Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Need something for close proximity

Hey all,
    I'm just starting to get into fragrances and was researching what to buy for my 2nd real cologne. I am a college student (20) but don't go partying or clubbing. I commute to school and part of the deal is that I use the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane to avoid traffic where I can. I pick up 2 passengers (3 required in car) at the bus stop and we head to downtown, approximately a 30 minute trip. I need something that won't overwhelm my passengers or dominate the car. Proximity is obviously close and the air is stagnant (aside from the AC) - a situation that can easily turn into a headache with the wrong cologne. Aside from that "need", relatively small classrooms is where I'm at the rest of the day. Only a third of the people wear anything at all so the scent doesn't need to be strong.

Aside from some cheap PS cologne, my first cologne was AdG which I bought after reading about the great reviews online. But that is nearly finished and I want to keep a bit as a collection starter. After sampling around a bit, I've decided that I really dont like the light watery type as it seems kind of juvenile (please don't take offense). I went to Macy's and sampled some fragrances and here are some I didn't particularly like:

212 Herrera
    Platinum Egoiste
    Armani Code
    The Dreamer
    Joop!

OK ones:

Tommy Hilfiger (cant remember the one)
    D&G (not the light blue one)
    Boss from Hugo
    CK Eternity
    Bvlgari pour Homme

The only problem with the ok ones is that they seem kind of normal to me (aside from Bvlgari). I want something a bit different that people will remember (in a good way). Now the whole woody/leather/masculine segment is starting to open up to me when I tried John Varvatos and I would buy it but I don't think I have the physique/ultra confidence to wear that type of fragrance, I'm 5'5/135, slightly on the shy side but definately friendly.

I'm going for a second test run tomorrow at the mall in hopes of finding my new cologne, is there anything you guys recommend me to try out?

In short: not overpowering/headache creating, not watery/citrus stuff, mature scent, different from "normal" smelling colognes, but not too masculine at the same time. That kinda sums it up lol

Default Re: Need something for close proximity

Rinosaur, welcome to Basenotes! Great screen name.
    I'll leave the recommendations to others and just point out that sillage (a measure of how many blocks away neighbors' dogs start upright and look quizzical, agonized or enraptured when you walk out the front door; as volume is to sound so sillage is to perfume). Sillage does obviously vary from scent to scent but it also depends upon how much you've applied, where you put it, and how long you've had it on. I recommend light application on you upper chest for close encounters like what you're describing. You'll still be able to smell it but the stranger in the front seat will get it only subliminally until they are suddenly compelled to bury their nose in your chest screaming, "I have to have you now! In the Diamond Lane of this very bridge! Oh my God, when you picked me up I assumed you were ready for a commitment!"
    Also, applying earlier so that the top notes have time to calm down before you chance an encounter like the one above is a good idea.

I think sillage will vary with your skin chemistry, this is the same with longevity. But some fragrances are generally stronger than others, regardless of skin chemistry. The quiet ones for me are Avon's Mesmerize which is a nice and economical way to begin. Another quiet one on me is Escada's Magnetism.. but it also happens to be ultra long lasting. Also try a musk. Most musks have very little sillage and blend with your chemistry (not always a good result). A good one to try would be The Body Shop's White Musk.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Dependent
    Blog Entries

You mentioned testing Bvlgari ph. I think that one would be a good choice. Others you might want to try are: ck be
    Alyssa Ashley Musk
    Burberry Touch
    Prada Amber ph

rinosaur ,

You made some good choices on what to test out at Macy's. 212 Men, Joop !, The Dreamer, Armani Code to me are all disasters.

With D&G Pour Homme, as long as you keep it to 2 sprays, you won't overdo it. It wears very well and is quality made ( but very mainstream preppy).

Eternity does smell very clean, has good longevity and does not upset those around the wearer...but ultimatly is a nothing-smell. Just sterile and has no character.

Bvlgari Pour Homme is a fav of mine, but not the most long lasting scent. Still, seems good for what you want it for.

As well, John Varvatos would be fine in my opinion. I am shy and generally feel smaller in stature compared to others. Yet this scent gives me a comfortable feel. I personally find that scents like Egoiste, Guerlain's, or any other scent similar require the "right look/attidude" or what not.

I'll try to come up with another scent to recommend, best of luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Burberry Touch

Second on that. You might want to sample some Issey Miyake's L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme.

Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by silverbullet; 16th September 2008 at 10:55 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Thanks all for the suggestions/welcome.

Ok for the 2nd run, I sprayed on my skin alot of fragrances that I previously only put on the sample paper and wow do they smell different.

I tried out Issey today, smells like a tropical fruit lol, not bad though.

Something is worrying me though. Just for fun I sprayed some AdG on a piece of paper, and I can't even recognize it although I wear it currently. I thought maybe its because its on paper. I go home and spray my bottle on some paper and the scents are worlds apart.... I'm beginning to think I got frauded when I bought my bottle of AdG on ebay. I only buy from sellers with good feedback and the bottle came brand new in box with shrink wrap. Are there such things as replica fakes that come shrink wrapped and perfectly packaged in the same textured box? I go on eBay now and I don't see 3.4 bottles for nearly what I got it for (like 35 shipped). I'm kind of saddened by this, more like angered . The more I smell my AdG the more I find that this replica or whatever it is smells horrible.

Anyways I gotta be even more careful this time around. Going to buy from powersellers now. Has this happened to anyone here?

So now for me its Bvlgari or John Varvatos. Maybe I'll just get both lol.

Can someone tell me if this is a safe buy? If it is, how is he selling it for $27 when department stores charge $72?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-VARVATOS-4-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Try CK Man. Its different, not overpowering and not a citrus or aquatic and you can get it on eBay really cheap. If nothing else its worth a try.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Sealed the deal. Got John Varvatos. If it doesn't work out I'll buy Bvlgari. Thanks for the help all!

NOOOOOO!!!!! You need Lolita Lempicka Au Masculaine, check out the reviews!!

You, sir, should try Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes. And when you're at the Hermes counter, also try Hiris, Un Jardin sur le Nil and Terre d'Hermes.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I think you can wear practically anything as long as you apply with a light hand and don't spritz your clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    You, sir, should try Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes. And when you're at the Hermes counter, also try Hiris, Un Jardin sur le Nil and Terre d'Hermes.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    I've searched those all but Terre dHermes return women's fragrances. Are they unisex or are the male versions much rarer?

Quote Originally Posted by rinosaur View Post
    I've searched those all but Terre dHermes return women's fragrances. Are they unisex or are the male versions much rarer?
    Out of those, Un Jardin sur le Nil is marketed unisex, Terre d'Hermes male, and the rest are female fragrances.

Elixir des Merveilles is very wearable by a man. It smells that good you have to at least give it a try. Hiris smells more feminine but you can pull it off too if you like it enough.

I remember a female Basenoter's post about how she happily wore Terre d'Hermes and though it was very unisex. I find Td'H very masculine, and could not see how a woman could pull it off. These lines are not clear and vary from person to person, and you have to see for yourself how a fragrance smells on you, and wear it happily if you like it, even if it's marketed for women.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.