Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions to Improve Collection

Dear friends,

I think I have finally completed my perfume collection. Now I have 50 full bottles, many samples, 7 attars and 10 essential oils. I think I'll impose myself a limit of 50 bottles, so I'll have to swap one in order to buy another. I thank you all for the reviews, for the suggestions, for the samples, and for the time you've dedicated to help me improve my collection.

My wardrobe is still not updated, so I'll list the perfumes here. Please make some comments about this collection. Do you think it has perfumes from all the most important categories? Is there anything very important missing in it? Tell me what you think....please be honest.

Lucius
    ----------------------------------------
    Collection of Full Bottles:

Habit rouge
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Heritage
    Zino
    Shalimar
    Mitsouko
    Vol de Nuit
    Hammam Bouquet
    L'Ombre Dans L'Eau
    Tam Dao (boosted)
    Eau Lente
    Meharees
    Bois du Portugal
    Bois de Cedrat
    Ambre Sultan
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Knize Ten
    Polo Green
    Equipage
    Eau D'Hermes
    Jardin sur Le Nil
    Jardin en Mediterranee
    Chanel PM
    Chanel PMC
    Antaeus
    Azzaro
    Dunhill Edition
    English Lavender
    Kenzo Eau
    Captain Molyneux
    Greenergy
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Bvlgari Eau de Thee Verte
    Pino Silvestre
    Eau de Rochas
    Maxim's
    Mugler Cologne
    Monsieur Balmain
    Loewe pour homme
    Habanita
    M7
    Kouros
    Eau D'Orange Verte Concentree
    Armani Eau
    Boucheron EDP
    Eau D'Hadrien
    Cacharel PH
    Eau Sauvage
    Acqua di Parma
    L'Occitan
    Extra Vieille
    Avignon
    Lanvin L'Homme
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 13th September 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Default Re: Suggestions to Improve Collection

Holy Moly I think you've just covered the whole note spectrum. Maybe some Clive Christian X to top it off Just kidding.

What no MKK, Kiehl's, Musc Ravageur ???
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I bought Meharees, in an attempt to substitute for Musc Ravageur.....so I have at least one Musk perfume.

But I don't have MKK and Kiehl's.....Surreality, give me some information about these two. Why do you believe they are important? How do you describe them?

Surreality, where did you buy your MKK? It is very difficult to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Surreality, where did you buy your MKK? It is very difficult to find it!
    I think you'll have to find a friend overseas that would be willing to middle-man a bell jar. Other than that, I think ebay is the only other option! Damn that exclusivity crap.

I have the SL rep at the Vegas Barney's on the lookout for Borneo 1834 and to call me as soon as it arrives
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thanks, jrd4t. I read reviews of MKK and it seems to be an extreme musk, an over the top animalic fragrance. I love animalic notes and I am very interested in it. Is there any basenoter from Europe who could buy it for me? Send me a PM!
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 13th September 2008 at 08:14 PM.

Perhaps some Woody Orientals:

Jaipur Homme
    Obsession for Men
    Egoiste
    Tea for Two
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Caveat: I am not familiar with a lot of men's scents, so please excuse my ignorance if this is a total blunder.

I don't see anything (that I recognize) that feels like Fahrenheit, Dzing, or Bulgari Black. Maybe it's the benzoin note (?).

Just a thought. I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I bought Meharees, in an attempt to substitute for Musc Ravageur.....so I have at least one Musk perfume.

But I don't have MKK and Kiehl's.....Surreality, give me some information about these two. Why do you believe they are important? How do you describe them?
    As far as musks go I think that Muscs Koublai Khan is in a league of its own. It is a powerful, slighly smoky and animalic musk blended with a deep dark rose and a little oakmoss and cistus. It is unlike anything I have smelled (and in no way smells of unwashed genitals, homeless person drenched in rose or any of the other outlandish but entertaining descriptions I've seen on BN). Kiehl's is a cleaner, brighter and much less complex musk than MKK but nonetheless it is still a very good perfume and a good representation of classic musk perfumes.

I purchased my MKK on eBay from a reputable dealer, brand new and unopened. It comes along occasionally I've seen it sell from between $240 and $280.
    Last edited by surreality; 13th September 2008 at 09:16 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Looks like you need a few woody orientals.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Perhaps some Woody Orientals:

Jaipur Homme
    Obsession for Men
    Egoiste
    Tea for Two
    I don't think a collection can be "complete" without Giorgio for Men in it - right TwoRoads?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

That's a great list!

