Code of Conduct

Default HydroFluoroCarbon HFC-134a

Hello Everybody,

I have just joined your forum and this is my first post here. I have virtually no knowledge of fragrances but I am involved in the production of cultivated agarwood in Laos. I would like to ask if anyone here has any experience of essential oils extracted using hydrofluorocarbon HFC-134a? I understand that different extraction techniques (such as supercritical CO2, hexane, steam distillation, etc) can affect the quality of the oil. I wonder if oil produced using HFC-134a is inferior, superior or just different to oil produced using other techniques.

Thanks.
    Best regards,
    InLaos.

Default Re: HydroFluoroCarbon HFC-134a

When I was an auto mechanic, I used alot of R-12 (dichlorodifluoromethane), which contains only mineral oil for the sole purpose of lubricating the internal parts of the car's air conditioning system. When we switched over to HFC - 134a (Dupont's Suva), which didn't tear as much of a hole in the ozone, contained only Polyalkylene glycol (PAG) and polyol ester (POE). To extract it from the gas itself it had to be heated in the a presence of copper, steel, and aluminum strips in an oven for to weeks at 175C (347F). If the perfume industry uses it as a component in its manufacturing I'd be very surprised. I'm not saying they don't, just that I've never heard of it. If they're using these lubricants as "essential oils", that's scary. I'll take the agarwood anyday.

Oh, and welcome to the forum InLaos
    Last edited by silverbullet; 19th September 2008 at 03:28 PM.

If they're using these lubricants as "essential oils", that's scary.
    The OP is asking about using pure HFC-134a as a solvent for extracting agarwood oil. The lubricants that are used in an HFC-134a based refrigerant have nothing to do with the OP's question.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    The OP is asking about using pure HFC-134a as a solvent for extracting agarwood oil. The lubricants that are used in an HFC-134a based refrigerant have nothing to do with the OP's question.
    Yep, you're right. Thanks for straightening that out I misread the question.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 19th September 2008 at 08:03 PM.