Code of Conduct

Default Would I like Encre Noire if, I

like Original Vetiver to the death, Colonia Intensa, Parfums de Nicolai Pour Homme, Issey Pour Homme,

Hate Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (hate the mint), Guerlain Vetiver (so dry), Terre D Hermes (smell just like medicine), opium pour homme (too bitter to spicy), Polo green. D&G pourhomme (too much tobacco)

People been saying that this is not mainstream, that this is unique, and not for most vetiver lover. But how unique is a big question mark to me. I know its going to be hard to answer this. But just help as much as u can.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Would I like Encre Noire if, I

I don't think you would like it.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you smelled CDG Man 2? If you have thats a pretty good idea of what Encre Noire smells like. Just add more vetiver, and of course the odd ink note, I think its amazing. If you can get a sample its well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    I don't think you would like it.
    I agree. I really like Encre Noir but it is a challenging scent, quite unlike Original Vetiver.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I love D&G PH, and Opium, but do not like Malle Vetiver or Terre D'hermes, never tried Guerlain Vetiver

Well I sampled Encre Noire twice and I did not like it at all

Post Thanks / Like

I love Encre Noir but if you think Terre d'Hermes is too medicinal... well, try it and see. My guess is it's gonna be a no.

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to try it and let your nose be the judge.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I love Encre Noir very much. This is a tricky question. I also love Guerlain Vetiver so, perhaps you should order a sample.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I really like Encre Noir...but I also love Guerlain Vetiver and TdH. So perhaps EN is not the scent for you.

(Incidentally, the comparison to CdG 2 Man puzzles and fascinates me. I seem to have a sort of anosmia toward the entire CdG line, including 2 Man. They smell great, but distant and terribly fleeting. Encre Noir, on the other hand, is one of the most insistent fragrances I own. It has a kind of rising-fastball effect on me: it seems to be stronger many hours after I apply it than when I first put it...though like a rising fastball, I'm sure that this is a kind of illusion; EN just doesn't fade as I'd expect it to.)

I suspect that you will not like the Vetiver Bourbon note featured in Encre Noir, and typically lacking in other Vetiver or Vetiver-based fragrances. It's VERY insistent.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really hard to say if you'll like one scent based on liking other scents. No matter if they're similar. Javagreen is right when he says it's simply best to use your nose for any real answer.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

i just ordered encre noire blind online......if i dont like it i will sell you mine for half price!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Have you smelled CDG Man 2? If you have thats a pretty good idea of what Encre Noire smells like. Just add more vetiver, and of course the odd ink note, I think its amazing. If you can get a sample its well worth it.
    I don't think CdG Man 2 and Encre Noire smell at all alike. Sure, there is vetiver in it, but the similarities end about there...

But based on the original comparisons, I would guess that he wouldn't like it that much - though I agree with the comment to get a sample and just try it and see!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I don't think CdG Man 2 and Encre Noire smell at all alike. Sure, there is vetiver in it, but the similarities end about there...

But based on the original comparisons, I would guess that he wouldn't like it that much - though I agree with the comment to get a sample and just try it and see!
    Really, that's interesting. I'm not great a picking out notes so I can't fully describe what I'm smelling, but I definitely get some similarities in the way the woods are presented in both. The dry down of EN smells very similar(to my nose at least) to 2 Man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i'm pretty sure you will not like it.

Encre Noire is one of the boldest scents out there, IMO....very dry, very unsweetened, very hard. it has an industrial undertone to it, and is in NO WAY soft like Original Vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    i just ordered encre noire blind online......if i dont like it i will sell you mine for half price!
    II'll take that offer. . am looking myself.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Both Original Vetiver and Vetiver Extraordinaire use haitian vetiver extraction which is more citrusy and greener than the smokier bourbon vetiver used in Encre Noir. With that said, VE smells more similar to Encre Noir than Original Vetiver. Hows that possible? VE uses haitian vetiver mixed with a trademark woody note which lends it a smoky-cedary character. If you didn't like VE chances are you won't be enamored with Encre Noir either.
    -