Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 57 of 57
  1. #31


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    I am going to take the ones with the most votes and then use them to compile the poll.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Guerlain Shalimar
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
    Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin
    Opium Pour Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme

  3. #33

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    I am going to take the ones with the most votes and then use them to compile the poll.
    I know that that is the only logical way to do it, but the problem with this is it's sort of a self perpetuating cycle. Only the most known/available frags get the most votes, so only they end up on the poll, and so the next batch of newbies only investigates those frags, and the cycle begins over again.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  4. #34


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I know that that is the only logical way to do it, but the problem with this is it's sort of a self perpetuating cycle. Only the most known/available frags get the most votes, so only they end up on the poll, and so the next batch of newbies only investigates those frags, and the cycle begins over again.
    Maybe, no other way to do this dude. On the other hand, I propose you look at it this way: it is woth compiling the list, especially since some niches will make it on there causing the curious newbie(s) to try 1, 2 or maybe even 3-4 scents he would have never known about. Maybe that newbie(s) loves orientals and wants to try something new or likes what he hears about a niche like Oriental Vetiver and reads the reviews and decides to branch out. You have to approach these things from a positive standpoint, this is very important. I think you are looking at this from a darker light. As a newbie, compiling this list will allow me to inquire aout scents that I would never have thought of otherwise, in fact, part of my reasoning for compiling this list and poll is my own self-interest in orientals so I can find new fragrances. Additonally, I expect I am not alone here. I think this, in and of itself, contradicts your point. Importantly, I am looking at this from a positive perspective so please do not my disagreement as offensive.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 18th September 2008 at 07:42 AM.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Well, it's just very clear that this happens here - look at Terre D'Hermes, Mugler cologne, and Creed.

    I'm not saying don't go ahead with your poll or anything like that - just be sure to have an "other" option .
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  6. #36


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, it's just very clear that this happens here - look at Terre D'Hermes, Mugler cologne, and Creed.

    I'm not saying don't go ahead with your poll or anything like that - just be sure to have an "other" option .
    Yes, you have that right, especially with the Creed saga.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Maybe, no other way to do this dude.
    That's a defeatist attitude... there is always another way to do something.

    You could always leave the ten most popular orientals off the poll because it is highly likely that they will get the majority of votes. Those that have the most recommendations on this thread most likely don't really need the exposure on basenotes. That would leave those others that are perhaps less well known but deserving of some respect. You wouldn't have to leave the top ten off the list entirely, just mention them in the opening post of the thread while excluding them from the poll. Or you could create two polls one for the wel known perfumes and one for the lesser known recommendations; or two polls one designer and one niche.
    Last edited by surreality; 18th September 2008 at 12:39 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  8. #38

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    You could always leave the ten most popular orientals off the poll because it is highly likely that they will get the majority of votes. Those that have the most recommendations on this thread most likely don't really need the exposure on basenotes. That would leave those others that are perhaps less well known but deserving of some respect. You wouldn't have to leave the top ten off the list entirely, just mention them in the opening post of the thread while excluding them from the poll. Or you could create two polls one for the wel known perfumes and one for the lesser known recommendations; or two polls one designer and one niche.



    TheAttorney, in my opinion it would be a messy poll and there are just too many choices in Orientals , more than the 20 the polls allow. Again in my humble opinion if you break them down to say niche/mainstream and even gourmand/spicy/woody etc you might get a better response. In any case as you know polls are a minefield and some members think they are counter productive and some find them educational, another problem mentioned by one of the guys is that as for niches, very few people have tried the lesser known ones and the results will be skewed in favor of the famous one whether 'better" or not.

  9. #39
    wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Cartier Baiser du Dragon
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

  10. #40
    silverbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    4,939
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Iceberg Twice
    Hanoi Mori
    Habit Rouge
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Zino Davidoff
    Chanel Allure Homme
    Annick Goutal Sables
    Dunhill Desire for a Man
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

  11. #41
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,612
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Aramis JHL
    Aramis JHL
    Aramis JHL

    There... I picked three!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

    Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

  12. #42

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Cartier Baiser du Dragon
    Nice to see this great unisex oriental getting a mention, made by the nose behind Givenchy Pi and quite similar.

