Code of Conduct

Default A Perfume from Ancient Greece

I love Diptyque perfumes. Diptyque seems to be able to capture notes from natural souces, which have never been captured before. Diptyque perfumes have notes from herbs and plants that are difficult to find in other perfumes. They are truly original in that sense. The perfumes may be linear, but are beautiful nonetheless.

So, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with Eau Lente. This perfume is based on a description of a perfume from Ancient Greece, during the time of Alexander The Great. I am obssessed with this historical period, so I thought I would also love a perfume from this era. I recently bought a bottle of Eau Lente, and I was right.... it is delicious: a mixture of spices and a strong note of opoponax. It lasts a very long time and is quite wearable. If you are as fascinated as I am with that period in history, you should definitely try this perfume.

Lucius

Default Re: A Perfume from Ancient Greece

I'm an Eau-Lente-enthusiast, too. Have worn it twice during this week. I wanted to add it to the not-to-sweet-oriental-list in a recent thread. On me it performs very well in the heat. Very compelling fragrance!

But I have always been a bit sceptical about this ancient recipe. In fact it's, to me, as obscure as any "spectacular" marketing out there (Creed being just another example).

Basenotes Institution

One has to really like opoponax, to like Eau Lente. I found out, I don't like opoponax prominent scents. It just kind of drove me a little nuts when I wore it, and I tried it 3 or 4 times.

Yeah, I agree, it is probably just marketing... Does anyone have more information about the Eau lente recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    I'm an Eau-Lente-enthusiast, too. Have worn it twice during this week. I wanted to add it to the not-to-sweet-oriental-list in a recent thread. On me it performs very well in the heat. Very compelling fragrance!

But I have always been a bit sceptical about this ancient recipe. In fact it's, to me, as obscure as any "spectacular" marketing out there (Creed being just another example).

Historical scents are an interest of mine. I've tried Eau Lente but that was in a shop with many other scents, I'll have to try it again. I'm not a fan of orientals... opoponax and spice don't immediately recommend themselves to me. But in the interest of research I'll try it. Thanks for the note.
    Eau d'Hadrien (whether it is historical or not) has an "air" of history about it and I like a lemony-herbal chypre style very much.
    I've posted a thread about matching historical figures with scents. In it, I mention an article which tells how several perfumers created a scent style for such figures. Julius Caesar got the chypre style I've mentioned.
    The author of the article (Marian Bendeth) graciously gave me permission to cite her article and supplied the link, here it is:
    http://www.nationalpost.com/story.ht...c-237c6e2286b0

BTW – Marian is a contributor to Basenotes. She is doing an excellent series, titled “Scent Trek” in which she interviews the big names in the industry -- Ellena, Tauer, Roudnitska, Villoresi… you get the picture – about their inspirations and philosophy. Check it out!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 13th September 2008 at 10:01 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Thanks, Dimitrios, thats very interesting!