Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Where is Dioressence?

Does anyone know if Dioressence is being discontinued or reformulated? I don't see it anywhere.

Default Re: Where is Dioressence?

It exists, because I have seen it for sale on line recently. I think it was reformulated.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Where is Dioressence?

Thanks, Well, if that's the case it certainly is annoying. I kind of expected it. They all started disappearing a few months ago. That's a bad sign.

I think it might be discontinued, you might still be albe to find it online if you search hard enough. Whatever is out there might be the last of it, it is going to get harder and harder to get a hold of it.

Good Luck
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

http://www.perfumecenter.com/

Blog Entries

I found a spare bottle on Ebay and went for it. Thanks for your reply. It does look as if it might be on the way out. They will probably reissue it in the future and it will be sad!!! (I can't bear to think of it)

I bought a reformulated Dioressence at my local Saks.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Where is Dioressence?

Well.....Don't keep us in suspense. How was it?

I have the vintage and the new (bought at Saks); they are very different, and I do prefer the spicy complexity of the older. However, the new version is well-done, and dries down to a pleasant greenish woody chypre-very wearable and acceptable in its own right.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your info I'm curious, but doubtful. They almost never make things better. The only improved juice I've tried lately was Givenchy III and L'Interdit, re-re-issue. A big improvement over the first re-issue. I just hope they didn't go the way of 'Covet' which started out to be a green chypre until it dries down to the smell of wet hay.
    Last edited by kumquat; 30th September 2008 at 06:10 PM.

How can I tell if the bottle in a local perfume shop is vintage or reformulated?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

It's a wonderful perfume which I wear on a regular basis. In Belgium, apparently, it has been discontinued.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by zingss View Post
    I have the vintage and the new (bought at Saks); they are very different, and I do prefer the spicy complexity of the older. However, the new version is well-done, and dries down to a pleasant greenish woody chypre-very wearable and acceptable in its own right.
    Bought a tester off Ebay about two years ago. Old or new ? - No idea! The juice has the color of a darker olive oil. It's wonderful and more masculine than some which are classified that way. It sits right next to my Sauvage bottles (both versions) and I alternate between them - this keeps rejuvenating the experience ! But I'll give them a pause during those dark, cold winter months.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th October 2008 at 07:44 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Bought a tester off Ebay about two years ago. Old or new ? - No idea! The juice has the color of a darker olive oil. It's wonderful and more masculine than some which are classified that way. It sits right next to my Sauvage bottles (both versions) and I alternate between them - this keeps rejuvenating the experience ! But I'll give them a pause during those dark, cold winter months.
    If the bottle looks like this...

or this...

...then it is the good old stuff.

If your bottle looks like this...

...then it is the new, reformulated fragrance.

I tried the reformulated version at Saks (only brick & mortar place in the U.S. that I know of that has it) several years ago, and while I thought it was quite nice it didn't have the same quality as the vintage. I'm not sure what it is, but it smells more generic now. Still, it's a nice fragrance. I'd wear it. I'm not sure if the parfum is still being made (I think it was at one time) but might be worth doing a search for.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 16th October 2008 at 12:57 PM.

I tried Dioressence in our local department store earlier this year, after reading `The Guide'. I almost shouted when I smelled the top notes on me. Woooh! Very powerful. But I quite liked what it dried down into. I'm pretty sure the one I saw this week was the new version too, so I'll re-test before I commit my cash. Thanks for the tips.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I tried the reformulated version at Saks (only brick & mortar place in the U.S. that I know of that has it) several years ago, and while I thought it was quite nice it didn't have the same quality as the vintage. I'm not sure what it is, but it smells more generic now. Still, it's a nice fragrance. I'd wear it. I'm not sure if the parfum is still being made (I think it was at one time) but might be worth doing a search for.

Saks is the only US store authorized to carry Diorresence, Diorella and Miss Dior. There are still online retailers that carry them, but I'll be they won't be able to get new stock once they run out. The Diorresence I tried at Saks was very strong and perfumey. Not what I was expecting.

Thank you Lybelle for the nice display! So I have the new one. It smells very good to someone who doesn't even know the original. I like it, but I know exactly what you mean by saying '...moire generic, now'. Originals seem to mostly be inimitable, these days.
    Last edited by narcus; 15th November 2008 at 07:38 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Saks is the only US store authorized to carry Diorresence, Diorella and Miss Dior. There are still online retailers that carry them, but I'll be they won't be able to get new stock once they run out. The Diorresence I tried at Saks was very strong and perfumey. Not what I was expecting.
    They are all also at the Dior boutique in Las Vegas - saw them there a couple of weeks ago - don't know if it was Ceasar's Palace shops or Bellagio - I think Ceasar's. don't know if old or new formulation.

