Code of Conduct

Default Luca Turin's correction regarding Rive Gauche homme

When Rive Gauche homme first appeared on the scene I immediately bought a bottle then lost interest and ulitmately ended up giving it away.

Fast forward a few years later and after discovering the Rive Gauche Intense, I must correct my insolence and apologize to YSL.

From the design of the product to the scent, Rive Gauche is one fragrance I will keep in my wardrobe for years to come.

The Rive Gauche edt & intense versions are marvelous together and on their own. The conservative accord of Rive Gauche makes me appreciate the thoughtfulness and predictability that so many fragrances seem to overlook.

After buying fragrances for 20 years I am tired of the bombastic, erratic approach of today's scents and their 'surprise' factors. I'm 44 now and I don't need a roller coaster to get my blood going. Maybe just a picture of John Barrowman. I digress.

Also, the tonic-like RG after shave when applied to the skin has a bracing, velvet feel. You really can sense the mineral aspect that is hyped in its description.

And the shower gel, too, is also very pleasant and masculine, leaving one with a not-too-overpowering scent of Rive Gauche before you go and layer forth!

I am only midly dissappointed in not having found the RG deo spray which is probably a good supplement to the line.

Thank you Mr. Turin and Ms. Sanchez for your contribution to fragrance reviews. The world is a smellier place because of you.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Default Re: Luca Turin's correction regarding Rive Gauche homme

YSL Fragrances intimidate me. It is not because of their strong and powerful accords, their intrepid compositions or the consistently elegant aura they project. It is the female attention I get while wearing them.

I have never considered myself to be a handsome, good looking guy. I am not used to have some random girl sniffing over my neck.

It all started with M7 fresh. It was quite innocent actually. There was this couple sitting in front of me. She says “Wow honey, I see that you are finally wearing the perfume I gave you”. He says with a WTF face “What are you talking about? I do not wear cologne” Than she turns around and smiles at me. I had to smile back.

Then Rive Gauche. I do not believe in holy grails, but I had a fragasm the moment I opened that can. I taught me one thing. Older Women than me can be breathtaking. I find the term MILF to be disrespectful, but I have no problem with WOWs (wondrous older women). I actually dated a wow for quite a while. Her fav. Fragrance was RG.

And then it all went down with Kouros. I was getting the positive attention of WOWs, WYWs and Girls that are at an age that it is even illegal to talk to. Pheromones?! I do not need no stinkin’ pheromones! It also induces sexual narcissism. Even the other day I thought to myself after catching a wiff of Kouros “If I were a woman I’d do me right here, right now”

I know I am shallow, but I still smell awesome.

I bought the shower gel the other day. i did not enjoy it as much as the fragrance, but it is definitelly better than the other SGs I have tried. I bought 10 bottles on ebay
    Also, I have seen some deo sprays there, but they are usually more expensive than the EDT. Go figure.
    Can I post this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yves-Saint-Laure...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by irish; 19th September 2008 at 03:48 PM.

Count me in as a big YSL fan, RG and Kouros in particular. Graffham, being "of a certain age" myself, I can relate to your exhaustion with loud, "look at me!" fragrances. Rive Gauche PH is just a comfortable, easy to wear fragrance that fits nearly any occasion.

Hmm... that sort of makes it sound like the fragrance equivalent of light jazz...

p.s. I suppose it's common knowledge now, but I assume the title of this thread was referring to Turin's upgrade in Rive Gauche PM's rating from 3 stars to 4. Well deserved.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 19th September 2008 at 05:49 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Count me in as a big YSL fan, RG and Kouros in particular. Graffham, being "of a certain age" myself, I can relate to your exhaustion with loud, "look at me!" fragrances. Rive Gauche PH is just a comfortable, easy to wear fragrance that fits nearly any occasion.

Hmm... that sort of makes it sound like the fragrance equivalent of light jazz...

p.s. I suppose it's common knowledge now, but I assume the title of this thread was referring to Turin's upgrade in Rive Gauche PM's rating from 3 stars to 4. Well deserved.
    Yep, well deserved...now can we expect for Beyond Paradise for Men to be downgraded from a 5 to a 1 anytime soon? Turin may see the light on that one eventually; only if Calice will look the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Also, the tonic-like RG after shave when applied to the skin has a bracing, velvet feel. You really can sense the mineral aspect that is hyped in its description.
    I had the aftershave lotion,in the glass bottle,foolishly I sold it. I am going to buy it again as it is fantastic,I recall the star anise being very prominent. It had a very potent "animalistic" feel to it,it was great.I must have been stupid to sell it,I think it was something to do with buying the EDT and thinking I couldn't have both

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Where did Turin 'upgrade' it? On The Guide's website???
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th September 2008 at 09:35 PM.

The quality of YSL is exactly why I want to explore their full men's range.

I always look at the SoTD threads and look twice when graffham uses Opium PH EdP with all the matching body products. And then I saw recently Rive Gauche PH Intense used in a similar fashion. Well damn! Why can't the body products be made available here too!!!

I've got Opium PH EdP and EdT, Opium EdT (ladies, with shower gel and body lotion...thanks Joe ), Rive Gauche EdT and Intense, and recently M7 (again).

Rive Gauche has been a great addition to my wardrobe, and when I found the Intense without searching for it...how could I resist! I should wear it more often

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    http://www.perfumestheguide.com/corrections.html

Rive Gauche is fabulous but I don't wear it out often. It smells a little too classy and mature for me so I wear it weekends at home. I should really look into the light version as a substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I also read about that on the newsletter

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/pdfs...wsletter-4.pdf

I am not sure if you saw this but I think it is good to suscribe to it.

