Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Into the Fire - Writing for the Louisville Courier-Journal

I couldn't tell you why it's been weighing on my mind so heavily the past few weeks but I've been really considering applying as a columnist for the Louisville Courier-Journal, writing fragrance reviews. This is not some small-time local paper (which I've written for before at high-school paper and county paper levels), but a Gannett publication, the same guys that publish USA Today and 90 other newspapers around the country. If it was my old paper (The Paducah Sun) I think I'd probably have better luck, I don't know if I really have the pedigree for the position. Nevertheless I think I'm gonna suck it up and see what I can find out about writing for a paper with an average readership of 617,000.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Into the Fire - Writing for the Louisville Courier-Journal

That'd be way cool. We need someone on the inside!

Do it! We could use someone like you writing fragrance reviews for a newspaper!

And maybe if that works, I could move out to Indianapolis and get a similar job at the Indianapolis Star (another Gannett paper).
    Last edited by MFfan310; 19th September 2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Go for it! I find Y'alls blog to be very engaging- I'm sure that yr potential readers would feel the connection instantly. Good Luck!
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

That would give me a reason to buy the Courier-Journal again. I haven't bought it in ages! It might also eventually improve our perfume shop options around here. Go for it!

Blog Entries

Go for it! I hope it pans out. And if it doesn't, don't give up. Try a few more. I think there are some good reasons to think you might well have a shot at this.