Code of Conduct

Default LIB Goes to Egypt - And This Happens

Oh, oh, oh.
    I am breathless and pulling my own hair in disbelief.
    LIB, now I really do envy your trip to Egypt--as if I didn't before--
    but, now I have
    olfactory proof that you have been to heaven and back.

Thank you so very much, good lady, for the fantastic Egyptian oils. Birdy had a Birthday today with gifts galore, regardless of the actual date, it was party for me.

If these samples are a tiny bit indicative of what is available in the market there, I urge any Basenoter, "Run, don't walk!" to Egypt and procure oils. I would go crazy there. I would go out of my head if I had to make decisions like, "Which ones should I buy?"

Let me talk about them--nay, gush--about them:

Oud - *Sighing* This puts Montale to shame, especially for the price you probably paid for it. If you paid alot, then it was worth it. If not, then you got a great deal. It is amazing stuff. Gorgeous, ethereal, bitter wood gradually segues into a sweet base, making for a near-perfect oud "soliflore." This is like Montale's Original Aoud, only stronger. This is fabulous. Can I buy a vat of it?

Jasmine - Low concentration. A luxurious, smooth, creamy jasmine that is a perfume all by itself. It smells like gardenia accord. Fruity, slightly animalic, with a hint of banana candy that makes my mouth water. High concentration - Sharper, brighter, more of a fruity floral, a sweeter, headier jasmine. (Is this the same jasmine as the first, only stronger? It smells quite different.) I do prefer the one marked "low concentration" although both are pretty and neither is raunchy or indolic.

Sandalwood - I don't know if it's real, but if so, it is the smoothest sandalwood I have ever smelled. No harsh, sappy, evergreeny top notes to dispel before it settles into soft woodiness. Not a very strong concentration, though. I can vouch for the fact that this is not one of the synthetics of Sandalore or Javanol because it does not turn into a huge, diffusive, indelible presence. It fades pleasantly away as time goes by.

Opium (duplicate) - Mercy sakes, this takes me back a few decades. Only it's better than the oil I had in the 70s. The spices aren't as brash. I can't do a side-by-side comparison with the real thing until I go to the store, but you know, this is so nice that I wouldn't care if it was an accurate reproduction of not; I am enjoying it completely.

Mystery Perfume - Oh, you cruel girl, LIB. You won't tell me what this is! Alright, my first guess, right off the bat is...Rochas Femme. And yes, that is my official answer. It has the strong plum note, it develops into sweet cumin, and I'm fairly sure that the saltiness in the base qualifies it as a Chypre. (Am I nearly right? Do tell. Default second guess, Chypre de Coty.) Wow! Nice, at any rate. I love it.

Did you, by any chance, get business cards or web addresses from the vendors?
    This was an amazing experience.
    Thank you, so very much, LIB.

I tried to find a thread by you about your trip to tack this on, but I couldn't. So I just started this. I hope you don't mind.

(Also, please check the Note Identification Thread for a complete rundown on your Swap Package and a review of your very own perfume creation, Beastly Jasmine.) http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=210096&page=6
    Last edited by purplebird7; 19th September 2008 at 02:49 AM.

Default Re: LIB Goes to Egypt - And This Happens

I'm green with envy for both you and LiB!

You do gush finely PBird. Many thanks for the lovely descriptions, so that we can experience them too.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Institution

((checking airline rates to Cairo))

Nah, Chypre de Coty is NOT plummy at all to/on me. Must be Femme. How about Parure? Or, Mitsouko? *khm khm*

Lived in both Cairo and Alexandria back in 1995, spent a few weekends on the Red Sea. A few shops with oils that I visited offered a nice selection, some were dupes of well-known perfumes, quality-wise ranging from "spot on" to "nothing of the kind". Single note oils were the best, though.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us all!

:toppie:

*sigh*
    Oh to visit the souks and medinas of north Africa.... *groan*

Great post purplebird!

How wonderful for you, LIB !

It IS a different aesthetic, isn't it ?
    That's what folks miss who hail from that area...
    [I love discussing it with them, when they stop by the Chanel counter]

Enjoy, Birdie and LIB !