If the bottle looks like this...

or this...

...then it is the good old stuff.

Thanks for the pix, dear. Looks like non of the online dealers carry the vintage version.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

There are still quite a few old bottles to be found on eBay. E.g. click
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Ręve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Well........ I'm not so sure they're not fakes. Lots of high-end and or discontinued scents, sold on Ebay, turn out to be not the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Just had a look at the link you provided. The seller is in TAIWAN. Lots of counterfeit stuff is coming from that region - especially China............................. I'd have to see details and know what things to look for, to spot a fake. I'm not familiar with Chanel, so I could easily be fooled. (I don't have a problem identifying counterfeit MAC cosmetics and Burberry products.)
    Last edited by Ruqayya33; 17th November 2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling

I hadn't noticed that myself but 1) this was only an example; 2) I don't know whether it's very likely that they would counterfeit an old bottle like that...
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Ręve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Re-living this old thread!

So, does Dioressence live?!

It appears on Diors webpage,
    but in a new flacon, and in a
    line called Les Creátions de
    Monsieur Dior
    together with
    other classics like Diorella and
    Diorissimo.

Are these exclusive to Dior
    boutiques?!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 29th May 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I saw and tried the new packaged Dioressence at Saks Fifth Ave in LA at the Dior counter. To me ,the old stuff is better- I tried the old stuff at Westfields in London and I was walking around thinking "what the hell is that great smell?" and it was'old' Dioressence.

Old Diorssence- how I lament thee ...
    ( still other formulations existed before this one.. but I liked this one )
    New Dioressence...

Umm..the bottle looks nice .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 28th May 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sadly, the new Dioressence is literally NOT the old one. Dior don't have the formula, and/or don't care to get it, so they pretty did something else -- this from an evaluator at one of the big labs. What they're doing right now is trying to "repatriate" all the formulas for the old scents so they won't have to pay the author(s) -- in this case Art et Parfums, the lab that was founded by Edmond Roudnitska -- to produce it. It's quite shameful. Hence the newfangled bottles and their newfangled contents for the old classics.

You can still buy Dioressence from the Dior US website.

Although your money would be better spent on hunting down a vintage version instead of shelling out $100 for a perfume that isn't even really an imposter.

I found an original bottle of the EDT in a vintage store the other day for $3(!!!) and it's incredible stuff. An oriental chypre with an amber drydown that you can detect days later.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    I found an original bottle of the EDT in a vintage store the other day for $3(!!!) and it's incredible stuff.
    WOW!!! Congratz. I found a vintage, boxed parfum a couple of weeks ago for $2,
    I guess the time of miracles aren't over just yet, huh?!

I've only tryed the v. parfum, so the modern EdT would be all new to me, maybe
    I'll like it, but 100 bucks?! That's quite alot for a frag nobody likes ... hmm, gotta
    hit the Bay!

Thanks! And congratulations on your find!

The miracles are far from over! I just found a bottle of Coty Chypre EDT, which just might be the holy of holys . . .

. . .for a dollar.

I'm still a bit shocked. It's been opened and is at 90%. I doubt it's the original release but it looks and smells pretty legitimate. I'm still verifying it.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 30th May 2010 at 05:12 AM.

Default Where is Dioressence?

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada
    Sadly, the new Dioressence is literally NOT the old one. Dior don't have the formula, and/or don't care to get it, so they pretty did something else -- this from an evaluator at one of the big labs. What they're doing right now is trying to "repatriate" all the formulas for the old scents so they won't have to pay the author(s) -- in this case Art et Parfums, the lab that was founded by Edmond Roudnitska -- to produce it. It's quite shameful. Hence the newfangled bottles and their newfangled contents for the old classics.

Really??

When does this kind of thing start heading into the realms of breaking the trade descriptions act? There are so many regulations governing what's allowed to go inside a perfume bottle. Wouldn't it be useful to have a few rules that oblige Dior et al to indicate that a new formula has been adopted?
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by persolaise View Post
    Really??

When does this kind of thing start heading into the realms of breaking the trade descriptions act? There are so many regulations governing what's allowed to go inside a perfume bottle. Wouldn't it be useful to have a few rules that oblige Dior et al to indicate that a new formula has been adopted?
    That is a Rule I would endorse!