Code of Conduct

Default What do they have in common? Miss Dior, Ma Griffe, Rive Gauche

I want ideas for presents for my mother. She likes ONLY these fragrances, although I think she also liked a Lancome once.

To me they all have something in common... some key ingredient that makes them seem a bit "40 year old lady-ish". What is it? I thought of "aldehyde" but only because I had no idea of what aldehyde was and so that was my only idea.

Any idea what that is, or other fragrances she might like?

PS for male readers: Keep in mind this is the female Rive Gauche

Default Re: What do they have in common? Miss Dior, Ma Griffe, Rive Gauche

From Michael Edwards "Fragrances of the World" Online, the following suggestions were given:

If you like Rive Gauche, try:

Dazzling Silver - Estee Lauder
    Beyond Paradise Blue - Estee Lauder
    Happy Heart - Clinique

If you like MaGriffe OR Miss Dior - the suggestions were the same:

Arabian Wood - Tom Ford
    Aromatics Elixir - Clinique
    Knowing - Estee Lauder

These seem like decent suggestions to me! Good luck!

Smile Re: What do they have in common? Miss Dior, Ma Griffe, Rive Gauche

Try Calandre by Paco Rabanne. Luca Turin in "Perfumes: the Guide" said that Calandre and Rive Gauche smell very similar to one another. Calandre is a gorgeous scent, by the way!

Blog Entries

'Miss Dior' is a green chypre, 'Rive Gauche' is a great aldehyde and 'Ma Griffe' is a green Aldehyde. They all have a bracing crispness to them. You might try Balmain's 'Ivoire', Gre's 'Cabochard' or one of the best new reissues I've tried; 'Givenchy III' at Neiman's. I also like Estee Lauder's 'White Linen'. A very different aldehyde. I guess at 50 I qualify as an old lady.

I am not an expert, but I can I add Madame Rochas (soapy aldehydes) and Molinard de Molinard (don't know how to describe it but parts of it remind me of my beloved Rive Gauche from the 80s) to the list.
    I'd definitely agree with most of Kumquat's suggestions above, as well. A nice thing about this style of perfume is that it doesn't seem to be in vogue at the moment, so you can often pick up bargains in the online discounters.
    And Calandre is described as being incredibly close to Rive Gauche and possibly better than it now (or more true to the original fragrance) because it hasn't been fiddled with over the years.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I think kumquat's suggestions are fabulous! Especially the Ivoire by Balmain!

They are all rather green, aldehydic scents. I second Calandre - a "must-try"!!

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention two I discovered since I started BN; 'Mitsouko' and 'Chanel #19, best in the EDP. They also fit into that crisp, tangy chypre catagory, my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    From Michael Edwards "Fragrances of the World" Online, the following suggestions were given:

If you like Rive Gauche, try:

Dazzling Silver - Estee Lauder
    Beyond Paradise Blue - Estee Lauder
    Happy Heart - Clinique

If you like MaGriffe OR Miss Dior - the suggestions were the same:

Arabian Wood - Tom Ford
    Aromatics Elixir - Clinique
    Knowing - Estee Lauder

These seem like decent suggestions to me! Good luck!
    I like Miss Dior, Ma Griffe and Rive Gauche, but I'm not at all crazy about any of the above, except for maybe liking "Knowing" a little bit. No comment on Tom Ford's "Arabian Wood", though - didn't sample it.

If she liked a Lancome scent, most likely it was Climat (I first thought of Magie Noir, but decided Climat was probably the one). They've recently re-issued it - why not give it a whiff?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro View Post
    I like Miss Dior, Ma Griffe and Rive Gauche, but I'm not at all crazy about any of the above, except for maybe liking "Knowing" a little bit. No comment on Tom Ford's "Arabian Wood", though - didn't sample it.

If she liked a Lancome scent, most likely it was Climat (I first thought of Magie Noir, but decided Climat was probably the one). They've recently re-issued it - why not give it a whiff?
    Yes, Climat -- I think you are right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I think kumquat's suggestions are fabulous! Especially the Ivoire by Balmain!
    Just curious while we're on the subject: Would you consider Ivoire aldehydic, or not? It sounds like one I would like, but I'm learning that I can't wear some aldehydes.

Blog Entries

I'd say it's more green and tangy, along the lines of 'Miss Dior', only deeper. It also reminds me of 'Fendi' if you know that one. It has a green/woodiness- tangy- moss thing--probably galbanum. The good thing about it is you can pick it up cheap at discount easily.

Yup. Green. If you want her to try something "younger" try Covet.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Try Joy, Chanel No. 5, Arpege, Calache, & My Sin. In that order.

I would be interested to see what she though of the original Chloe. It's not something I thought of at first but it stuck in my head as an option. Heck, trying something is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by beltz View Post
    I want ideas for presents for my mother. She likes ONLY these fragrances, although I think she also liked a Lancome once.

To me they all have something in common... some key ingredient that makes them seem a bit "40 year old lady-ish". What is it? I thought of "aldehyde" but only because I had no idea of what aldehyde was and so that was my only idea.

dearest beltz, I feel that I must interject here that "40 year old lady-ish" women are approaching the peaks of their womanly prowess.
    I know we are talking about your mother here, but that phrase just sounded so old.

anyhoo, I shall offer a suggestion...Divine from the house of Divine reminded me of Rive Gauche when I sampled it. I will say that it is a frag that must be used sparingly lest it overwhelm, however you can get samples at luckyscent from this house. Other basenoters have fallen in love with a number of perfumes from Divine.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 5th October 2008 at 12:20 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Must add the green chypre Y by Yves Saint Laurent; it so fits in with the others...
    This scent seems almost forgotten these days - I think it´s time for its revival!
    Last edited by musse; 5th October 2008 at 02:39 PM.

What about a different approach? Your mother has good taste; she likes classics. Why not introduce her to other classics by the same houses? For example:
    Diorella or YSL Paris?
    I too think that Calandre is a good idea.

As her preferences are also ladylike, what about
    Guerlain, Apres L'Ondee or Liu?

Quote Originally Posted by beltz View Post

Since you requested: the note all these perfumes have in common is the oakmoss and they are chypres.

Why do you want to offer her another frag? If she only loves Miss Dior, Ma Griffe and Rive Gauche, then offer her one of these! Do you want to please her or to please yourself?
    She will be more glad if you offer one of her favourite fragrances (that proves that you listen to what she says and know her tastes) than if you buy something that only you like (in this case she might be offensed and might think you dislike her perfumes and want to change her).

What is the aim to make a gift? Only to please the receiver.
    If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”

(extract from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Think about it...