I can just see myself, wandering among the stalls with a local interpreter--it would take up the whole vacation, and my family would abandon me in a huff. And I would need a whole empty suitcase for the return trip. Maybe its best that I didn't get to go...

Well, belated Happy Birthday and enjoy the oils

Purplebird, girl, my eyes popped out of my head when I saw this thread

Never would I have expected such an enthusiastic praise of my Egyptian oils!

I guess the young Egyptian shop owner in El Quseir (not Cairo) whom I pressed to find me the oud oil and the more concentrated jasmine oil would be very pleased
    Well, those who were following the Note ID project thread almost got the "live story" of my search, but indeed, I had only to wait a few days....and he went on the oud quest and was rewarded with quite a big comprehensive buy from me. I've no problems either to tell you the price of the oud oil, folks: it was 20 Euros for a 10 ml roll-on. The sticker on the bottle is in Arabic only (that's a good sign, IMO) and when I asked what was written on it, he told me it was the name and address of the manufacturer - Mecca Perfumes is all I remember.

P-bird
    , in identifying it as an oud soliflore, you did help me a lot! To my nose, there was quite a huge amount of musk in the drydown...now I have to revise my mental classification of oud. Well, I never smelled the real thing, so my only reference was Montale

As to the jasmine oils, my favourite is the stronger concentration one. It is a perfume by itself, with a remarkable fruity aspect (banana, mainly). Although both should be Egyptian jasmine, I suspect the two types are not from the same source.

The sandalwood oil: yes, it's very soft and smooth and lacks the tiny acidic facet I normally detect in sandalwood bases. The shop owner told me several times that it was "Akassia" wood (a type of acacia which grows abundantly over there), not really sandalwood - whatever it is, it's very pleasant.

Purplebird, I'm glad you like also the Opium dupe - I told you I would have sent you a tiny bit, for the sake of old times

Mystery Perfume Sample: I thought it would add a bit of fun to the package! I really miss Twolf's blind sniffing project
    Well, let me tease you a little bit more. It's not Chypre by Coty .... which Femme? Vintage or new formulation?
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 19th September 2008 at 09:34 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I was dissapointed in the soukhs of Marocco (marrakech), i wouldn´t recommend them. They were just there aimed at foreigners and the quality of the products was low. And be careful what guide you use because they might insist on bringing you to their family so you can get a great deal on something you do not want.

I asked around for perfume and no one knew where there was a good store that had some. I found some blocks of amber and musk, it smells nice and pretty damn good and it´s cheap but I had dreams of finding more and didn´t.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Mmmmmm.....thanks for the minute-vacation! That was a vicarious thrill.

Lady in Black, where have you been to in Cairo?
    I'm really glad you liked it here and found good stuff to take back home.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Oooh wow I want to go to Egypt now! Ok, I've found a translator, now need money to get there (that may take another 10 years!)

Basenotes Plus

Oh my....fans self......fans some more...this is swoon worthy. Just thinking about the search for the oils & the scents!
    Lucky birdy!
    Lucky Lady!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ((checking airline rates to Cairo))
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Oh to visit the souks and medinas of north Africa.... *groan*
    Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Oooh wow I want to go to Egypt now! Ok, I've found a translator, now need money to get there (that may take another 10 years!)
    Seriously you guys just come any time. I don't claim to be an expert in the city (let alone the souks of North Africa I'm asking LiB for directions in my city and she lives in Italy ), but I'd be glad to help any of you nice fellows in any way I can.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 20th September 2008 at 03:11 AM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

..and some wonder why I daily visit the Female Fragrance Discussion Board!

This is great copy~
    Last edited by kbe; 20th September 2008 at 04:03 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I'm asking LiB for directions in my city and she lives in Italy ), but I'd be glad to help any of you nice fellows in any way I can.
    Hi Mostapha, even I can't help you out in Cairo, since I've never been there
    I've been vacationing in El Quseir this year, but have been to your beautiful country twice before (El Gouna and Dahab), have explored the SInai desert and have stood in wonder and awe in Luxor and in the Valley of Kings. I hope I'll visiting Cairo, the pyramids and cruising the Nile sooner or later...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Purplebird, girl, my eyes popped out of my head when I saw this thread
    Ha, ha! I could not let you get away without taking responsibility for these wonderful finds. I enjoyed them so much.

