Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a warm, modern, non-grandpa fall/winter scent

Cooler weather is quickly setting in here in Canada and I would like to add at least one more fall/winter scent to my recently acquired Penhaligon's 1870. The other fragrances I own work best in warmer weather so they probably will get less use this coming cold season.

I am still very new to the hobby and It's hard for me to describe what I seek, but generally I like woody notes and spices (in moderation), a little bit of sweetness is ok, as long as it's not vanilla. I would prefer a scent more suitable to a younger (at least younger-looking) person, something that's versatile and can be worn in most situations. I also am not a fan of strong, uber-masculine power-frags with weapon-grade tabacco, leather and smoky notes.

It doesn't have to be niche, please feel free to recommend anything as long as it's something you think may fit the bill. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a warm, modern, non-grandpa fall/winter scent

Though I can think of 15 that would fit the bill perfectly, I think you should try Idole de Lubin. It's absolutely gorgeous, uncommon, and spicy/boozy. Drop me a pm if you want more suggestions for the type, but I really think that's a perfect place to start. I love IdL.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

My personal favorite fall/winter scents are Santal Noble, Chergui, New Haarlem & Patchouli 24 (this one is a bit smokey, but not uber masculine). I'm also in the younger age bracket if that helps.

Best thing is to write down these suggestions, read the reviews and sample. Best of luck.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 16th September 2008 at 03:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Young whippersnapper,

Do your research and sample to your heart's content but (and this is very important), before you buy, check out my wardrobe - if I own it, don't buy it. You have just grandpa-proofed your wardrobe!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Christian Dior Bois d'Argent

L'Instant de Guerlain pour homme

Tom Ford for Men

Idole de Lubin

I've mostly been a fan of the lighter, warm masculines. The first two are modern gentlemen. The third libertine, the last an adventurer.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Comme des Garcons Parfum
    Burberry London
    Michael for Men
    Lubin Idole
    Carlos Santana for Men
    Last edited by petruccijc; 16th September 2008 at 09:42 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Burberry London
    L'Anarchiste
    Terre d'Hermes
    Red Vetyver
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Young whippersnapper,

Do your research and sample to your heart's content but (and this is very important), before you buy, check out my wardrobe - if I own it, don't buy it. You have just grandpa-proofed your wardrobe!

In my role as goofy longnecked guy with the profound overbite who gets the joke a little late and continues laughing after everyone else has gone urbanely on with the conversation. In that role, I'd like to say that this made laugh a lot.
    Hearty welcome and good luck to you, Young'un. As TwoRoads says, I have no advice for you, only well wishes. Weapon grade tobacco is good, too. Couldn't you just use less of the excellent stuff in TwoRoads' wardrobe? Oh, I guess not.
    I sort of love this generational thing on Basenotes.
    Warm regards,
    Grandpa Strollyourlobster

i saw Idole de Lubin recommended. i love it to death and wear it a lot. however, 2 people in my life called it "old man". not that i care...but i know you do!

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London. Just snatched a bottle of this up and its great!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

This is similar to a thread I started in the male frag forum, so you might be able to get some ideas from that as well:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=213361

This is not intended as one of those passive aggressive suggestions to use the search function, I just thought there might be some responses you find to be useful in the thread

Oh, and I would have to agree with the Caron l'anarchiste suggestion. Definitely not a good blind buy, though. On me, the spices are extremely strong, which can be a bit of a turn-off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Habit Rouge (maybe)
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Zino Davidoff
    Chanel Allure Homme
    Annick Goutal Sables
    Dunhill Desire for a Man

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

Perfect for a young punk or a grandpa.

I noticed that someone else suggested Le Labo's Patchouli 24. Patchouli 24 is great, but it does have a bit of a dark, smoky bite to it (birch tar) which you might consider near weapons-grade level, so if you're looking for something more straight-ahead accessible, Le Labo's Labdanum 18 is warm and boozy and very easy to wear. I've heard it compared favorably to Idole de Lubin, just a little more youthful in its energy level.

YSL M7 is also a good fall/winter fragrance (very warm, woodsy, a bit sweet and spicy but not overly so), and even though it's discontinued, you can still find it for sale online (Amazon, for example). Tom Ford was artistic director during its creation, and I think it exhibits similar qualities to some of the fragrances in own his Private Blend line.

Personally, I like M7 better than what he's putting out now -- I think it was just a bit ahead of its time and so didn't catch on the way it should have.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! I went to a perfume store nearby and checked a bunch of the scent recommended, but I think I wanted to cover too much ground at once and made a classic mistake of sampling way too many frags at once (and on paper strips at that....) Needless to say my olifactory judgement was quickly impared and I was not able to choose anything.

I did however establish the fact that I do not like "boozy" notes. I've tried Burberry London on my wrist (the only one that went on my skin instead of paper) and while not unpleasant I soon realized that the boozy tones were a turn-off for me. I detect similar component in Burberry Brit (I have a tester vial) and now I know what it is that bothered me about that one. So I must add "boozy notes" to my original dislikes list of strong tabacco, vanilla and leather.

I will revisit the scents that were recommended in this thread and will try to test them on skin, as this paper strip sniffing business definitely does not do justice to any fragrance being "tested" that way.

If you don't like boozy then avoid Idole, it has a significant rum note.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Chanel Egoiste....
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Current Rotation: Terre D'Hermes, Boucheron PH, Villoresi Uomo, Green Irish Tweed, Chanel PMC, Gucci PH, Floris Santal, Carven Homme, Dunhill '34, PI by Givenchy, Parfums de Nicolai New York

Post Thanks / Like

Montana Parfum D'Homme (red box)

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Montana Parfum D'Homme (red box)
    The red box is hard to find I bet since it has been discontinued since 2001. I thought I was buying the red box since the pictured showed Montana (red box) on Amazon but instead I got the reformulated blue box. I will be returning it since I was expecting to get the 1989 formula and not the 2001.

