Code of Conduct

Default Anyone Tried Tokyo Milk??

I'm intrigued by this line, and the prices ($28 an ounce) are very reasonable. Has anyone tried any of them? What did you think?

Default Re: Anyone Tried Tokyo Milk??

Well, no, but I got intrigued too and when my bottle of Let Them Eat Cake (I'm on a vanilla jag) arrives I will let you know!!!

Enabler!!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yes, that one sounds good, so does Contemplation!

OK. Let Them Eat Cake is a fun vanilla - light with a touch of green (Notes: Sugar Cane - Coconut Milk - Vanilla Orchid - White Musk.) The musk is understated and the coconut faintly discernible. Doesn''t have the tooth-achy sweetness of a macaroon. Medium sillage and not bad lasting power...two or three hours at most.

On the basis of this one experiment - I'd make a comparison with Demeter. But the bottle's more fun - a clear elongated cube with a shiny high silver hat. The 'fume is clear, too, and on the back of the label - visible through the liquid - is a fancy four color cake!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Oh man, Anak makes me want to try Honey and the Moon!

(http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=213979)

Hmmm Let Them Eat Cake also sounds good. Dear Enabler, where did you get it?

I just tried a few of Tokyo Milk frags while at a boutique in Cambria. While they didn't get full wearings, what I did smell was pretty impressive given the price.

The ingredients smell of pretty good quality, and they are done with a light (but not too light) hand.

French Kiss: a lighter tuberose/gardenia fragrance. Nicely done.

Dead Sexy: Deep vanilla, exotic woods, white orchid and ebony. A bit sweet/vanillic for my relatively austere tastes, but those of you who have a sweetish tooth, you might really enjoy this. It's on the light but pleasant side.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I posted about these when I ran into them a month or so ago. I bought Waltz--true rose dominated, suprisingly longlasting. I would suggest a "spritz and go to dinner" test before purchase...I liked several others initially, but was disappointed/and or vaguely nauseated by the drydown.

The Tokyo Milk line is available at Beauty Habit (beautyhabit.com).
    I've tried Let Them Eat Cake and I agree with Taolady's review except for one thing..I found it a tiny bit plasticky.
    I've also sniffed I Want Candy which is a terrific sugary sweet make your teeth rot movie theater big box of Dots fragrance. gave a bottle to my daughter's 13 y/o best friend, and she was smitten with it immediately!
    I've also tried Honey and the Moon--it was not for me though others (anak!) have really enjoyed it and I give it points for longevity and creativity. I think, (as with Let Them Eat Cake) that I recall a faint plasticky note which turned me off. (Is 'plasticky' even a word? Must check....)
    Overall, I love the price and the packaging. I'd like to try more, so at some point I'm sure I'll be ordering samples!

Just tried Dead Sexy today at lunch and if you are a fan of Bulgari Black and Tobacco Toscano - SMN, then this is for you. Really nice scent!

I also have Waltz and have tried a few of the others. They sell them in-store at Anthropologie if you want to scope it out at a mall. I think for about $30 they're a good deal -- nice fragrances with a little depth and some great packaging design. I think they have the same general quality as Demeter or Pacifica.

The Tokyo Milk line is something I have not tried, but I'll try just about any scent. I am intrigued.

I usually dissect the advertising and marketing image of my scents, however, and I could not help chuckling at the image of the Kabuki scent with a distinctly female courtesan's face on the label. (Yes, you can tell she's a courtesan--an oiran--by the distinctive hair style and ornaments. Women of pleasure in those bygone times had hair styles that respectable women would not wear.)

As an irony, kabuki, as you know, is still an all-male stage art form.

The name of the company is odd...reminds of me of that sweet fermented milk soft drink in Japan called Calpis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpis
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have sampled most of Margot Elena's fragrances and own Honey and the Moon and Sparrow. They are, as the major line is called, "Curiosities."

They are powerful - not elegant, and while interesting, all suffer from imbalances. Nothing here's subtle or refined. I think there's the possibility of development in the TokyoMilk line, but her notion of fragrance seems more functional - body lotion, soap - than haute parfumerie. The whole line needs to dial back and work on balance, imvho. Margot Elena has talent, and I hope she refines it.

With that in mind, these are fun, amusing scents - but loud and full-throttle, even the floral and green ones. Many of them are cloyingly sweet and have overwhelming sillage even with just two spritzes. If you love huge and Gothic, these are for you. If you love subtle, elegant, or skin scents - then not.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Just tried Dead Sexy today at lunch and if you are a fan of Bulgari Black and Tobacco Toscano - SMN, then this is for you. Really nice scent!
    This is the one I really like.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well I really wanted to try Dead Sexy. I ordered it from Beauty Habit. They e-mailed me to say shipping to the UK would be $77 !!!
    That's nearly three times the price of the scent. I cancelled the order.