I guess the young Egyptian shop owner in El Quseir (not Cairo) whom I pressed to find me the oud oil ...would be very pleased ...The sticker on the bottle ..was the name and address of the manufacturer - Mecca Perfumes is all I remember.
    But I can't find it online. Ack. This is beautiful stuff. What is the address?

To my nose, there was quite a huge amount of musk in the drydown...now I have to revise my mental classification of oud.
    No, please don't do that. You're right. I said oud in a sweet base, and I think you're correct, it's musk. But the oud is a "soliflore" because there aren't many other notes like the Montales. Maybe theres a bit of rose or saffron, but the oud shines through. Gosh, it's gorgeous and well worth the price. That wasn't anywhere as expensive as I thought it would be.

I hope the real oud in my swap-package reaches you. It is raw, not refined, and it absolutely stinks like hardwood mulch and feces.

The sandalwood oil: yes, it's very soft and smooth and lacks the tiny acidic facet I normally detect in sandalwood bases. The shop owner told me several times that it was "Akassia" wood (a type of acacia which grows abundantly over there), not really sandalwood - whatever it is, it's very pleasant.
    Ah, I see, acacia. That would account for the fact that it smells like utterly realistic wood, but it lacks the long-lasting powdery drydown of sandalwood.

Mystery Perfume Sample:Well, let me tease you a little bit more.... which Femme? Vintage or new formulation?
    My guess is that it is the new formulation. I smell cumin. But know this: I like it much better than the real new Rochas Femme because the cumin recedes quickly. I really love this Egyptian dupe!
    Last edited by purplebird7; 20th September 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Purplebird, I did already check if this alleged Mecca Perfumes of El Quseir had a site onlne but nada! I guess it's a very small local manufacturer and we can forget about getting more of anything :wave:

I'll eventually lift the veil on the Mystery Sample: who said it was an Egyptian dupe? I was just teasing..
    What you're smelling, my dear, is the mightily elusive, very confidential, very everything Italian perfume "The Party", recently renamed "The Party in Manhattan", also praised by great Roja Dove. I've heard it compared with Femme, so this only confirms that you have a great nose. :bounce:
    The notes are
    Head: bergamot, mandarin, clary sage, bourbon carnation, carrot
    Heart: jasmine, May rose, ylang-ylang, iris
    Base: vétiver, patchouli, oakmoss, ambergris.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 20th September 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Oh, totally unpredictable ending! Very interesting!

Glory be!
    I love it.
    Thank you so very much for this rare experience, LIB.

Incase any of you have missed the gist of this development, t.The perfume that I mistakenly thought was a Rochas Femme dupe from Egypt is not. It's The Party in Manhattan and it's one of those hard-to-find perfumes, as far as I know, stocked pnly by Roja Dove’s Haute Parfumerie in Harrods, London (but unavailable on Harrods online) and carried by Perfumeria Gambarini in Italy.

This from PerfumePosse.com: " Paulo Borgomanero, one of the men behind the success of Acqua di Parma, is bringing vintage scent The Party in Manhattan to the UK, and has high hopes for success."

This from ScentedSalamander: "The Party in Manhattan, was inspired or is based on a perfume launched in the 1930s by a great perfume company which will remain nameless. Its introduction was the pretext for a great celebration, a party to which 2000 luminaries and personalities of the showbiz of the time were invited....You can order the perfume The Party by phone by calling Profumeria Gambarini; a list of Italian perfumeries can be found on the brand's site."

http://www.profumeriagambarini.it/H-partyfragrance.htm

I mean to tell you, this is the epitome of a retro-fragrance that smells like the best parts of the old and the new Rochas Femme put together and made new.

Woo Ha! I love you, LIB.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 21st September 2008 at 03:43 PM.