YSL scents that were released during his tenure with YSL. He had a lot to do with the smell, the bottle, the ads, etc. Same goes for his involvements at Gucci, Lauder and now on his own. Except for 'blending' the fragrance - he's not a perfumer.

Didn't he also do Acqua di Gio?

Anyway - I think Cavallier is a genius. L'Eau d'Issey is a work of genius and amazing subtlety and imagination. In the 15 years that have followed there still isn't anything else that smells like it. And his lack of a signature style shows him to be someone who just loves smells, period.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by rodent View Post
    Didn't he also do Acqua di Giò?
    No, that was Alberto Morillas.

I thought Cavallier may have done the original women's Acqua di Gio, but don't take my word for this.

Well, I am wrong . I now think it is Francoise Caron who did Acqua di Gio for women.

In any event, Cavallier's mens scents are very decent overall. I am not too crazy about Miyake because of it's status as a big time seller, but the man knows how to create. I am sure not all the scents he makes are what he deems as good, but he works for designers and puts out what they want essentially.

My fav's are Bvlgari Pour Homme, M7 ( but too timid to buy a bottle and wear it) and Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Well, I am wrong . I now think it is Francoise Caron who did Acqua di Gio for women.

In any event, Cavallier's mens scents are very decent overall. I am not too crazy about Miyake because of it's status as a big time seller, but the man knows how to create. I am sure not all the scents he makes are what he deems as good, but he works for designers and puts out what they want essentially.

My fav's are Bvlgari Pour Homme, M7 ( but too timid to buy a bottle and wear it) and Rive Gauche Pour Homme.
    I think that creating something that is both strikingly original (like Miyake) and wildly successful makes him a double genius. Would you hold back on praise for Mozart because he's popular?

Forgot about Bulgari PH, that is a genius work as well.

I have alot of respect for this man, from the groundbreaking L'eau d'Issey , the super romantic POEME , the exotic fresh Zanzibar & the well crafted OPIUM PH up to M7 & RG ....I always search for his name & had owned most of his creations in my wardobe ... they were unique with a niche edge.

However his recent launched are tend to be more commercial nothing has moved me starting from Bulgari Aqua, YSL Elle, Nina... & the other boring recent lanches???? since 2002 & I skipped his production & still loyal to his exceptional originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    It would appear that Mr. Cavallier thinks otherwise. follow this link:

http://www.newarabia.net/Calvin_Klein_interview.php

Quote Originally Posted by rodent View Post
    It would appear that Mr. Cavallier thinks otherwise. follow this link:

http://www.newarabia.net/Calvin_Klein_interview.php
    Thanks Rodent great article, well well, I can see a great debate brewing .

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    It was a collaborative effort. At least that is my understanding.