I've seen them in a couple of museum gift shops strangely enough.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I've never visited or posted in the Female Fragrance Discussion before, but I came across this thread today. The retail chain Anthropolgie has a number of the Tokyo Milk fragrances available for testing. Of them, my fiancee and I both agreed that Le Petit No. 2 was the best and we bought a bottle on the spot. I also ordered a decant of Dead Sexy from The Perfumed Court but neither of us were that impressed. It sort of had a rubber note in it during the drydown that we didn't really like.

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    Well I really wanted to try Dead Sexy. I ordered it from Beauty Habit. They e-mailed me to say shipping to the UK would be $77 !!!
    That's nearly three times the price of the scent. I cancelled the order.
    That's outrageously expensive!

Well, there's an Anthropologie store in London. I can't find out online if they stock TM, though. And Rose at
    http://arosebeyondthethames.blogspot.com/
    did a review of a couple of them in February last year, when they were apparently stocked at Fortnum and Mason, of all places. But I can't find out online if they still have them. So basically, I'm no help at all! ;-)

I'd try the Perfumed Court for decants.

Quote Originally Posted by illyria View Post
    That's outrageously expensive!

Well, there's an Anthropologie store in London. I can't find out online if they stock TM, though. And Rose at
    http://arosebeyondthethames.blogspot.com/
    did a review of a couple of them in February last year, when they were apparently stocked at Fortnum and Mason, of all places. But I can't find out online if they still have them. So basically, I'm no help at all! ;-)

I'd try the Perfumed Court for decants.
    Thanks for that - I'll go to Anthroplogie. Can't remember seeing them last time I was in Fortnum's but then I was only there to sniff the Grossmith's. I don't like that store anyway - it gives me the creeps for some reason !

For whatever it may be worth, there are only about 7 or 8 of the TM line carried at the Anthropologie chain in the U.S. No Dead Sexy either.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I tried the No. 1 Poe's Tobacco. I was intrigued with the promise of tobacco/apple and the imagery on the bottle--the raven and all... the 19th century references. BTW, the crow was a popular cage bird/pet for some men of fashion in the 1840s. And they can be trained to talk! (Ravens are very intelligent birds and are given an unfair rap in popular imagination. They are, though, noisy...)

The scent was a bit too light for my tastes, even though, I believe, that they are supposed to be a parfum. This disappointed me. I demand a lot of sillage and longevity in my parfums. Maybe I was expecting the note of vanilla, which is almost always perceived in tobacco scents. (I like Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir and also Costamor's Tabacca, which has less of a powdery note.)

The price for one ounce is not too bad to make a try/buy at this line, but comparable to other houses. They sell in the 1 ounce sizes at $28.00 USD, so that is about mid $50.00 range if bought in the 1.7 oz size.

The notes are: Tobac, tea leaves, amberwood and autumn apple.

Overall, an interesting marketing concept for this niche house.

"Quoth the raven..."
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th February 2010 at 02:54 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I recently purchased Tokyo Milk's "Eden" from, of all places, a Books-a-Million store in Blacksburg, Virginia. Thus far, I have received several compliments on it, and within the next few days, I plan to return for "Poe's Tobacco" or "Dead Sexy" -- or both!

I am drawn to these fragrances because they are deep and warm. Amber and sandalwood are two of my favorite scents, and I tend to avoid anything overly sweet. I've been happily surprised to find that "Eden" seems to last for hours, and the "dry down" scent is pleasantly clean and . . . well, comforting. For some reason, this perfume reminds me of fluffy sweaters and fires in the hearth!

I very much wanted to like "Paper & Cotton," but -- at least on tryout -- it did not seem to have the crisp clean of other cotton-based scents (like Bath & Body Works' "Sea Island Cotton").

If I'm more in tune to amber/sandalwood/musk scents, which do you think I should try next: "Poe's Tobacco" or "Dead Sexy"? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jenmoon View Post
    If I'm more in tune to amber/sandalwood/musk scents, which do you think I should try next: "Poe's Tobacco" or "Dead Sexy"? Any advice would be appreciated!!
    I haven't tried Poe's Tobacco. However, Dead Sexy struck me as much more of a dark wood/dry-ish vanilla with a hint of white floral than it did the warmer type that it sounds like you like.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Please try Dead Sexy and report back. I'm intrigued by it. I don't like a sickly sweet vanilla in my scents, either, so I'm curious as to what you think.

Thanks, BlackCat and Makeup Maniac! I might have to buy BOTH of them, because I simply cannot make up my mind.

Interestingly, the price at Books-a-Million is just $19.99 (rather than the $28 I see quoted everywhere), so it's very affordable.

I'm still so much in love with "Eden," though! If anyone out there hasn't tried it, please take the plunge. If you're a fan of warm, amberish scents, I think you'll like it! It is said to include "bronzed musk," and I have no idea what that is, but I do sense an amberish note.

I promise to report back after my "experiment"!

I recently purchased Tokyo Milk's "Eden" from, of all places, a Books-a-Million store in Blacksburg, Virginia. Thus far, I have received several compliments on it, and within the next few days, I plan to return for "Poe's Tobacco" or "Dead Sexy" -- or both!