That's a nice collection, but nothing from L'Artisan, MPG, Lorenzo Villoresi or Parfums d'Empire? I'd suggest you give these four houses some attention if you haven't already done so!

Folks,I don't think in terms of houses, but in terms of categories/notes....so that's why I don't have perfumes from all the best niche houses. And of course, I have a limited budget....

It's quite a wonderful collection, very tasteful. One I'd add would be the original Dunhill for Men, perhaps the finest leathery floral-fougere ever. I'd also add a sharp traditional EdC - your Extra Vieille is a great one with a neroli-focus, Guerlain Imperiale or Farina Gegenüber have quite a different vibe within the classic EdC spectrum. But these are very fine distinctions viewed from a distance.

A lime scent? Trumper's West Indian, straight up, or Crown/Anglia Spiced Limes for amazing citrus sophistication. Signoricci (vintage?) is another gentlemanly citrus worth looking into, though your Boucheron is very good indeed.

Tobacco? Vintage Tabarome. As you like rose, Domenico Caraceni would be worth a try, too

A oriental incense? Avignon is very Roman Catholic to me, Amouage Dia or Villoresi's Incensi put incense in a more mid-Eastern context, which I think you'd like.

I'll go out on a limb and say that d'Orsay's Arome 3 belongs in every wardrobe . As does Patou pour homme. And R de Capucci.

An Iris fragrance - SL Iris silver Mist, TDC Bois d'Iris, Hermes Hiris?

Something boozy? Idole de Lubin comes to mind.

Finally, an Oud is now de rigeur on basenotes I think . but perhaps your oils have that covered.

But really, your collection doesn't need improvement. It's all a question of just how far one wishes to take the madness .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

I don't know all of these, but what is your leather/rubber scent? And your dark tea scent?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Tea for Two
    Aramis Aramis
    Caron The Third Man
    Montana Parfume d'Homme (Red Box)
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

The tea scent is Bvlgari The Verte.
    The leather scent is Habanita, Knize ten, antaeus. I hate rubber!

no jicky

PS, could substitute Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Last edited by Asha; 14th September 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Not a fan of gourmand notes? If you're interested perhaps check out:

Bond No 9 New Haarlem
    Rochas Man
    A*Men or A*Men Pure Coffee
    Yohji Homme (discontinued)

Basenotes Institution

I agree with t_g_l - you need a serious iris fragrance Lucius.

Drop the M7 bottle (which IMO, becomes obsolete when you start really venturing into the aoud oils like you are now), and get something like Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens, Dior Homme by Christian Dior, Iris Bleu Gris by MPG, Infusion d'Homme by Prada, Iris 39 by Le Labo or L'Homme Couer by Divine.

Iris fragrances shouldn't be blind bought - so...sample, sample, sample!

Regardless, you have a great collection Lucius.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th September 2008 at 02:10 AM.

Another great iris fragrance is L'Artisan's Dzonghka. It has a lot of other things going on of course, but the iris is pretty dominant to my nose, and it's a great fragrance. My second iris choice would be MPG's Iris Bleu Gris, but I've not sampled the SL.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't think a collection can be "complete" without Giorgio for Men in it - right TwoRoads?

You're right of course, it is just that I am starting to get concerned about wearing out the g,m,f,i,o,e,r,n keys on my keyboard!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

woody oriental with a bite = Costume National Scent Intense.

Woody/oriental = Timbuktu...

either way a very mature, beautiful collection
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

bbBD, I don't like the gourmands very much, that's why I didn't buy a bottle.

I am seriously considering buying a woody oriental (possibly Jaipur), and getting rid of M7. I'll try to get MKK also, and will sample Iris fragrances. I already have too many citrus/lemon/lime perfumes, so I won't buy any more of those. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 14th September 2008 at 04:08 AM.

That really is a great collection. Up my alley anyway. Everyone's suggestions seem well thought out and spot on. It's always nice to get another perspective.

