Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: “I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender.” Mainstreams that coulda been N

Sometimes I think of making a thread called "Niches that could have been YSL products."

Speaking very casually, and thus blurring the lines defining niche and designer, I think niche means some kind of unusualness that at an extreme can be outrageous or statement making in some different way. I think YSL Pour Homme would easily fit under the L'Artisan roof, Kouros under the lean-to canopy of Etat Libre d'Orange maybe, and M7 under the MPG roof, for example. There are some more I can't think of right away. Nu edp would be made by one of those very small houses with a nifty name that were just incorporated yesterday. The ones that sell very expensive scents with nifty names for bourgeois fantasies of bohemianism.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: “I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender.” Mainstreams that coulda been N

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    We have a few blurry definitions of the term "niche fragrance," but what exactly is the proper definition? I think our analysis will be very blurry unless we nail down a proper definition and then go from there.

The formal definition of the term "niche" is the following: a submarket that emerges to provide a product that the mainstream market is not addressing. Now, by definition a "niche" can outgrow itself once it influences the mainstream market, as it will not longer be considered "niche" because it is part of the mainstream market. I think an interesting question is what fragrances were "niche" but have evolved and become part of the mainstream market thus losing their "niche" status?
    BTW, the definition of "niche" that I submitted was from the Webster's Dictionary sitting in the library in my office so I did not just make that up, it is the actual definition. I just figured if we had a definition then it would further this discussion.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 16th September 2008 at 04:02 AM.

vezatron

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    BTW, the definition of "niche" that I submitted was from the Webster's Dictionary sitting in the library in my office so I did not just make that up, it is the actual definition. I just figured if we had a definition then it would further this discussion.
    Since Guerlain is now part of the LVMH empire perhaps only their pre-1994 work would be niche?

I've said before (so many members will please forgive me for repeating myself) that ownership or not, Guerlain and Caron fill a grey area. They are huge market suppliers in most department stores just like designer stuff, but they're only makers of things for the nose, just like niche houses.

Also they're very old houses, and who could blame them for building themselves up into the master powerhouses of manufacturing and worldwide supply they've made themselves into since the industrial revolution? They're houses who have made things just for the nose, and made themselves to top of their games through one hundred years of marketplace life.

I evaluate their products against niche houses when I mentally process them though, because like niche houses they make things only for the nose.

Just my way of working with the words, the hazy definitions, and the times.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

HELMUT LANG CUIRON

as good as ANY niche scent i've ever smelled. It was so limited in production that some could argue it almost was a niche scent.

Ed Hardy Man, Yatagan, 3rd Man, L'Anarchist, New West.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 16th September 2008 at 11:33 PM.

Why make the distinction? Enjoy them for what they are!

Personal taste as we all know is across the board so "niche" as in a product that smells better than the rest isn't a viable category. Niche in terms of quality of craftsmanship and oils used is another story. Chanel, Rochas, Estee Lauder/Aramis, Bulgari, Cartier Dior, Guerlain, YSL, Hermes, Boucheron and some others are houses that construct their fragrances with more attention than other outlets/houses. Each have at least one fragrance that can hold its own against the niche labels. Before the monster that is LVMH spawned and ate up the world 3 of the aformentioned houses where in a better place.

Many of the older fragrances (pre-1990) are of niche caliber. Today's industry juggernaut, demanding a new scent every month doesn't allow for fine classics to be put out. Perhaps Montale and Lutens should offer a word regarding the rapid production of niche fragrances.

An alternative question that is of interest is which niche fragrances should hang up the gloves, lower their prices and step into the department store weight class where they belong?

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 17th September 2008 at 02:59 AM.

I know few will agree, but I think that had Prada Amber been released by a niche company it would be heralded as a fantastic, unique entity.

I wore L'Occitane Eau des Baux yesterday. Not only was it as high quality and rich as any niche I've worn, it lasted 18 hours on my skin.

Depending on whether you consider the Chanel Exclusifs 'niche' or not, they could nearly all be included (I consider them niche because of the low availability, low distribution, and high cost).

Everso mentioned Cuiron, I agree with him and add in Helmut Lang EDC/EDP.

and oh yes, Dior Homme... beauty in a bottle. I realized when I wore it last week that I go through a substantial amount (5ml+) every day I wear it because of over-applying and re-applying. There's nothing I love to have eminating from myself more than this.

Prada Amber gets my vote, so does Gucci PH. Love both of those just as much as any of the niche I've got.