Code of Conduct

Default The Nasty Woody Oriental

About 6 months ago, I bought a bottle of Opium EDP pour Homme, because I wanted to have a powerful oriental perfume in my collection. But it was a disaster. Opium actually made me sick every time I tried to wear it. It was excessive, there was something nasty in it (the spices), and I simply couldn't take it; I couldn't stand it. The perfume was so powerful that even when I washed myself in order to get rid of it, the perfume still remained in place, as if it were glue!

A few months later, I bought M7, which unlike Opium, was not nasty. It was like the Opium with stronger wood notes, and without the nasty spices.

It was only after I received several suggestions from basenoters, telling me that I should have a woody oriental in my collection, that I decided to buy another oriental, this time Jaipur EDP. The bottle arrived today and I have just tested it. This time I made the right choice. This is a very good perfume, that has spices but not in a nasty, excessive way. It is balanced, sweeter than Opium, and with a strong cinnamon note. I have to admit it is not my favorite kind of perfume, but still, it is very good and pleasant. I will certainly wear it during winter.

So, I just wanted to tell you that if you have tried a "hardcore" oriental like Opium EDP and didn't like it, please don't give up. There are other orientals that may suit your taste. I recommend Jaipur wholeheartedly.

Lucius

Default Re: The Nasty Woody Oriental

Kind sir,

I completely concur with your recommendation of Jaipur.

furthermore- just wanted to share an outcome of a blending experiment

1 spray of opium in the lower torso followed by one spray of dark blue hugo boss on the upper torso...followed by lubriderm - once lubriderm dries off- another weak helping of dark blue....wait for half an hour...and a accord of distinct mysore sandal peeks out and remains besides you for atleast 5 hrs

try this and let me know ...i;'ve had wonderful resuls using opium and yatagan with darkblue

Part crazy- part adventurous

I own Jaipur homme edp, too. I don't use it much because I find it too floral. Once in awhile I get in the mood to smell it, but usually I can't abide the heliotrope overdose.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Institution

Interesting...

I have had many people recommend Jaipur Homme to me, since I'm such a freak about cinnamon. Honestly, I still have not tested it. Probably because I already love and own Opium Pour Homme EdP. Maybe because I don't need a lot of heavy orientals here in Miami (where the window of time to really enjoy them in the cool weather is very slim). Nonetheless, when I see a tester next time, I'm going to douse my arm with some. I did not know JH has heliotrope (a note I'm just starting to 'get' in scents myself).

BTW - is the JH EdP much different from the EdT?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th September 2008 at 02:28 AM.

Well, I can't agree on a generalization about woody orientals, because I like Carven Homme so much (and the rosewood in it is very strong). Now Dunhill Desire red I can understand some people having trouble with, though I like it once in a while (and one spray only). The key seems to be the exact blend, rather than what the notes are. I'd like to try Opium, but since I haven't I can only add that if it's got a "synthetic" quality, I can understand being nauseated by it. Take Jovan Sex Appeal for men as an example. It's got a really nasty chemical spill smell to begin with, but once it settles down (assuming you don't overspray or smell it up close) it's not bad at all, though I couldn't conceive of anyone suggesting that it was just as good as Carven Homme on any level.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    About 6 months ago, I bought a bottle of Opium EDP pour Homme, because I wanted to have a powerful oriental perfume in my collection. But it was a disaster. Opium actually made me sick every time I tried to wear it. It was excessive, there was something nasty in it (the spices), and I simply couldn't take it; I couldn't stand it. The perfume was so powerful that even when I washed myself in order to get rid of it, the perfume still remained in place, as if it were glue!

A few months later, I bought M7, which unlike Opium, was not nasty. It was like the Opium with stronger wood notes, and without the nasty spices.

It was only after I received several suggestions from basenoters, telling me that I should have a woody oriental in my collection, that I decided to buy another oriental, this time Jaipur EDP. The bottle arrived today and I have just tested it. This time I made the right choice. This is a very good perfume, that has spices but not in a nasty, excessive way. It is balanced, sweeter than Opium, and with a strong cinnamon note. I have to admit it is not my favorite kind of perfume, but still, it is very good and pleasant. I will certainly wear it during winter.

So, I just wanted to tell you that if you have tried a "hardcore" oriental like Opium EDP and didn't like it, please don't give up. There are other orientals that may suit your taste. I recommend Jaipur wholeheartedly.

Lucius

I would actually recommend giving Opium a second chance in the forum of Opium Eau Du Orient, which manages to lighten the almost stifling presence of the original while still maintaining plenty of complexity and character.

