Code of Conduct

Default Coco Chanel movie on Lifetime

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but Lifetime/LIFE is showing a movie about Coco Chanel, starring Shirley MacLaine as the older Coco. It aired this evening (the 13th), and according to IMDb, it will air again Sunday evening and Monday evening.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Coco Chanel movie on Lifetime

I just watched this, and I loved it, despite a boatload of flaws. Even at 3 hours on TV, it really didn't cover all of her life. Shirley does a nice job with the few minutes she is given, but kudos really belong to Barbora Bobulova, the young Coco.

Here is one very on-target review. The criticisms are all fair, IMO, although the reviewer clearly didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I agree - history definitely took a back seat to feeling. Note that fashion is defined by selected chunks of Coco's sense, dragged out at various points to show her drive. I thought that perfume fans were truly slighted by the script. If the movie shows all that Chanel did for no.5, then her name should be taken off the stuff. They should have given it at least a little more time.

There is good coverage of the movie and Chanel herself on Wikipedia. It sounds like this flick got the facts right. And it sounds like more movies are coming, including one with Demi Moore. Let's hope that one does more to serve the perfumaniacs!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I just watched this, and I loved it, despite a boatload of flaws. Even at 3 hours on TV, it really didn't cover all of her life. Shirley does a nice job with the few minutes she is given, but kudos really belong to Barbora Bobulova, the young Coco.
    I was wondering how Shirley did. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Great synopsis, Redneck Perfumisto -- and The Boston Globe review is pretty spot-on. Thanks for posting the links. I sat down for the end of the first airing and then stayed for the beginning of the second (grabbing my laptop for the usual geeky fact-checking). I completely agree about the perfume aspect.

(I think I would be more interested in the Audrey Tautou movie than a Demi Moore one!)
    Last edited by tang; 14th September 2008 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo
    Sniff and let sniff.

Thanks for the reminder; I'll tune in this evening..

I kinda liked it. In a way it seemed like it was more of a story about a woman with a dream who made it big rather than of a story about Chanel herself.

I've been eying up some books on her namely this one. Anyone else read it?

I was a little disappointed that there was so little Shirley when it seemed from the ads that she was the star. Practically her whole performance was in the previews..

I haven't seen it yet (I'm planning to tape it tonight so I can fwd through all of Lifetime's commercials), but I do wonder if the show could up the sale of Chanel products (and, of course, I mean fragrance, particularly Coco)? Maybe hard to know. Maybe we'll start smelling Coco all over the place.

From the ads it does seem like Shirley was going to get more screen time. And Tang, I also think Audrey Tatou would be the proper Coco. I can't quite wrap my head around the possibility of Demi Moore's portrayal.

My son, while rapidly surfing with the remote tonight & catching a glimpse of the logo in the corner: "Doesn't the Coco Channel play ANY other movies?!"
    Last edited by tang; 16th September 2008 at 03:17 AM.

I missed it, but then I also didn't try very hard to make time for it. The argument in my head went something like, "It's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime channel! But it's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime..." Sad to hear there wasn't much of a focus on the perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by hyacinthine View Post
    "It's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime channel! But it's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime..."
    LOL! My friend and I have a running joke about that - Lifetime, the channel that makes men wish they'd never been born

I recorded the movie thinking it would be interesting, but the few bits that I saw while I was wandering in and out of the room really did not appeal to me so I'm probably not going to waste 3 hours of my life watching the tape. Mostly it just seemed rather depressing, and I am not too keen on depressing movies

As for scents, I only saw one bit with perfume in it, where she dabbed some No. 5 on her niece to complete the girl's "outfit" before allowing her to leave for her party or whatever it was. Maybe there were other scenes, but that was the only one I happened to see in passing.
    I'll ask the gardeners what they call / the many flowers, so that in the small crocks /
    of their lovely proper names I can bring back / remnants of the hundred fragrances.
    - Rilke, Requiem for a Friend

Quote Originally Posted by hyacinthine View Post
    I missed it, but then I also didn't try very hard to make time for it. The argument in my head went something like, "It's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime channel! But it's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime..."
    :giggle: Me three!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by diavoletto View Post
    LOL! My friend and I have a running joke about that - Lifetime, the channel that makes men wish they'd never been born
    LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Me four.

I taped it but just can't seem to bring myself to watch it yet even if I get to fwd through all the commercials and annoying parts. I mean, Lifetime. It may stay in my DVR cue for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hyacinthine
    "It's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime channel! But it's about Chanel! But it's on the Lifetime..."
    This was exactly my thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Ok, me five, but I got hooked into it anyways. I don't watch much TV, and Lifetime is not my usual fare. I was reminded of why when I was subjected to the promos for their next over-the-top drama, The Governor's Wife.

IMO, the movie wasn't insufferably cheesy, but the typical Lifetime love story treatment overshadowed the Chanel story. The historical details were interesting enough, as were the brief moments hinting at her inspirations for clothing design.

** Spoiler Alert **
    (Highlight the space below to read about the very brief perfume scenes.)

As for the perfume aspect, it looked as though she chose the future Chanel No. 5 on the spur of the moment from a chest of perfumer's samples:

<Coco selects the first bottle and sniffs it.>
    <Coco selects the second bottle and sniffs it.>
    <Coco selects the bottle lying in the 5th position, sniffs it, and exclaims: "THIS one!">
    <Perfumer asks: "What will you call it?">
    <Coco looks at the bottle, says: "Number 5? Chanel No. 5!">

Besides this and the scene with her niece, I believe Chanel perfume is referenced only one other time: when Coco's business partner frets about losing sales in the perfume line which was apparently the only thing keeping the Chanel house afloat at that time (mid-50's?).

** End Spoiler **

I think if anything, the movie may spark some interest in Chanel clothing (e.g., the chain-lining detail; the LBD; the last scene showing some 1950's designs I wouldn't mind wearing today). I'm guessing that the perfume line won't see much of a surge.
    Sniff and let sniff.