Code of Conduct

Default Help! I'm Alone in the Fragrance World!

This may seem like an odd post, but I've never seen it discussed here before, so here I go...

My problem is that I have NO ONE to discuss fragrances with, and don't know ANYONE who wears them!

I've been a fragrance fan since I was old enough to remember. My first fragrances as a teenager were Chanel Pour Monsieur, Jade East, Canoe, English Leather and British Sterling (Yeah, I know that dates me...more on that in a minute!) In my 20s and 30s, I wore a little bit of scent but not too much...I only became an "addict" when I dated someone was (!) and found this website! Unfortunately the person whom I dated and introduced me to hard-core perfumes was long ago dropped like a hot rock. My "real" collecting hobby was fueled by BN when I realized there were people out there who understood me...or at least my strange little obsession with cologne!

Today I have over two hundred bottles and countless number of decants. I have a box full of "didn't make the list" bottles that would fill a collection that would overwhelm the average guy!

I list my concerns as follows:

1) First, I'm old. 54 to be exact. While I'm aware that many men of my age, and older, wear scent, I just don't happen to know any!

2) I don't drink, so I rarely, if ever, go to bars or clubs.

3) I don't know THAT many people, other than a few close friends and people with whom I work.

When I read posts here in which people comment on their friends' reactions to their scents, I get so jealous! While people around me are glad to give their opinions on my SOTD, I have no one who wears them, much less collects them! I'm frustrated that I have no one to share my hobby with.

Thank God I have BN...if it wasn't for you guys, I'd have no input on reviews/opinions at all!

Anyone else have this "problem?"
    Last edited by Butthead53; 14th September 2008 at 03:29 AM.

Default Re: Help! I'm Alone in the Fragrance World!

well, I don't know where you live but I've met a lot of nice people on blogs like this and subsequently met them in person.

I'm not that much younger than you either...

AromiErotici

I'm 51 years young and have only recently started to "collect" frags and make a wardrobe & hobby out of it. You're not alone bro.

I live in Billings,Montana......not exactly a hotbed of olfactory expertise.....but, I like what I like and could care less what anyone thinks about what I do or wear.

There's no one here either that has an interest in frags ( at least that I've met anyhow), but I do associate with people through softball or work. I yap about frags on this board, but mostly I learn here.

Take pleasure in the fact that you are probably the ONLY person where you live and work who ALWAYS smells good !!!!

It seems like no one in all of Germany, much less men, want to talk about perfume (present company excepted). I never get any reaction to what I wear and most people seem to consider fragrance a weird conversation topic, especially from man. so I can honestly say, without basenotes this hobby would be rather solipsistic. On the other hand, BN was what got me into this mess in the first place
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

"Take pleasure in the fact that you are probably the ONLY person where you live and work who ALWAYS smells good !!!!"

LOL! You're right there, bro; I just wish someone would TELL me I smelled great!
    Last edited by Butthead53; 14th September 2008 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    On the other hand, BN was what got me into this mess in the first place
    Seriously! Same here... though I always had a collection that my friends would poke fun at (at that point, it only filled a shoe box) for me being so obsessed, it wasn't until I found this site that I had the sounding board needed to expand what I had into something that I truly enjoyed and looked forward to every day. Some of even my closest friends have not seen my 'closet' of scents. Luckily, my girlfriend loves the fact that I collect and goes nuts every time I find something that she would like (I'm building her quite the little collection too )

Yes, I wish I had more people around me who enjoyed the hobby. I currently have zero as well (outside of my girlfriend, who only collects because I give them to her). Luckily, there's basenotes and the reassuring fact that you're not the only one.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Butthead, same here....

Here (Chile) perfumes are very expensive and very few people knows about fragances ($)

Consider me as a friend,
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sur la Plage

That's why we are all here for each other!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    Butthead, same here....

Here (Chile) perfumes are very expensive and very few people knows about fragances ($)

Consider me as a friend,

I do, I do.

Try being 20 and finding broke college students who have taken an interest in fragrances. Hah.

I have very few real life frag buddies (hope it will increase with the Los Angeles BN'ers meetup!). I think that appreciating fragrances, like fine food, fine wine, fine art...there are so few of us "gourmands"...so few that we need to honor our sensuality and enjoy our fragrances no matter what our circumstances! Thank goodness for the internet and BN!