Actually, I did try Opium EDT, at Marshall's a while back. I remember it as being peppery and with a minty toothpaste smell that I really don't like (I've smelled it in a few other frags). I don't remember a strong woody presence. However, I think I may have stopped smelling the area (keeping my arm covered with two layers of clothing), so if the strong wood notes came during the drydown I might've missed them.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th September 2008 at 03:22 AM.

AromiErotici

I have, use and like Opium EDP......and I do admit to it being very strong.

Upon another members suggestion a few weeks back, I blended Opium EDP with Fendi Uomo. Believe it or not , the result was really good. I used 1 part Opium to 3 parts Fendi.

You may want to try a light spritz or two of the Opium followed by your favorite woody / boozy scent.

Opium is one of my favorites. Jaipur is up there too but feels less exciting to me. Not sure what note you find "nasty", so it would be difficult to talk about other frags but, I wonder, have you tried Bogart's Witness? It's heavier on the cinnamon than Jaipur. Also, what do you think of Lp9, Gucci Envy, and Animale Animale? They are all in the same family to me. Just interested in whether you like some and dislike others based on the "nasty" criteria.
    Last edited by argogos; 17th September 2008 at 03:29 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Don't forget to try Obsession Lucius . I recently got a bottle of the original formulation & its better than the current stuff .
    I have never tried Jaipur EDP yet ... but the EDT is simply stunning & it lasts !!!
    actually still linger almost a day later on skin sniffs , so as soon as the decant finishes Im replacing it with a large bottle
    about Opium ,, the key word if they didn't mention it or you missed it >> is Sweet .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I love Opium too but it's a bit too much for me to take. It jams my olfactory bulbs with its intense sillage.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

well done Java .. 2000 up !!!!!! yeeehaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    well done Java .. 2000 up !!!!!! yeeehaaa
    Thanks a lot mate!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post

Lucius

Lucius, if you want an even more palatable version of an oriental you already like, try Jaipur Fraicheur -- it preserves the essence of Jaipur, but is cooler and lighter -- and almost completely wearable in hot weather (well, perhaps more of a spring fragrance.)

The "summer" versions of both Jaipur and Opium are quite nice, though Jaipur takes a bit of a wearing before it settles on me. Antidote may also be a fragrance one might wish to try as it shares many of the same qualities as these two.

LV: i think you ought to try Opium Eau D'Orient. in my mind its made for customers just like you..you will find more balance and poise in Eau D'Orient...and by any chance if you could get your hands on LP No.9 (thts if Dimi has left any in the market) tht would be one worthy contender too as it;s a Opium clone with a twist

somehow, Jaipur doesnt satisfy...i doubt if you'd be able to go thru with it for over a month...somethin init is very boring and incomplete...i find much more pleasure in scents like

Cartier: Pasha, Le Baiser du Dragon
    YSL: opium and opium eau d'Orient
    Penhaligons: LP No.9

I have tried Jaipur Homme a couple of times, and I really don't get all the spice you guys are talking about! On me it is a sweet vanilla & woody oriental, and has a vague resemblance to yellow cake batter. This yellow cake effect is somewhat like Bois 1920 Sandalo e The. (I have not done a side-by-side yet.) At any rate, to my nose, JH is more in line with Kenzo Amour, Kenzo Peace, Estee Lauder Sensuous, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have tried Jaipur Homme a couple of times, and I really don't get all the spice you guys are talking about! On me it is a sweet vanilla & woody oriental, and has a vague resemblance to yellow cake batter. This yellow cake effect is somewhat like Bois 1920 Sandalo e The. (I have not done a side-by-side yet.) At any rate, to my nose, JH is more in line with Kenzo Amour, Kenzo Peace, Estee Lauder Sensuous, etc.
    I think there's a difference in spiciness between the EdT and EdP versions... I find the vanilla a little heavier and less spicy in the EdP, which is why I own that version. Jaipur Homme EdP is one my absolute fave cold weather fragrances - I love the aroma wafting up from under a jacket or sweater.

And I agree, Opium can be tough to take.

Jaipur Homme EDP is the best from Boucheron. I dislike the original Boucheron is too citrus with wood just too basic. Where Jaipur is very spicy clove against woody notes with sweet heliotrope that is lighter then heavy vanilla.

Opium for men is just vanilla sugary vanilla and amber. The over sweetness makes it overwhelming and sickly. I feel men's scent is a disappointment to the great YSL Opium name.
    Last edited by scentimus; 19th September 2008 at 01:21 AM.