I am drawn to these fragrances because they are deep and warm. Amber and sandalwood are two of my favorite scents, and I tend to avoid anything overly sweet. I've been happily surprised to find that "Eden" seems to last for hours, and the "dry down" scent is pleasantly clean and . . . well, comforting. For some reason, this perfume reminds me of fluffy sweaters and fires in the hearth!

I very much wanted to like "Paper & Cotton," but -- at least on tryout -- it did not seem to have the crisp clean of other cotton-based scents (like Bath & Body Works' "Sea Island Cotton").

Thanks!
    I have 01 Poe's Tobacco and it's a tobacco with apple blossom. This is not a heavy tobacco like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille nor By Kilian's Back to Black. An interestingly fresh fragrance. I also have 16 Ex Libris, which is a fig/cardamom scent, and I think also floral mixed in.

Both are unisex and wallet-friendly.

Thank you, Primrose! With the exception of the overly sweet ones, I think I'd like to try them all! I haven't been this excited by perfume in quite a while! It's nice to find unique earthy and warm scents in a market that sometimes seems dominated by florals!

I ordered a sample of Poe's Tobacco. I didn't smell much tobacco in the scent, but it did smell nice.

I tested several at Anthropologie and my favorite was Ex Libris, of which they were completely sold out at the time. I didn't find any others that interested me, lots of mediocre fruity-florals and sweet gourmands.

But yes, great price if they ring your chimes! They're certainly worth exploring!

I have a little bar of soap of theirs, has a birds nest and an egg on it. Haven't tried it yet.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

I tried Honey & The Moon which smelled okay at first and then became disgusting after five or ten minutes.

Next I tried the Kabuki which is better, but too sweet for me to wear personally. If you like sweet Lychee, you might try this one.

I am going to try them all eventually, my friend carries them in her shop.

I bought Poe's Tobacco on a whim, and all I can smell is Anais Anais - they're so similar (on my skin). Luckily the shop I bought it from gave me a sample of Fleurs d'ombre Bergamote, which has taken my mind off my disappointment with Tokyo Milk's hoax of a scent completely!

I found Honey and the Moon cloying. Think of thick honey and sugar.

Dead Sexy on the other hand is a gorgeous woody-spicy-fruity scent. If you like Feminite du Bois, Parfum Trouvee (Miller et Bertaux #1) or Genie de Bois then you should definitely give it a go.

I recently tried Ex Libris: Fig leaf, magnolia, musk and cardamom. A nice spicy scent and very unisex.

Basenotes Institution

I've tried Sparrow which is a lovely white floral scent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

HI Jenmoon - Welcome to Basenotes!

I also bought Eden recently, and I think its ths cassis note that I find so interesting and downright pretty. This scent smells of summer to me though, quite the opposite of your impression LOL! What I also like about it is that it smells like natural things that I can visualize...leaves, berries, and wood, and sometimes that's just what I want in a fragrance.
    Last edited by pomander; 21st May 2010 at 12:35 AM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Hillaire

I tried these at a local gift shop a few weeks ago. I was thoroughly impressed. When I think about how much uncritical, raving kudos SSS gets here, I am surprised to see another really good, if-not-masterful, affordable line like Tokyo Milk get such a comparatively rough treatment.

I personally liked Waltz best, but I can honestly say I enjoyed them all, and I found none of them pungent or off-putting.

I bought some lovely soap from the line as well as a gorgeous lip balm, and I consider their offerings true treats and perfect gifts.

Blog Entries

I found some of the Tokyo Milk fragrances at Beauty Encounter online. Dead Sexy has some interesting notes.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 21st May 2010 at 05:31 AM.

I sniffed the bottles at Anthropologie yesterday. I ended up trying Le Petit on one wrist and French Kiss on the other. Le Petit was dominated by a marshmallowy lily that I got tired of quickly. On the other hand, lasting power is impressive -- I still smell it on my wrist this morning.

French Kiss was better, with mandarin and a crisp vetiver. Reminded me of a cheaper, louder impression of Coco Mlle and other fruity-floral "pink chypres." Lost some of it's character in the drydown and lasted only a few hours.

For the price, not bad, but they remind me more of something that should be a bath product or body lotion than a "serious" perfume. Still, I'll probably try the others eventually, in case there is a standout.

I am wearing Tokyo Milk's Gin and Rosewater right now. It's crisp, piney, orangy, a little soapy and a little flowery (rose). I so far like it, but I don't think it will make my top perfumes list or become a daily scent. I would wear it to smell clean and awake, and when I am sick of my gourmands.

Competitively priced, but I found the scents I tested to be pretty poor: Dead Sexy and Gin and Rosewater (which is a gorgeous concept). Little better, I felt, than Body Shop scents. I'd rather pay a bit more for something less thin and with better staying power.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I just got Kabuki. it is #9. it has a yummy spicey floral fragrance that reminds me of a baskin Robbins cookie cone. I love it!

I'm wearing Tokyo Milk's La Vie La Mort today. Or maybe it's wearing me. It's pretty powerful and sweet, so I'm not thrilled with it!