I'll add:
    Racquets Formula
    Lp9 (if it ever comes back)
    Bandit
    Cravache (though you sort of have this covered, It has some unique qualities)
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

To me the most glaring omission is that of a strong, masculine musk. With that in mind please allow me to advance a suggestion for a musk that gets little to no discussion around here, which is a shame because I have recently fallen in love with it.

i Profumi di Firenze Muschio Nero

From Perfume Court:

"Just steps away from the Piazza della Signoria in Florence lies the tiny Spezierie Erboristerie Palazzao Vecchio which houses the incredible line of i Profumi di Firenze. This line is an all non-synthetic line inspired by the original formulas of the XVI century, commissioned to the Florentine cosmetic artisans by Caterina de Medici. They are all handmade. Perfumer and chemist Dr. Giovanni di Massimo found these recipes on an original manuscript buried in the mud after the big flood in Florence in 1966. The majority of these fragrances are not distributed in the United States and this is the only location in which to purchase them. Muschio Nero (Black Musk) is a gorgeous deep musk with notes of musk, opium and legno amaro (bitter wood). This one is absolutely spectacular!! It is an eau de parfum, edp."

Mostly marketing trash I'm sure, but the intriguing thing to me is how this musk does so much with so few notes. Let me get the easy part for me out of the way. Longevity is superb, easy 12-14 hours with strong detectability. I'm not really that confident wearing musks yet and the projection for this is perfect for me: It's more of an aura scent that you detect within a 2-3 foot bubble. It's not a screamer but those close to you will know you are wearing it.

Now the hard part, the notes. My nose isn't as refined as other's so I'm sure other members here would be able to pick the notes out far better than I. First, it's not a sweet musk at all. Rich, creamy and sensual yes, but there is not vanialla here which I love. There is a slightly bitter, almost anise like note in the beginning, this is the opium. Had I not smelled it before I would be going nuts trying to identify the note. I'm not sure how they re-created the smell, but they did a damn good job. This note stays consistently detectable for the first hour then weaves in and out for the rest of the fragrances life on my skin, so I hesitate to call it a top note. The rest of the fragrance is a mystery to me, as the woods and musk blend together so harmoniously that it makes analysis of the individual notes challenging for me .With further wearings I'm sure I'll be up to describing it better but for now I can only beg that you sample it and see for yourself.

If you want an aggressive musk like MKK, this will not suit you. But if you want to try a musk that gives off a more contemplative vibe and feels old without feeling dated (if that makes sense) then I recommend it

A lovely collection Lucius. I'd be curious if you'd enjoy Annick Goutal Sables and/or Dior Eau Noir. Black Aoud perhaps? I am sure you've tried them but having read what you've written to date, I could imagine you enjoying any of the three of those immensely Not that you need to add anything, of course

I'd recommend Tea for Two instead of the Bvlgari. Have you tried Tea for two?

No, never tried tea for two......I'll look for it!

Nice collection, Lucius. Very heavy on the classics, but there's certainly no fault in that.

I agree with the above suggestions that a musk and an iris are in order. I find it difficult to wear full-on musks such as MKK in public, but prefer it as a basenote that develops over time. Two that fit that bill for me are Himalaya, which I suspect you wouldn't care for, and Iskander, which I believe you would. As for iris, I second Dior Homme (I'm starting to feel like a Diorvangelist, preaching its virtues in practically every post) and Bois d'Iris. The former having more going on, with woods and leather, and the latter being a nearly straight-up bone dry iris. Or for the total iris experience, I second Iris Silver Mist, althoughI personally find it a bit too floral and powdery.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Very nice collection!

But maybe a white soliflore, like Un Lys or A la Nuit? And a darker take on natural smelling rose perhaps?
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Hi Pelle, I have white flower essential oils. I tried n.88 but I didn't like it very much...I prefer the rose in Hammam Bouquet and LOmbre Dans Leau.....

Great collection Lucius ,, but consider expanding it to 60
    I agree with those that mention the woody Orientals
    Jaipur - Obsession are keepers .
    also Giorgio ..... as TwoRoads would agree every collection should include this one .
    & I would also suggest two that havn't been mentioned yet .
    Nino Cerruti PH & Iquitos if you haven't tried them yet .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post

I'll go out on a limb and say that d'Orsay's Arome 3 belongs in every wardrobe . As does Patou pour homme. And R de Capucci.
    Is the re-released R de Capucci 1ounce the same as the original one? Are there many differences? I was a bit underwhelmed by the new release.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962