PS, age irrelevant

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    Try being 20 and finding broke college students who have taken an interest in fragrances. Hah.
    LOL. I feel your pain....even though I'm an old head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have very few real life frag buddies (hope it will increase with the Los Angeles BN'ers meetup!). I think that appreciating fragrances, like fine food, fine wine, fine art...there are so few of us "gourmands"...so few that we need to honor our sensuality and enjoy our fragrances no matter what our circumstances! Thank goodness for the internet and BN!
    That sounds pretty cool having a gathering like that. I hope the meet-up is a success !!!
    PS, age irrelevant

You know what? I actually envy you, being the only person you know who wears fragrances. I have to work with someone whose colognes could be smelt from about 60-70 meters away . Don't suppose you fancy being in my shoes?

And no, I don't discuss fragrances with him. In the absence of good company, I would rather have no company at all.

Also, you should be the only one who smells good. Surely that's a plus, isn't it?!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by scensation View Post
    You know what? I actually envy you, being the only person you know who wears fragrances. I have to work with someone whose colognes could be smelt from about 60-70 meters away . Don't suppose you fancy being in my shoes?

And no, I don't discuss fragrances with him. In the absence of good company, I would rather have no company at all.

Also, you should be the only one who smells good. Surely that's a plus, isn't it?!
    LOL. Maybe you can quarantine his reeking ass and get a 200 meter work-related restraining order for olfactory indifference and abuse.

Where I work, there is a regular female customer who comes in and man.......as much as I can handle strong frags....it's absolute overkill. I cannot discern WHAT frag she wears since it is so overwhelming. If I'm in a 10 foot radius for more than a few minutes, I literally develop an astounding headache. I have NEVER smelled so much scent on such a small person.

you know whats funny....i am so used to basenotes/fragrance terminology that when i heard it in real life from a total stranger(a mid 20's girl shopping in sephora's) i didnt even blink an eye.......but i didnt even think enough to ask her if she is on basenotes or what her BN name is....(i wasnt interested in her from physical point of view...thus i was having a "fragrance only" convo)........i feel and have felt terrible afterwards in not getting to know her better in order to have someone in real life who relates to my life on this site....

P.S some of the magic words she used were = sillage, longevity, base notes, dry down, ....she was running off specific notes like cardamon, amber, vetiver, tonka.....

thats the only person i have ever come across in real life who i can say was a basenoter regardless if she is on this site or not.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    you know whats funny....i am so used to basenotes/fragrance terminology that when i heard it in real life from a total stranger(a mid 20's girl shopping in sephora's) i didnt even blink an eye.......but i didnt even think enough to ask her if she is on basenotes or what her BN name is....(i wasnt interested in her from physical point of view...thus i was having a "fragrance only" convo)........i feel and have felt terrible afterwards in not getting to know her better in order to have someone in real life who relates to my life on this site....

P.S some of the magic words she used were = sillage, longevity, base notes, dry down, ....she was running off specific notes like cardamon, amber, vetiver, tonka.....

thats the only person i have ever come across in real life who i can say was a basenoter regardless if she is on this site or not.
    Isn't it amusing when your own vernacular is more spot-on than the SA at the frag department?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Isn't it amusing when your own vernacular is more spot-on than the SA at the frag department?
    yeah....outside of very few sa's from flagship fragrance havens like barney's, the rest limit their scent vernacular to "smells nice" and "gets alot of attention" and of course the very expert like "this one is my favorite"
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    yeah....outside of very few sa's from flagship fragrance havens like barney's, the rest limit their scent vernacular to "smells nice" and "gets alot of attention" and of course the very expert like "this one is my favorite"
    We must have the very same SA who travels 'round the globe at a moments notice.

I feel warm and fuzzy after reading this thread.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    I feel warm and fuzzy after reading this thread.
    This is a totally understandable feeling resulting from all the witty banter transpiring here.....

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    It seems like no one in all of Germany, much less men, want to talk about perfume (present company excepted). I never get any reaction to what I wear and most people seem to consider fragrance a weird conversation topic, especially from man. so I can honestly say, without basenotes this hobby would be rather solipsistic. On the other hand, BN was what got me into this mess in the first place
    you are absolutely right. What you wrote is what I think of all and EVERY day. The longer I'm into basenotes the more frustrating it gets to havent even girls which I could talk to. I registered like 3 months ago and already start wondering if I'll ever meet anyone in Germany who is willing to talk about fragrances guy or girl. But since there probably won't ever be one guy or girl who will ever compliment me on any scent i can only dream of it.