  13. #43

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    In addition to those mentioned, I like Tiffany for Men.

  14. #44


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Man, that Opium EDP is strong stuff I sprayed some on last night and it is still very much with me, I guess in some EDTs vs. EDPs it really makes quite a difference. As JamieB mentioned, this seems to be the case re: Jaipur.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 18th September 2008 at 04:54 PM.

  15. #45


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    That's a defeatist attitude... there is always another way to do something.

    You could always leave the ten most popular orientals off the poll because it is highly likely that they will get the majority of votes. Those that have the most recommendations on this thread most likely don't really need the exposure on basenotes. That would leave those others that are perhaps less well known but deserving of some respect. You wouldn't have to leave the top ten off the list entirely, just mention them in the opening post of the thread while excluding them from the poll. Or you could create two polls one for the wel known perfumes and one for the lesser known recommendations; or two polls one designer and one niche.
    Your point is well taken, however, unfortunately, this is not a thread about how to make the “perfect thread,” so I will leave it at that for fear of veering off topic here. We can go back and forth all day re: how to create the “perfect thread” and I suspect if I respond with my feelings on this issue then this thread very well may turn into that. With that said, if you would like to discuss further or add anything I would be more than happy to discuss via PM.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 18th September 2008 at 05:08 PM.

  16. #46

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Tiffany for men. Sensual and intoxicating.

    Zino Davidoff. Seductive.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

  17. #47

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Opium pour Homme - YSL
    Noir Epics - Frederic Malle
    Egoiste - Chanel
    Ambre Sultan - Serge Lutens
    Jaipur Homme - Boucheron

  18. #48
    Asha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,456

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Bois des Isles (although not sure if it is strictly an oriental)
    Chanel Coromandel
    MPG Amber Precieux
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    Montale Blue Amber
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouli
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Miller Harris L'Air de Rien

  19. #49

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    News:

    CK Euphoria Intense

  20. #50

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Your point is well taken, however, unfortunately, this is not a thread about how to make the “perfect thread,” so I will leave it at that for fear of veering off topic here. We can go back and forth all day re: how to create the “perfect thread” and I suspect if I respond with my feelings on this issue then this thread very well may turn into that. With that said, if you would like to discuss further or add anything I would be more than happy to discuss via PM.
    Spoken like a true Attorney(!)

  21. #51

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Serge Lutens, Fumerie Turque
    D'Orsay, Le Dandy
    Guerlain, Habit Rouge

  22. #52
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Costume National Homme - AWESOME!! The greatest longevity and projection, second only to JHL
    JHL by Aramis - Potent Cinnamon & great longevity and projection
    Azzaro Pour Homme Intense

  23. #53
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios
    Posts
    133,290

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    One I enjoy is Oajan by Parfums de Marly
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  24. #54

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Burberry Brit for Men
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin Eau de Minuit
    Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio for Men
    Gucci Envy
    Costume National Homme
    Chanel Egoiste
    Guerlain Heritage

    And something I've always though was only borderline Oriental - Hermes Equipage

  25. #55

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Cartier Baiser du Dragon
    If we're going that way, Dior Midnight Poison too. Way more Unisex than some "Mens" frags

  26. #56

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Jaipur Homme EDP, L`Occitane Ambre et Santal and Opium Eau d`Orient may be quite good options within this particular fragrance category
    Currently wearing: Mesmerize for Men by Avon

  27. #57
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Iowa
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Best Men's Oriental Fragrance

    Many from Lutens and Guerlain.

Similar Threads

  1. Serge Lutens
    By The_love in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 13th February 2013, 05:42 PM
  2. List of 2008 fragrance releases - which ones are you excited about?
    By mikeperez23 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 1st August 2008, 05:19 PM
  3. Any suggestions for a men's fragrance with similar notes to Monsieur Rochas Old One?
    By Ulises Rodriguez in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd March 2008, 01:03 PM
  4. List of 2008 fragrance releases - which ones are you excited about?
    By mikeperez23 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2nd January 2008, 04:07 PM
  5. REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6>>>ORIENTALS
    By Quarry in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10th February 2007, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000