Code of Conduct

Default Crown Perfumery - Dipping in for the first time

I've never worn any of the Crown perfumes, but I am getting intrigued. The ones I'm leaning towards trying are the Rose, Eau de Russe, and Town and Country.

My question is - since Crown has been out of production for a while, how is the quality on the bottles still available? Any evidence of turning or going off, etc. The source I would most likely employ for ordering is Parfums Raffy - any comments on the Crown fragrances obtained there?

Any other comments/guidance for a first-time Crown explorer are very welcome.

Thanks.
    Jardanel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crown Perfumery - Dipping in for the first time

I've never had nay problem with any of mine, but they're all from England and Germany. You may know tjat Anglia Perfumery produces several of the Crown Perfumes under a different name - if you don't trust old bottles that's the way to go, especially since Anglia prices are very reasonable. I will be getting Eau de Russe there sooner or later.

Maréchal original is an absolutely stunning green rose fragrance and I'm down to my last milliliters. I've only ever seen the ridiculously expensive special edition of this, no regular bottles.

Town & Country is my favorite Crown, though I have yet to try the enticing Sumare. T&C took a while to grow on me, but at some point I realized just how brilliant a composition it is and how good the ingredients are. Let some of this dry on a tissue and what you have after two days still smells wonderfully rich and natural. Spiced Limes is an equal work of genius that appears simple on the surface. I also prefer Crown's Fougere to both Trumper's Wild and Penhaligon's English Fern, and Sandringham is a jewel of Edwardian dandyism. Quinine is very special but I've learned to love it. The only one's I'm not enamored with are Imperial, best lemon in the world, but very old-fashioned powdery dry-down (some day I like it, some not) and Park Royal, which I find musty-clovey. But all are worth sampling. Hope you find some treasures.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thanks for your thoughts, the_good_life!

I did know about Anglia Perfumery, I guess I just wanted to access the original source first.

I too would like to know more about Sumare. The Crown perfume names surely do preserve the mystique of fragrance ingredients and their far-away origins. If you wouldn't mind letting me know your comments on Eau de Russe when you obtain it, I would love to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Town & Country is my favorite as well. I bought mine from a seller in the Netherlands and it is still perfect.

From Anglia, I have Park Royal and Sissinghurst. I enjoy them both very much.

I have not bought any Crown fragrances from Parfumsraffy, but they have an excellent reputation.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 16th September 2008 at 10:38 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

TwoRoads,

What is Sissinghurst like? I know that one of the famous gardens of Sissinghurst Castle contains almost all white flowers - is the fragrance a white/heady floral?

Town and Country is a thumbs-up for many, it seems. Is it the fragrance's resemblance to the Blenheim Bouquet style, or is it a quality unique to T&C?

J.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 16th September 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    What is Sissinghurst like? I know that one of the famous gardens of Sissinghurst Castle contains almost all white flowers - is the fragrance a white/heady floral?

Town and Country is a thumbs-up for many, it seems. Is it the fragrance's resemblance to the Blenheim Bouquet style, or is it a quality unique to T&C?

J.
    Sissinghurst is my wife's favorite fragrance from Anglia. It is not a heady scent. Longevity is very good on me but not so good on my wife. Be prepared to refresh as needed. The spices really stand out on my skin while the florals recede. I would classify it as a classical Woody Oriental.

While Town & Country shares many notes with Blenheim Bouquet (lavender, thyme, rosemary and moss), they are not identical. Blenheim Bouquet is classified as a classical Citrus due to its magnificent bergamot opening. Town & Country is classified as a crisp Mossy Woods (chypre) - clary sage adds an herbal/spicy/animalic quality. I love them both - it is just that I love Town & Country a little bit more.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 17th September 2008 at 11:44 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost