Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Vetiver Eau de Cologne by Guerlain

I searched and searched the old archived threads, and I can't find a thread devoted to the Eau de Cologne formula of Vetiver by Guerlain.

I wish scentemental still was here (on BN) because I found some threads where he mentioned it. Basically he said it was an entirely different scent profile than the regular Vetiver.

Of course, the 'new' Vetiver does not even come out in EdC at all - only EdT. So, any bottle that you see of the EdC is 'old juice'. The bottle I have looks like the picture below and the juice is gold (not green).

My bottle, that I have been enjoying for a few weeks now, smells fantastic! I can't wait to skin test it with 'old' EdT and 'new' EdT - to really detect the differences. For now, I love it. It's light, subtle, slightly salty and lasts forever! Classic Guerlain through-and-through.

Anyone else own this formulation? Would anyone compare this to Vetiver After Shave?

Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th September 2008 at 02:50 AM.

Default Re: Vetiver Eau de Cologne by Guerlain

I've never tried the EDC,alas. It's one I've always been interested in,you've found a gem by the sounds of it. I'm looking forward to how it compares with the two EDT creations,the salty part,in particular,sounds good,as I get a little of this from the vintage EDT.

It's such a shame I don't own Vetiver EdC, especially considering that Vetiver - in any edition - is my all-time favourite Guerlin! I missed an eBay auction once, selling both Vetiver EdC and Habit Rouge EdC dry (an early flanker). Someday, I'll get one though... Please tell more, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    It's such a shame I don't own Vetiver EdC, especially considering that Vetiver - in any edition - is my all-time favourite Guerlin! I missed an eBay auction once, selling both Vetiver EdC and Habit Rouge EdC dry (an early flanker). Someday, I'll get one though... Please tell more, Mike!
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/VETIVER-DE-GUERLA...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks sofresh for the link. I actually noticed it, but it's kind of small, isn't it? I could use 50 ml in one month...

Thanks sofresh for the link. I actually noticed it, but it's kind of small, isn't it? I could use 50 ml in one month...
    Ha...I suppose. I guess you'd have to keep it sealed as a reference bottle if it's now difficult to come by. For your collection only.

There was a thread this past summer, I think by Mr. Guerlain--a scent synchronized day to test the new version and the vintage. However, I do not know if the vintage was EDT or EDC. There was definitely some talk about the difference in color.

It was a test of the EdT only. Somehow, the Vetiver EdC doesn't get as much attention as the Habit Rouge EdC. Another puzzling thing is that vintage Vetiver is much harder to come by than vintage Habit Rouge. I sometimes wonder if Vetiver was produced in smaller quantity...?

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    There was a thread this past summer, I think by Mr. Guerlain--a scent synchronized day to test the new version and the vintage. However, I do not know if the vintage was EDT or EDC. There was definitely some talk about the difference in color.

I'm curious, isn't eau de cologne concentrated? And if so, only a small amount will suffice, or is that eau de parfume?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    I'm curious, isn't eau de cologne concentrated? And if so, only a small amount will suffice, or is that eau de parfume?
    Well in the perfume industry, the term Eau de Cologne references a 'lighter' version of a fragrance. Conversely, the term Eau de Parfum references a 'heavier' version.

However, many fragrance houses use these terms loosely, and there are many examples where a scent in the Eau de Cologne, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Parfum smell completely different and have wildly disparate degrees of longevity/sillage/etc.

In the case of the Vetiver EdC by Guerlain, I am trying to determine if this Eau de Cologne has a different fragrance profile than the Eau de Toilette. I am happy with the longevity of the EdC - no problem at all. But I have a sneaking suspicion, that the EdT smells completely different. Which means one could own both the EdC and the EdT, since they're 'different'.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th September 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Somehow, the Vetiver EdC doesn't get as much attention as the Habit Rouge EdC.
    I agree, which is why I started this thread.

Why do we guys go bananas about Habit Rouge EdC here on the boards, yet noone (except pluran or scentemental, that I could find) even mentions it, much less posts their impressions of it?? It's kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree, which is why I started this thread.

Why do we guys go bananas about Habit Rouge EdC here on the boards, yet noone (except pluran or scentemental, that I could find) even mentions it, much less posts their impressions of it?? It's kind of weird.

Not so weird, Mike. Vetiver EdC is very hard to find, while Habit Rouge is relatively easy to find in EdC strength.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well in the perfume industry, the term Eau de Cologne references a 'lighter' version of a fragrance. Conversely, the term Eau de Parfum references a 'heavier' version.

However, many fragrance houses use these terms loosely, and there are many examples where a scent in the Eau de Cologne, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Parfum smell completely different and have wildly disparate degrees of longevity/sillage/etc.

In the case of the Vetiver EdC by Guerlain, I am trying to determine if this Eau de Cologne has a different fragrance profile than the Eau de Toilette. I am happy with the longevity of the EdC - no problem at all. But I have a sneaking suspicion, that the EdT smells completely different. Which means one could own both the EdC and the EdT, since they're 'different'.
    Thanks Mike, appreciate the clarification. I have so much to learn. Just purchased a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver EdT from Scentiments.com, the EdC seems enticing to compare.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    Thanks Mike, appreciate the clarification. I have so much to learn. Just purchased a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver EdT from Scentiments.com, the EdC seems enticing to compare.
    You're welcome. Enjoy your EdT - in the upcoming cooler weather, this fragrance should wear beautifully.

Since I have been wearing my EdC, I have the feeling it is much more of a warm weather vetiver (clear, salty, slightly bright) whereas I am thinking the EdT (and it's stronger tobacco accord) might wear better in the cool weather. Just guessing...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th September 2008 at 09:59 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I rarely wear just one fragrance ALL DAY. If anyone tracks my SOTD posts, I usually always put on a new scent midday. However today, for the first time in a long while, I only wore Vetiver EdC all day.

This stuff is amazing. It's not a sillage monster. But then, that's not what I want - when I'm spending a weekend day at home doing chores, relaxing, etc. I applied it at 10:00am and at around 7:00 pm where I sniffed my skin I could still pick up the scent. Amazing.

I am amazed at the tenacity of a Eau de Cologne formula. It's ability to stick around without getting synthetic, cloying or irritating is brilliant.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th October 2008 at 02:59 AM.

Finally managed to get a 100 ml Vetiver EdC for a bargain on eBay - and that even in the first edition bottle, perfectly preserved. Happy with that, as Vetiver is my all-time favourite. It's delightful, softer, slightly more "feminine", a bit salty. In the long run, I'd miss the EdT's ooompphh though.

Basenotes Institution

Finally managed to get a 100 ml Vetiver EdC for a bargain on eBay - and that even in the first edition bottle, perfectly preserved. Happy with that, as Vetiver is my all-time favourite. It's delightful, softer, slightly more "feminine", a bit salty. In the long run, I'd miss the EdT's ooompphh though.
    Congrat's U.

When you say 'first bottle' I'm assuming you mean the square, glass one with the gold edged label with the gold cap? Please let me know when you've posted a pic of it on your site.

I was interested to hear your interpretation of it, since you are such a devotee of the EdT and Elle. The salty and quieter aspect of the EdC, is my favorite part.

I got a back up bottle of the EdC (my one and only fragrance that I have a backup bottle of!) that looks like this:
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd June 2009 at 07:58 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yes that's the one, the bottle design introduced in 1965. It turned out to be sealed underneath the cap, so a slight evaporation must have occurred, but the scent is like new. The soft, almost floral impression of the woody-coumarin-vetiver is a dream - yet in the long run I'll always love the 1996 EdT the most, I think...

MY old Vetivers from Guerlain. They date from the 1980s and are reserved for VERY special occasions. The spray bottle on the left originally contained another Guerlain scent (if I can trust my memory). The bottle on the right contains "Cologne rafraîchissante pour le corps".

I have never come across a better scent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    MY old Vetivers from Guerlain. They date from the 1980s and are reserved for VERY special occasions. The spray bottle on the left originally contained another Guerlain scent (if I can trust my memory). The bottle on the right contains "Cologne rafraîchissante pour le corps".

I have never come across a better scent.
    I agree Luis.

Looks like you own the EdT and the Refreshing Body Splash. So Luis, have you smelled the EdC? I think it is better than both of those. I'd love to hear others opinions.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th June 2009 at 08:50 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

As I wrote, I really love the soft character of the EdC, but I think the EdT (yellow juice) was a better blend, a better spiciness, and I miss the very late development of the vetiver root in the EdC.