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/newsletter.html

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I also read about that on the newsletter

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/pdfs...wsletter-4.pdf

I am not sure if you saw this but I think it is good to suscribe to it.

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/newsletter.html
    I always questioned the 3 stars hr initially gave it as he calls it brilliant in other reviews. To me, it deserves 5 stars but 4 stars is good enough.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I wonder if he also did not give enough stars to Bulgari's Eau Parfumee au The Rouge.

Reinforces even more that we should base our judgments on our own satisfaction....

I've never liked Rive Gauche all that much, it's my least favourite YSL - I only bought a big bottle of it because it was on sale on the cheap counter (A$30 for the big bottle).

But my wife likes it on me a lot more than I do, so I guess it does have something going for it.

I've never come across the Intense version though, which would be interesting, as I always thought the original was too subtle.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th September 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Hey, Graffham, did you see the episode of Captain Jack with Captain Jack? Sorry, I know this is a bit off topic but it was breathtaking!

Paintrman,
    Yep, and Barrowman is a vision!
    G
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I am very please to see Mr Turin acknowledging that even he can make a mistake and raising the review.

I just wore it to work today and loved it. I shave with Barbasol and wearing this after shaving made me feel very mature and clean.

Am I the only person who likes the original instead of the "Intense" version?

"Intense," for me, was just that...and I'm ordinarily a fan of powerful scents. But not this one.

I like the original much more than the intense version. It's just my opinon but I've owned both and the original rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    I am very please to see Mr Turin acknowledging that even he can make a mistake and raising the review.

I just wore it to work today and loved it. I shave with Barbasol and wearing this after shaving made me feel very mature and clean.
    Well, actually he said that it was a typo, not a change in the judgement of the fragrance.

I don't know, I still cannot figure out why Rive Gauche is overlooked and underrated by most of my circle of friends and acquaintances, while I seem to be the only one who enjoys and even worships it, but I cannot stop wondering why most of the perfume-loving females I know hardly notice it, while the most perfume loving males I know, who seem to spend not just top dollar, but lost of intellectual knowledge and sense of style on their perfume buys, mostly don't even consider testing this one, not to mention buying. Bizarre, bizarre... yet I continue being smitten by Rive Gauche just the same.

Is Rive Gauche a good blind buy? Or would I already have its bases covered with Eau Sauvage and Pour Monsieur '55?
    I tried finding it at Macy's and Nordstroms just now for testing, with no luck...

Thanks

Matthew

I use to have Rive Gauche but I sold my bottle. I think it smells great but felt it was too mature for me. It just kept reminding me of my grandfather too much unfortunately. I tried to like it but I think maybe in another 15 years if it is still around it will be perfect for me

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Is Rive Gauche a good blind buy? Or would I already have its bases covered with Eau Sauvage and Pour Monsieur '55?
    I tried finding it at Macy's and Nordstroms just now for testing, with no luck...

Thanks

Matthew
    Not a good blind buy. Matthew, it looks like you are new here, so, first, welcome. Second, many members around here will tell you the same thing: blind buys are always a bad idea and are risky. Please try and use a website like ThePerfumedCourt.com to purchase some samples. This is the best way to go. Also, I think Scentmonkey.com sells samples at a cheaper price, but their selection is not as good as TPC, but they should, without a doubt, have Give Gauche PH.

With respect to Rive Gauche being similar to Eau Sauvage; they are very very different scents. Here are the notes of Eau Sauvage:

Top Notes
    Lemon, Rosemary.

Middle Notes
    Petitgrain, Basil.

Base Notes
    Vetiver.

Here are the notes of Rive Gauche:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Star Anise, Rosemary.

Middle Notes
    Lavender, Geranium Leaves, Cloves .

Base Notes
    Vetiver, Gaiac Wood, Patchouli.

As you can see the notes are very different, and, without a doubt both fragrances smell worlds apart. To put it simply, Eau Sauvage, a great scent, has a citrusy vibe and Rive Gauche has a refined barbershop feel to it (no citrus at all).

With respect to Rive Gauche smelling like Pour Monsieur, I can't help you there because I have never smelled Pour Monsieur, but use the directory and compare the notes.

Itīs difficult to describe RG and so itīs not a good blind buy. But i would say if you donīt expect an sweet, light, common fresh, komplex frag it could be a winner for you too. I did test it at first at a card in summer and didnīt like it but then later at my skin and did like it much much more. Did buy it then online with the shower gel for around 35 € and use it every 2-3 day in rotation with Terre d.Hermes and Cartier Declaration. I did buy it this summer but didnot use it much then so i cannot say how well it will be this summer. I am dressed every work day with a suit and the combination with RG is very fine (that donīt means you need an suit or jacket to wear it - no definetely not). It was a long time ago an topic with intelligent scents in which RG was at the top of the list. I am not sure if it is but i like it a lot. Itīs classic but different. And i find it interesting that nobody else till now did wear it :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 17th February 2009 at 05:34 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

That's IT!!! I'm definately wearing RG tommorow

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Yep, well deserved...now can we expect for Beyond Paradise for Men to be downgraded from a 5 to a 1 anytime soon? Turin may see the light on that one eventually; only if Calice will look the other way.
    Some of us (ok, apparently a very small group of us) think he actually got it right with Beyond Paradise. Time will tell of course but my nose money is on BP for the long haul. (It is one of my top twenty).

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Some of us (ok, apparently a very small group of us) think he actually got it right with Beyond Paradise. Time will tell of course but my nose money is on BP for the long haul. (It is one of my top twenty).

Griff
    You are still and will always be one of my favorite basenoters Griff!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

There IS justice in this world, after all. RG is great, and actually beyond any rating. I got and fell in love with RG totally ignorant of LT's rating.

Long live the house of YSL
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!