Smile Re: Looking for a warm, modern, non-grandpa fall/winter scent

I associate L'Artisan Parfumer's Tea for Two with Autumn and Winter. It smells very lightly smoky, then into a spiced black tea note. Another very different, dry fragrance, Bois Farine, reminds me of winter. It has anise, cedar, and a dry floury note with no hint of vanilla. Best of luck in your search!!
    Last edited by Roy; 18th September 2008 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    If you don't like boozy then avoid Idole, it has a significant rum note.
    Same with Le Labo Labdanum 18. Booze booze and more booze.

I did recently run across a very dry leather and patchouli scent: Odori Cuoio. Subtle, with very little in the way of florals. It smelled contemporary and masculine. Pricy? Yes. Nice? Very.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I associate L'Artisan Parfumer's Tea for Two with Autumn and Winter. It smells very lightly smoky, then into a spiced black tea note. Another very different, dry fragrance, Bois Farine, reminds me of winter. It has anise, cedar, and a dry floury note with no hint of vanilla. Best of luck in your search!!
    Thanks, I've sampled Tea for Two and while it's masterfully crafted I just couldn't see (or smell hehe) myself projecting what's essentially a smell of a cup of smoky slightly spiced tea. I actually have almost all of the L'Artisan's samples and two full bottles (Navegar and Passage d'Enfer) but so far they seem to be more like scents you'd enjoy and marvel about at home rather than wear in a variety of situations. Perhaps that's just my n00b's perception and untrained nose and things very well may change down the road. Another problem with L'Artisan's is that they have below average longevity on my skin (except Pd'E, which lasts forever).

As for Egoiste, if it's anything like the Platinum Egoist which I tried and couldn't wait to wash it off, I probably won't like it much.

Today I've decided to give my sample of Tauer's LDDM another wear and it works very nicely in colder weather. I had to restrain myself from ordering a bottle but will probably loose the battle in near future I am also curious to try his Incense Rose which sounds very nice from the reviews.

For now I guess I'll stick to Opus 1870, GIT, LDDM and try a few more L'Artisan's (just got 9 more samples from them). Many thanks for all the help, and please feel free to keep those suggestions coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The red box is hard to find I bet since it has been discontinued since 2001. I thought I was buying the red box since the pictured showed Montana (red box) on Amazon but instead I got the reformulated blue box. I will be returning it since I was expecting to get the 1989 formula and not the 2001.
    It's been brought back to market... You can buy it at fragrancenet.com & scentedmonkey.com. If you do thread title search on Montana Parfum D'Homme, there will be a thread discussing how it has been brought back to market...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    As for Egoiste, if it's anything like the Platinum Egoist which I tried and couldn't wait to wash it off, I probably won't like it much.
    They are different. Try Egoiste. In my opinion, it's better.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

i personallhy find bvglgari black and Paco rabanne ph to be best candidates for not smellling "oldish"

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    They are different. Try Egoiste. In my opinion, it's better.
    Yes, please try Egoiste (or even better Egoiste Concentree if you can find that). It is completely different from Platinum Egoiste and IMO is much, much better.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

• Caron Yatagan
    • Gucci Gucci Pour Homme
    • Fresh Cannabis Santal
    • L'Occitane Eau de Badian
    • L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitan

It's been less than two months since I've started this thread and it already seems like eons ago I've since realized that I should not dismiss any frags just on the basis of notes as they can be done very differently in different scents and my tastes indeed change as I experience more and more fragrances.

After some initial disappointment (due to my original inexperience) I have revisited and absolutely fell for Guerlain L'Instant, picked up a bottle of the EDP version. I also like the new Guerlain Homme and will most likely buy this one too.

I have tried a bunch of Burberry scents but sadly they do nothing for me. Ditto for any Lutens I've tried (at least a dozen of the export line), Gucci, Dior, Chanel (except Egoiste which I can't track down).

For now my daily rotation is Tauer's LDDM, YSL L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant, Creed GIT and MI and Amouage XXV. I will also try a bunch of Sandalwood scents (Lorenzo Viloresi, Etro, Creed, Floris, Art of Shaving etc.) and hopefully will like something that works well for me.

Thanks a lot to everybody for their thoughtful recommendations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Young whippersnapper,

Speak for yourself crypt keeper, my wardrobe is state of the art, status quo juice

Well, at least half

Is there an age when you hit "grandpa" status ?

welcome back joe
    Last edited by silverbullet; 7th November 2008 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    It's been less than two months since I've started this thread and it already seems like eons ago I've since realized that I should not dismiss any frags just on the basis of notes as they can be done very differently in different scents and my tastes indeed change as I experience more and more fragrances.!
    Congratulations on surviving an avalanche of suggestions! Also, I'm impressed with the fragrances you've sampled since you started the thread. You're well on your way to becoming a colognescenti (or is it colognoisseur?)
    Last edited by Snafoo; 7th November 2008 at 09:34 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Burberry London
    Thanks, I've tried London, Touch and Brit, alas they do nothing for me...

I've settled for Guerlain L'Instant EDP and Homme, Amouage Jubilation XXV, Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain, Gucci Pour Homme and YSL L'Homme. Also have a big decant of Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir on the way. I think I am all set, for a bit at least until the acquisition bug bites me again