When I look back,before basenotes..,which I already said its not long ago I can't recall ANY situation, I mean NONE,where I smellt any scent that was outstanding or also place where I smellt it. Since im a collector (many different colourful outfits,about 30 shoes and 30 000+ mp3s I can tell I'm everything else then a ignorant person!when it comes to weird "hobbies" for men. I'm saying this because if I have never noticed scents..why would anybody else even talk to me and be wondering what I am wearing!?
    At least in Germany.
    I went to London with 2 friends Ive never been out. Only knew them from work. after I went to harrods and wanted to sniff scents they where very confused I would say after explaining my hobby in 30 seconds they wouldn't even ask what I was wearing right now. Even if both wore (the to me disgusting " le male") every day they didn't even wanted to know what else they might use besides le male!
    only my girlfriend of course likes my hobby. But she knows I'm always a nerd when it comes to uncommon hobbies. I even do penspinning as my hobby. Also only a small community excists there. So she is used to my hobbies she talks at work with her colleagues about it and the girls look interested!but they never want to know what they could buy then for their husbands.girls talking to girls. So i've accepted it that I I'll be wearing my precious scents, which all BN's suggest here to my lonely self.
    Big thanks to ya!!
    sorry for long post but I had to get it off my chest and can now go to work

We're alone together. I am in the same situation as you.
    Last edited by JonB; 16th September 2008 at 06:50 PM.

Lately I've been buying those little 1.2ml sprayers, the manufacterer's samples sold on ebay - 5, 10, 20 at a time. When I see my friends I give them one of the samples. Most of the guys seem willing to try them. Part of the reason more people don't wear fragrances is that they don't know what the good ones are. Also, I don't think they are exactly unwilling to wear a fragrance, but they don't want to be the only one. I've also brought a small 2.5ml sprayer to a party and passed it around a group, which everyone sprayed on and then talked about.
    Last edited by TiKwanYin; 16th September 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Most people know I am gay, so they are more prepared for my unusual hobby. But nobody shares it. I never noticed anyone wearing a fragrance at work in my school. I can't talk about it to anyone. The same thing happens with another of my hobbies, Classical Music. Almost nobody likes it, and the ones that like it are too old. I mean, only associate professors seem to like Classical music.

What can I do? I am alone in the world.

Very interesting thread you've generated.

I used to be alone, and I still think it hilarious that down here some guys would still rather discuss their sex lives ( to which I interject - "Stop - I don't wanna know") than discuss fragrances (because that's too uncomfortable for them).

My hobby now is to buy scents for all the women around me - wife, cousins, sisters-in-law, neice, family friends, my mother's relatives, friends' daughters, next door neighbours, the hostess of any party or dinner we're invited to, etc - so this always leads to scent discussion (my main scent selection method is to find good scents going cheap, and stocking up).

And recently, my young nephews got into scents - so they get my near empty bottles and those that I've lost interest in. So I often have discussions with a 15 year old.

Still, the shops are filled with male scents in their premium floor space. The lack of discussion about scents would be the equivalent of males choosing to not discuss cell phones, computers, cameras, shoes or sporting equipment - which is pretty weird when one thinks about it.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 16th September 2008 at 06:54 PM.

I'm in your situation although I am not in my 50s.

I have a few close friends and I don't meet them often at all. There's no one to talk about perfume with but a few online buddies. I also don't go clubbing.

However, I don't consider this as a problem. My problem is that I am reluctant to wear more than 3-4 sprays. I'd love to do 6-8 but afraid it would offend those around me
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post

However, I don't consider this as a problem. My problem is that I am reluctant to wear more than 3-4 sprays. I'd love to do 6-8 but afraid it would offend those around me
    Unless they're very sharp, loud fresh scents or Joop, I doubt you'd be annoying all that many people around you.
    Renato

Do the 6-8 sprays on your chest, under your shirt. You will be safe, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

PS, age irrelevant
    What is this about meetups and such?

I too am alone in the sense that many guy friends didn't want to get into this... Most of my girl-cousins can engage though they can't stop giggling about a 6 foot manly man gush over Hermes (partly because I love to mispronounce it). I feel though that involving and introducing friends and family to this through subtle conversations and gifts, someone will become just as addicted as I am right now.

Lets turn it: is there anybody here who has lots of friends and/or fellow-workers to talk to about the world of scents? I would be surprised to have more than 4-5 guys. I have none, that is one with whom I would rather change emails. But this community is enough for me.

Afraafra, how about a poll of how many friends do you have to discuss scents with?

That's one great thing about the internet is being able to find people to discuss different things. I was just on GlockTalk.com a few seconds ago. Scents and sidearms - I can't think of anybody to discuss both with.