Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diptyque Tam Dao and Floris Sandalwood

I have been dying to try Tam Dao for ages, I've read so much about it being the best sandalwood out there, so you can imagine my thrill at receiving a sample of this (thank you, Roberto! ), and you can imagine my even greater thrill at later finding out that this one lived up to what I had in mind, and even topped it a bit.

Tam Dao is a lovely sandalwood, it's been on my skin for four hours, and I absolutely adore it now. Interestingly, and although I'm loving every minute of the experience, I could not help but to have this subtle thought (fragrance?) at the back of my head all the way through the development of Tam Dao. But as three hours have passed and I started to really experience the dry down, I could not help it anymore. I opened my closet, took out what's left of the Floris Sandalwood sample, and dabbed a little near my elbow.. I just had to test them side by side.

One review in the directory says that Floris Sandalwood doesn't have any top notes, and smells instantly like what a normal fragrance would smell after three hours. I find this to be perfectly acceptable (and quite brilliant) with FS, especially considering how magnificent the dry down is. This is clear, beautiful, bright and clean sandalwood all the way. It made me smile every time. Something I noticed is that Tam Dao, at times, smells very similar to Floris Sandalwood. But then at times it reveals woody and spicy notes, and sometimes a sharper, less subtle sandalwood than that found in the Floris.

Now that I had both fragrances on my arm, I did not need ten seconds to reach a conclusion. Floris Sandalwood is easily and by far my favorite of the two. That's not saying I don't love Tam Dao, heck, I know for certain that this is going to my top 10 soon. It's just that Sandalwood is a much more pleasant fragrance to my nose.

It's simply a masterpiece, and I am angry as hell they're discontinuing a 2003 release as beautiful as Sandalwood.

Anyone has (or tried) both Tam Dao and Floris Sandalwood? Your thoughts?
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Diptyque Tam Dao and Floris Sandalwood

I totally love Tam Dao although I know it isn't the best Sandalwood scent out there. It's definitely meditative as many of the reviews in the directory point out and that's what I love about it.

Otherwise it has minimal progression on my skin, staying true to it's Sandalwoody character.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought of Tam Dao as a cedar & sandalwood, the cedary-woody notes come on strongly here. It is quite a good one, though a bit too smoky to be dearly beloved. I like Floris Sandalwood, though I'm sorry to say that Luca Turin is right on this one: it doesn't contain any Mysore sandalwood (anymore) and certainly cannot compare in the least to genuine Santalum Album. I have a number of sandalwood fragrances and ironically, the best one is a natural cosmetics aftershave by Farfalla (in a no longer available vintage version). It has a wonderful natural sandalwood note with a littel citrus and spice added one. Persistent fro an aftershave, but not long lasting in perfume terms. If you get a chance, I'd recommend Sandalo Inspiritu by Dawn spencer Hurwitz. The sandal is just one among many notes, but it is quite a beautiful composition. Creed's Bois de Santal is also very nice, better than Floris IMO. How easy is it in Egypt to get Santalum Album essential oil (and to be reasonably sure it is real)?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Now that I had both fragrances on my arm, I did not need ten seconds to reach a conclusion. Floris Sandalwood is easily and by far my favorite of the two. That's not saying I don't love Tam Dao, heck, I know for certain that this is going to my top 10 soon. It's just that Sandalwood is a much more pleasant fragrance to my nose.

It's simply a masterpiece, and I am angry as hell they're discontinuing a 2003 release as beautiful as Sandalwood.
    I completely agree with you. One of the major disappointments I've had is trying to buy a bottle of Floris Sandalwood. I've only been able to get a couple of decants, and now those sources are dried up and my decants are almost gone. This is a fragrance that should not have been discontinued - I loved it the first time I tried it, and with every use I love it more.

Tam Dao is excellent but I don't think of it as sandalwood.

Post Thanks / Like

is Floris Santal and Sandalwood one and same....?

OP: Tam Dao is one sexy scent...feels as if i have applied a nice woody paste of Sandalwood. by midnotes the references to Kyoto stands true for a breif moment...this is much clearer and powdery in its sillage...
    Last edited by jenson; 15th September 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    is Floris Santal and Sandalwood one and same....?

OP: Tam Dao is one sexy scent...feels as if i have applied a nice woody paste of Sandalwood. by midnotes the references to Kyoto stands true...this is much clearer in its silalge though in comparison with Kyoto...
    No. Santal does not even smell like sandalwood, although it is a nice fragance. It is similar to Envy and Burberry brit, but it lacks the woodyness of the first and the sweetness of the second.

Floris Sandalwood is a more "romanticised" version of the more natural and raw Tam Dao. I can see how Sandalwood could be more wearable than cedary dry sandalwood of TD.

Post Thanks / Like

Jenson,
    Floris Santal is indeed different from Floris Sandalwood. I've only smelled the former, unfortunately. (Nice sweet stuff though, happy to have my bottle.)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Tam Dao, but I think it is watered down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    How easy is it in Egypt to get Santalum Album essential oil (and to be reasonably sure it is real)?
    I truly don't know and I'm not sure where to ask. Maybe next time I'm around an Abdul-Samad Al-Qurashi store I'll ask the SA where to find some (and also see what they have to offer for a sandalwood).

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Floris Sandalwood is a more "romanticised" version of the more natural and raw Tam Dao.
    I agree with your description.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I like Tam Dao, but I think it is watered down.
    you must certainly have a bad sample...it's very strong and has a powdery woody sillage which goes on and on...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    No. Santal does not even smell like sandalwood, although it is a nice fragance. It is similar to Envy and Burberry brit, but it lacks the woodyness of the first and the sweetness of the second.

Floris Sandalwood is a more "romanticised" version of the more natural and raw Tam Dao. I can see how Sandalwood could be more wearable than cedary dry sandalwood of TD.
    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Jenson,
    Floris Santal is indeed different from Floris Sandalwood. I've only smelled the former, unfortunately. (Nice sweet stuff though, happy to have my bottle.)

Thnx Guys!! i do have a sample of Floris Santal..which i found quite heavenly...very elegant scent...i can now only imgine how Sandalwood might be...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to smell Sandalwood by Floris. I just found a used bottle, I bought blind.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac