Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone tried Oak Moss extrait solo?

I got a bottle of Mousse de Chene extrait by L'Aromarine and wore it as a solo fragrance today. Pure heaven, lots of nice sillage due to some pleasant citrus top notes that burned off to reveal pure oak moss. It was as close to having the perfect skin scent in the world that I've ever experienced.
    Has anyone out there gone the pure Mousse route?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th August 2008 at 07:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone tried Oak Moss extrait solo?

I came close. In the notes identification project, I had a leaky bottle of synthetic oak moss, and it got all over my fingers. It was wonderful! Not necessarily as good as the real thing, but I could see it as a solo scent. Really intriguing. Most importantly, I finally got what all the fuss is about oak moss. It really adds character to anything it touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I came close. In the notes identification project, I had a leaky bottle of synthetic oak moss, and it got all over my fingers. It was wonderful! It really adds character to anything it touches.
    And apparently everything that you touched that day, too.

I haven't tried the pure extrait but would definitely enjoy knowing what it smelled like alone. Oakmoss fascinates me for sure. Who would have ever thought of using a moldy moss in a fragrance? One fragrance in which I'm sure oakmoss has a profound effect is FM Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    Last edited by Delmar; 3rd September 2008 at 09:43 PM.

I think oakmoss is one of the things which, depending upon type and treatment, can produce a range of scents. Vetiver is another. By themselves (in essential oil form), they can be very powerful. Tiny amounts in a perfume can be excellent. Too much -- disaster! I had the privilege of going to Ayala's workspace and smelling three different oakmoss essential oils. This was a learning experience! They ranged in color from dark green to dark brown. They all were green in character, earthy, and within the "moss family". Two were so powerful as to be almost unpleasant. The third, which I think was English moss, was the scent I usually associate with the "fern" scents I love, such as Wild Fern and English Fern. Ayala is an expert on fougere style fragrances, and blends her own scents in many varieties of styles. As a friend and customer, I recommend her! See http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I haven't tried Mousse de Chene but I have tried Ava Luxe's Moss / Mousse de Chine.

It is not an extrait, but I rated it excellent. I don't remember all the details so I will retry it tonight when I get home.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Mousse de Chene extrait by L'Aromarine can be had from beautyhabit.com for $8.50 for 8.5 ml., which is quite a decent amount. They suggest mixing it with alcohol to make an EdT. I've been using it straight out of the bottle. Amazing stuff.

I just ordered 3 bottles for $27 based on your review. I love oakmoss and citrus together. Does it last a long time and does it project well.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I just ordered 3 bottles for $27 based on your review. I love oakmoss and citrus together. Does it last a long time and does it project well.
    It is quite loud for the first 1/2 hour, when it settles down it lasts for at least 5 hours. It's an oil. Love the stuff.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th August 2008 at 01:19 AM.

Hey Ruggles. Great find. I just got my bottles today and it is great!! I cant believe $8 only!! Great citrus burst and a long lasting oakmoss drydown with that citrus note always lasting on top pf the oakmoss. Dang!!

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Hey Ruggles. Great find. I just got my bottles today and it is great!! I cant believe $8 only!! Great citrus burst and a long lasting oakmoss drydown with that citrus note always lasting on top pf the oakmoss. Dang!!
    What quality, what a great price! I'm glad you like it, I was beginning to think I was being a bit of a geek. I asked a friend what they thought I was wearing and she got it all wrong. She started rambling off notes.
    It's amazing something so simple can be so complex. Enjoy.

Basenotes Institution

Tried this today.

Amazing stuff. Ruggles tipped me off to a similarity before I smelled it and he was right - this stuff smells like Parfum des Merveilles by Hermes. A little less salty and the longevity is less, but for the price it's a steal!

The Mosse de Chene costs $8 for a 8.5 ml bottle. The Parfum des Merveilles costs $185 for a 8 ml bottle!

The only drawback is this is an oil, which I generally avoid (I have oily skin) but the citrus topnotes, the ambergris-esque drydown, the woody, mossy component - all of them combine and produce a wonderful combination.

Impressed.

Thanks for the "heads-up" on this one.

The makers suggest that it be diluted with 50 ml of alcohol to make it an EdT. I haven't tried it that way yet, as I find it perfect as an extrait.

Yes, I tried to make Oakmoss Absolute (from Bulgary) diluted in alcohol.
    Absolute itself is sticky brown sap, not fluent, and smells very dry, woody, bitter with tobacco, dry leaves, smoke, animalic and urine accents.

Diluted it still brown and not so pleasant scent. Its smell I could compare with aquarelle of kid who mixed all the colours to make a beauty, but all ended like brown-green mixed dirt...

It needs a lot of special perfumer skills to employ it into perfume.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

No, I've not smelled it on its own, but the wonderful and very rare "Feuille Verte" by Creed
    is reportedly loaded with oakmoss. A very nice, "green" fragrance.

profumo.it does a fragrance heavy on natural oakmoss with, I think, some santalum album and vetiver. It is very beautiful and available in various strengths. Oakmoss seems to blend with my skin perfectly, it is my favourite basenote.

Yes Feuille Verte is loaded with it. That fragrance is made with some seriously good ingredients.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I'm mad about oakmoss as well. I wear it diluted with a hint of lavender essential oil and bourbon vanilla absolute.

Beautiful !!!
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I have tried the Mousse de Chene directly (without dilution), but I don't get as much Oak moss as I was expecting. I have also tried Profumo.it Oak Moss, and that one is very, very nice. Too bad the Profumo is quite spendy. I now have to go back and make an Edp from the Mousse de Chene to see if more moss gets released.

Agreed - I use it straight, as an extrait. Very cheap and very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Mousse de Chene extrait by L'Aromarine can be had from beautyhabit.com for $8.50 for 8.5 ml., which is quite a decent amount. They suggest mixing it with alcohol to make an EdT. I've been using it straight out of the bottle. Amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Yes, I tried to make Oakmoss Absolute (from Bulgary) diluted in alcohol.
    Absolute itself is sticky brown sap, not fluent, and smells very dry, woody, bitter with tobacco, dry leaves, smoke, animalic and urine accents.

Diluted it still brown and not so pleasant scent. Its smell I could compare with aquarelle of kid who mixed all the colours to make a beauty, but all ended like brown-green mixed dirt...

It needs a lot of special perfumer skills to employ it into perfume.
    I agree, more or less, with your analysis, but not your skepticism. Oakmoss distills the essence of an ancient forest; to smell it by itself is to be transported there. It is surely no less useful than rose or lemon.. and to those who appreciate it, no less rich or precious.