Code of Conduct

Thumbs up So why are some perfumes being discontinued

Hello everybody,

I write this to vent out my anxiety and get some answers from the experts out there....

So here I am sitting and sniffing LUI by Rochas- trying to understand its subtle nuances and characters- such sublime beauty...and then I remembered reading that this gem was being discontinued...!!! Why- I panic and ask this question again to my self- why in the name of the holy lord would anyone want to retire this gem??

I remembered of having a similar panic attack when M7 was rumored of being discontinued...I simply could not stand of having my favorite cologne being discontinued - and I spoke to a few of my SA's and they too confirmed my fears that YSL was thinking of discontinuing M7. In a state of panic I bought 5 bottles of M7 !!!

the panic attack has subsided now and the cold logic engine takes over again...why would any company - discontinue a perfume?

havana , globe, antaeus, m7, Helmut lang ph, Cuiron, etc...gems like these- which have got cult status are being take off the shelf - for no apparent reason !!

from a business point of view...these colognes have a substantial market demand- the raw materials for these may be synthetically made ( should we human make the agarwood tree completely extinct) ...so for product that has good demand- the capitalistic engine should be able to churn out these products very fluently...but sadly it isnt the case...

I am sure most of you too would have asked this same question while smelling Cuiron or Havana..." why the F was this taken off??"

Are we falling prey to a clever marketting gimmick?

I would love to know your point of view on this problem

Cheers
    Zeph

Default Re: So why are some perfumes being discontinued

From a cold, business perspective I believe it is all about dollars and cents.

A corporation is in business to make money. If a product line isn't bringing in a certain amount of revenue and profit to the corporation then it is discontinued.

There are many cases of superior products that were discontinued in favor of inferior products (Beta lost to VHS, HD DVD to Bluray, any political campaign )

There are 1000's of fragrances released every year around the globe competing for market share with all the existing fragrances.

A developed nose with the ability to discern many individual notes is something that very few possess and therefore the nuances and complexity of a fragrance are lost on most people.

As the old saying goes "you never go broke appealing to the masses".

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Along similar lines, reformulation (usually, evisceration) of marvelous perfumes is a topic that makes me grind my teeth.

The average buyer is often unaware that the reformulation has taken place and is just left to wonder why their favorite perfume isn't as good as they remember it.

The more discerning nose is annoyed that they just spent good money on a now-inferior product.

I think reformulations should have to be stated on the back of the box (e.g. "reformulated 2008")-- it's a matter of truth in advertising.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 19th September 2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: removed superfluous 'and'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Along similar lines, reformulation (usually, evisceration) of marvelous perfumes is a topic that makes me grind my teeth.

The average buyer is often unaware that the reformulation has taken place and is just left to wonder why their favorite perfume isn't as good as they remember it.

The more discerning nose is annoyed that they just spent good money on a now-inferior product.

I think reformulations and should have to be stated on the back of the box (e.g. "reformulated 2008")-- it's a matter of truth in advertising.
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr16 View Post

havana , globe, antaeus, m7, Helmut lang ph, Cuiron, etc...gems like these- which have got cult status are being take off the shelf - for no apparent reason !!
    well antaeus and M7 are nowhere near being discontinued! you can get them EVERYWHERE around here....and they are totally in production.

The Helmut Lang fragrances are a different story. When their fragrance line had been released, Prada was in ownership of the company---and Mr. Helmut Lang himself was still calling the shots with the company. Those fragrances were produced when Helmut Lang (the man) was in charge....he commissioned those scents.

The company was then taken over and purchased by Theory Holdings out of Japan. Helmut Lang left his OWN company, and it appears has left fashion altogether. Theory Holdings stopped production of Cuiron and the EdC and EdP. These were made by Proctor & Gamble. When the deal with P&G fell through after Theory bought the company, the fragrances were discontinued. They were already pretty limited edition, so i don't think P&G or Theory really made an effort to keep them in production.

whether Helmut Lang comes back with another scent OR a reissue under Theory Holdings or not remains to be seen. There are alot of rumours that Cuiron is coming back....but who knows!

as of right now, Helmut Lang is strictly clothing.....as far as i know---under Theory Holdings.
    Last edited by everso; 22nd September 2008 at 12:37 PM.